Skip to main content

Arch Of Triumph

PUBLISHED

00:05 2nd November 2015

by Rob Briggs

Following the recent improvements inside Blundell Park, the summer of 1930 then saw the surrounding area changed beyond all recognition.

The space on the Grimsby Road side - empty since the club relocated to Cleethorpes, save for a portion given over to a car park and allotments - saw the building of the Imperial and Constitutional Avenues.  One month later, in July 1930, GTFC took advantage of the new Imperial Avenue thoroughfare to construct an archway at the club's boundary including turnstiles and exit, with the eventual aim that this would mark the official approach to the ground.

Mariners' supporters of a certain age will remember this impressive arch that remained in place until 1981, when both it and the Barrett Stand were demolished in favour of the new Findus Stand.  Consisting of four pillars the middle span displayed the club's name, while either side were reminders of GTFC's year of formation (1878) and the year of construction.

Future plans included the building of a new boardroom and offices on a first-floor level to incorporate the arch, but for various reasons this was another idea that failed to get off the drawing board, and fans visiting the ground on official business had to continue making the trek to the other side on Harrington Street.

Town's home form during 1930/31 was vastly improved from the previous term ensuring a comfortable midtable placing, a position helped by the 8-2 demolition of Leicester City on 1 November - Grimsby's best-ever win in top-flight football.  Tim Coleman's four goals proved he was an ideal replacement for the transferred Joe Robson, the forward going on to hit 35 goals in only 38 games.

tiny_mighty

    Related Articles