Job title: Foundation Phase Lead.
Pay Scale: £22,000 PA.
Responsible to: The Academy Manager and or Head of Academy Coaching.
Responsible For: Pre Academy and Foundation Phase Staff, Players, Parents / Carers.
Locations: Blundell Park, Cheapside Training Ground and the Oasis Academy Wintringham.
Purpose of the job:
To lead and manage the Pre-Academy (U7’s & U8’s) and Foundation Phase (U9’s-U12’s) coaching staff and players; be responsible for managing the delivery of coaching within it; and assist player transition into the Youth Development Phase (U13’s-U16’s).
Main areas of responsibility:
• To liaise with the Academy Manager and/or Head of Coaching on matters relating to the Pre-Academy and Foundation Phase.
• To work in line with the Academy Philosophy, upholding the Academy’s aims, vision and values at all times.
• To work within and uphold all the Academy’s policies and best practice guidelines, including, but not limited to: Safeguarding Children and Young People, Health & Safety, Safer Recruitment, Equality Diversity and Inclusion and Codes of Conduct.
• To assist with the coaching of Academy teams and players as and when required.
• To attend and play an active role in regular Academy Management Team (AMT) meetings, reporting on the Pre-Academy and Foundation Phase player performance, progression, development and transition.
• To organise and lead 12 weekly Foundation Phase Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT) [Head of Education and Player Welfare, Medical and Sports Science staff, all phase coaches] meetings, record minutes, assign actions, report relevant matters to AMT.
• To keep up to date with all English Football League (EFL), Premier League (PL) and Football Association (FA) rules and regulations relevant to the role.
• To maintain FA Licensed Coach status ensuring FA Safeguarding Certificate, Emergency First Aid in Football (EFAiF) and FA Criminal Records Check are valid and in date.
• To attend at least 5 hours in-service training, provided by The FA or EFL each year.
• To attend appropriate internal CPD as organised by the Club.
• To liaise with the Pre-Academy and Foundation Phase Players, Parents/Carers with regards to player development, progress and welfare.
• To maintain and promote up to date knowledge of Club/Academy policies, guidelines and best practice recommendations.
• To monitor and manage the PMA data entry of all Pre-Academy and Foundation Phase staff, including but not limited to: session plans, evaluations and attendance registers.
• To ensure that all that all relevant PMA administration is kept up to date for the Pre-Academy and Foundation Phase including but not limited to: fixture information, Individual Learning Plans (ILPs), 12 weekly reviews, Half and End of Year Assessments.
• To ensure all Foundation Phase players participate in at least the minimum amount of playing time set out in the EFL Youth Development Rules.
• To contribute, adapt and evolve the current Foundation Phase coaching programme in co-ordination with the Academy Manager and Head of Academy Coaching in order to aid the progression of the Phase.
• To report any safeguarding and/or welfare concerns to the Academy Designated Safeguarding Officer (DSO), Club Lead DSO or other external agencies as per the Club/Academy Safeguarding Policy and Procedures.
• To act as match day coordinator for Academy home fixtures, ensuring necessary arrangements are in place and appropriate including, pitch and pitch setup, changing room availability for teams, coaches and officials with relevant signage in place.
• To manage the transition of players through the Pre-Academy and Foundation Phase age groups.
• To work closely with the Head of Academy Recruitment and other Recruitment staff in the identification and selection of potential Pre-Academy and Foundation Phase trialists, ensuring the Club attracts and retains the highest standard of player possible.
• To develop and maintain positive relationships with grassroots teams, managers/coaches and other such officials.
• To maintain and monitor all Academy equipment and resources available to, and utilised by, the Pre-Academy and Foundation Phase.
• To be prepared to do undertake all other duties that may arise from time to time and fall within the scope of this position.
• UEFA B Licence.
• Relevant age-specific FA Advanced Youth Award.
• FA Safeguarding Certificate.
• Basic First Aid for Sport (BFAS), current EFAiF.
• Educated to degree level, in relevant subject.
• Full clean driving licence, including minibus.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
• Strong leadership and management skills.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Experience working with the Premier League PMA system.
• A working knowledge and understanding of professional football.
• Experience in talent identification and recruitment of players.
• An understanding of sports science.
• Competence in MS Office packages with experience of recording and reporting information.
• Experience of working with children and young people and an excellent understanding of Child Protection and Safeguarding procedures.
• An understanding of the EFL Youth Development rules and regulations.
Supervision / Management of People:
• Foundation Phase and Pre-Academy coaches and volunteers.
• Foundation Phase and Pre-Academy players, parents/carers.
• Academy Manager
• Head of Academy Coaching
• Head of Education and Welfare
• Operations Manager
• Lead PDP Coach
• Lead YDP Coach
• Senior Academy Physiotherapist
• Lead Sports Scientist / Strength and Conditioning Coach
• Head of Recruitment and Scouts
• Academy Administrator
• Designated Safeguarding Officer
• Academy Goalkeeper Coach
• Governing bodies, including PL, EFL and The FA
• Professional Game Academy Audit Company (PGAAC) or other such appointed auditors
• Grass roots coaches/managers and other officials
• Oasis Academy Wintringham staff
Grimsby Town Football Club is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This role involves the supervision of and work with children and young people. This role will require a Criminal Records Check (CRC) through the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and clearance for work in football by The FA. As such this role is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and the applicant must disclose all previous convictions including spent convictions.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion:
Grimsby Town Football Club’s commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion is to confront and eliminate discrimination whether by reason of age, gender, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marital status or civil partnership race, nationality, ethnicity (race), religion or
belief, ability or disability, pregnancy or maternity and to encourage equal opportunities (Protected Characteristics, Equality Act 2010).
Employees of Grimsby Town Football Club must ensure a positive commitment towards equality, diversity and inclusion by treating others fairly and not committing any form of direct or indirect discrimination, victimisation or harassment of any description and to promote positive working relationships between all internal and external stakeholders.
Grimsby Town Football Club supports The English Football League’s (EFL) introduction of positive action measures aimed at tackling the under-representation of coaches and managers from Black, Asian and Minority Ethic (BAME) backgrounds. Grimsby Town Football Club will shortlist at least one suitably qualified BAME candidate (where an application has been received) for all roles within the Academy which require a UEFA A or UEFA B Licence.
Grimsby Town Football Club Academy is required to keep on record personal data of all employees and volunteers. Personal data is any information that can lead to the identification of a specific individual.
Data we collect relates to various groups of data subjects (i.e. individuals) including parents, carers, players, our employees, volunteers and others involved in the life of the Academy. Data is collected for a variety of purposes including our legal and educational obligations, as well as statistical reporting.
Some personal information we process is required to meet these obligations, whilst other information we process requires the specific consent of the individual and is optional; these circumstances are clearly indicated where relevant. All data is retained and managed in accordance with current GDPR.
How to apply: