Skip to main content


14:29 24th June 2016

Yeovil Town 0-0 Grimsby Town

GRIMSBY Town began the post-Paul Hurst era by claiming a point from a goalless draw with Yeovil Town at Huish Park.
The Mariners produced a solid display and could have taken the lead on a number of occasions during a first half in which they had the better chances.
Omar Bogle had the pick of them, testing home keeper Artur Krysiak with a drive from 25 yards after he had seen a penalty claim turned down earlier in the half.
After the break, the hosts came into the game more but could not do enough to break down the Town defence as the game ended level.
Caretaker boss Dave Moore made two changes to the Grimsby side that lost to Cheltenham in what turned out to be Hurst’s last game in charge before leaving for Shrewsbury.
Scott Vernon and Tom Bolarinwa were the men to come into the starting XI, with Kayden Jackson and Dominic Vose making way.
James McKeown started in goal, with Zak Mills, Danny Collins, Josh Gowling and Danny Andrew forming an unchanged defence.
James Berrett, Craig Disley, Luke Summefield and Bolarinwa were the midfielders, with Vernon partnering Bogle in attack.
Jackson and Vose were both named on the bench, along with Shaun Pearson, Rhys Browne, Andrew Boyce, Brandon Comley and Dean Henderson.
Yeovil came into the game having won each of their last three league games, all by a score of 1-0.  That recent run of good form had taken them to 13th in the League Two table, one point adrift of the eighth-placed Mariners.
Town’s first attack of note came on four minutes and saw Bogle turn and charge into the Yeovil penalty area before going down under a challenge by right-back Bevis Mugabi.  The striker appealed for a penalty but referee Brendan Malone instead pointed for a goal kick to the hosts.
A free kick soon afterwards saw Veron flick Summerfield’s delivery on but nobody in the red of the Mariners could get on the end of it.
A foul by Gowling after Summerfield had given the ball away brought a free kick for the home side on eight minutes, although Matt Dolan’s shot from it caused no problems for McKeown as the ball sailed over the bar.
Otis Khan saw an effort blocked by Collins after Alex Lawless had taken the ball forward down the hosts’ left, with Lawless then committing a foul after Summerfield had completed the clearance.
The next chance went to the visitors and saw keeper Krysiak called into serious action for the first time, pushing the ball over his bar after Bogle had turned and shot from 25 yards.
Yeovil’s first corner came on 19 minutes but caused no problems, as Dolan’s delivery was caught by McKeown.
Bogle threatened again soon afterwards, getting the ball from Mills after the right-back had beaten three defenders but placing his shot just wide.
The hosts were forced into an early change in attack when on-loan West Brom striker Tahvon Campbell was forced off with an injury on 24 minutes.  He was replaced by Tom Eaves.
Good defending by Collins saw him beat the substitute to the ball following a quick break after Berrett had gone down in the Yeovil box.  When play stopped, Berrett was booked for diving.
A Town free kick soon afterwards was headed down by Disley but the Mariners were unable to take advantage.
Ryan Hedges had an effort blocked by Collins on 36 minutes, before Mugabi went into the referee’s notebook for a foul on Berrett.
Mills did well to head a cross clear under pressure from Dolan as Yeovil attacked four minutes before the break, before Bogle was denied a shooting opportunity by Alex Lacey.
At the other end, Collins did well to win a goal kick after a mistake by Mills looked to have given the home side an opportunity.
Two added minutes were played at the end of a half where Town had done most of the attacking and seemed the more likely to get an opening goal, although with no further chances for either side before the half-time whistle, it remained goalless at the interval.
No further changes were made before the restart and the Mariners had the first chance of the second half, with Mills going through the middle and finding Berrett, who fired off-target.
A foul on Bolarinwa earned left-back Nathan Smith a yellow card and the resulting free kick from Summerfield led to Collins heading over the bar.
More good play by Bogle earned a corner but Town were unable to profit from it, then a long ball forward from the hosts was flicked on by Eaves but after the ball was played across the six-yard box, nobody could get on the end of it to tap it into the net.
The Yeovil pressure was building and Collins had to hook the ball clear from a corner that had bounced in the six-yard box, before a foul by Disley on Eaves gave the home side a free kick inside the Grimsby half.  From it, Eaves was crowded out by Town defenders and the ball was cleared.
A shot by Khan was blocked by Mills, before Boarinwa was stopped at the other end by Smith, with the resulting corner being flicked away for a Town throw-in.
Khan was replaced by Francois Zoko moments later and the substitute looped a header over McKeown but onto the roof of the net from a corner on 66 minutes.
A Town attack down the right eventually saw Vernon play the ball across goal but Berrett could not bring it under control and instead, it went out for a goal kick.
Berrett was involved again soon afterwards, meeting a cross but heading straight at keeper Krysiak, who caught the ball.
At the other end, a cross from Lawless went over the head of Ryan Hedges but the hosts kept possession and the ball was worked to Eaves, whose header failed to cause any problems.
Disley had to concede a corner as Mugabi threatened with a driving run into the box, although the flag-kick was claimed by McKeown.
Comley replaced Disley in Grimsby’s first substitution of the game with 12 minutes to go.
Berrett let fly with a 20-yard shot two minutes later, which Krysiak pushed away from his goal.
Browne was the next to come off the Town bench as he replaced Bolarinwa on 82 minutes, while Jackson came on for Vernon for the last five minutes as both sides continued to search for a breakthrough.
Dolan headed over the bar for the hosts from a cross, before an Andrew cross for Town hit Mugabi and went out for a throw-in.
A foul on Mills gave the Mariners a free kick with a minute to go, which was whipped in by Summerfield and headed on by Gowling.  Town kept possession until Mills fired well wide of Krysiak’s target.
Three added minutes were signalled but neither side could force a late winner, meaning they had to settle for a point apiece.
Town are next in action when they travel to Bolton Wanderers in the FA Cup on Saturday


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.