Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
07 April 2018 Venue Blundell Park Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

Chesterfield Preview

Andy Phillips previews Saturday afternoon's crunch clash with Chesterfield.

6 April 2018

Lee Blease
Michael Jolley

It is an important day for Town on Saturday afternoon (3pm) as they host Chesterfield at Blundell Park in a game that could very well decide the fate of both clubs come the end of the campaign.

Fixture News

Madley In Charge Against Chesterfield

5 April 2018
Ticket News

Ticket news for Grimsby Town vs Chesterfield on 07 Apr 18

7 April 2018

A bumper crowd is expected for the crunch clash between the two sides as both look to earn enough points to retain their EFL status for another campaign.

With Town four points ahead of Chesterfield in the bottom two and the Spireites having three games in hand following their postponement against Newport County at the weekend, Saturday would be an ideal time for Michael Jolley's side to end their winless run and so he will be hoping for both a positive performance and result

Team news

Town look set to remain without Ben Davies through injury, whilst Malik Wilks has returned to Leeds United after he went off with a hamstring injury against Stevenage last weekend and so those two will continue to join Charles Vernam and Paul Dixon on the sidelines.

The game is also likely to come too soon for Walsall loanee Simeon Jackson, but he is making good progress and could feature against Barnet, whilst Karleigh Osborne could also come into contention for a place in the matchday squad.

Chesterfield aiming to survive

It has been a difficult season for Chesterfield as they look to avoid a second relegation in a row but boss Jack Lester has brought them some hope since taking over earlier in the season.

The former Town and Chesterfield striker took over in September after a nightmare start to the season saw the club win only one of their first 10 games.

Although the club have remained in and amongst the relegation zone, they have shown signs of a young squad that has potential, which was shown in front of the television cameras when they beat Notts County 3-1 last weekend.

They followed that up with a 2-1 defeat to Port Vale, which perhaps shows their inconsistency and one of the reasons they are fighting to avoid relegation.

Despite their position, they are capable of scoring goals and in striker Kristian Dennis, they have a player that has hit 17 goals this season and the Mariners will have to keep quiet. The likes of Wigan Athletic loanee Andy Kellett and Zavon Hines are also talented players on their day.

An opening day victory for Town

The reverse fixture between the two sides saw Town come away with an opening day victory that showed much promise as they beat Chesterfield 3-1 at the Proact Stadium way back in August.

First half goals from Nathan Clarke and Sam Jones gave Town a two goal lead on the day before Chesterfield got a goal back through Dennis and it was down to Ben Davies to settle the nerves as he sealed the victory three minutes later from the penalty spot.

The two sides have met 91 times in their history, with Town winning 39 and Chesterfield winning 29 along with 23 draws.

Managers in summary

Michael Jolley: ''We know that they are a team that are capable of producing good results. I saw them recently beat Notts County and they are a very capable team, so we are in for a difficult fixture but I believe that they are as well, so it should be a good game. Nobody needs to tell us how important Saturday is. We hope and expect our supporters to create a really good atmosphere, get right behind the team, stick with the team through the 90 minutes. If they can do that, we will do everything in our power again to try to repay them with the result we all want.”

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Match Report: Grimsby Town 1-0 Chesterfield

Town end long winless run to claim a vital three points against relegation rivals

7 April 2018

Lee Blease
Mitch Rose celebrates after tucking a penalty away

Grimsby Town ended their 20-game winless run as they picked up a precious three points against relegation rivals Chesterfield at Blundell Park.

In a tense game between two of the sides battling to escape the drop from League Two, it was Mitch Rose's late penalty which proved to be the difference.

The result moved the Mariners seven points clear of their visitors and gave the home fans in a bumper 6,780 crowd renewed hope ahead of the remaining four games of the season.

Two changes were made to the Town side that lost at Wycombe on Easter Monday, wih Siriki Dembele and JJ Hooper coming in for Zak Mills and James Berrett.

James McKeown started in goal, with Reece Hall-Johnson, Nathan Clarke, Danny Collins and Andrew Fox forming the defence.

Dembele, Luke Summerfield, Rose and Martyn Woolford were the midfielders, wih Scott Vernon partnering Hooper in attack.

Mills was named among the substitutes, along with Ben Killip, Harry Cardwell, Jamille Matt, Diallang Jaiyesimi, Gary McSheffrey and Sean McAllister.

Chesterfield were looking for a victory which would close the gap between themselves and the Mariners to just a point and give them real hope of avoiding the drop to the National League.

They would rely on the likes of Kristian Dennis, Zavon Hines and Andy Kellett to cause problems fo the Grimsby defence.

An early free kick from Louis Reed was headed clear by Hooper, before a foul by Alex Whitmore on Vernon gave the Mariners a free kick in a similar position near the halfway line.  Summerfield's ball was cleared after Vernon had headed it on.

A low ball into the Town box from winger Jacob Brown was dealt with by Clarke, then another foul by Whitmore gave Grimsby another chance to put pressure on the Chesterfield goal, this time from 30 yards and in a central position.  Fox sent his shot high over the bar.

The game's first corner came on seven minutes and went to the visitors after a cross from Drew Talbot was put behind.  Hines' low delivery was deflected away for another one after it had reached Dennis at the near post and this time, the ball from the flag was cleared.

The away pressure continued with another corner, which was cleared by Summerfield, before visiting keeper Aaron Ramsdale's first involvement saw him get to a low cross from Hooper ahead of Vernon.

A low cross from Hall-Johnson on the Town right was deflected over the bar for a corner on 13 minutes but Summerfield's delivery was headed clear.

An opening for the visitors came on 19 minutes when a counter-attack saw Brown make progress through the middle before passing to Kellett, whose curling shot went over the bar.

A Fox free kick from near the halfway line was caught by Ramsdale, who quickly launched a counter-attack that ended with a good challenge by Hall-Johnson on Hines.

Another free kick, this time on the right, saw Clarke meet Fox's delivery but the ball was gathered by Ramsdale.

Hines dragged a low shot wide of McKeown's target, before a good run by Fox down the left resulted in a throw-in which was hammered clear by Talbot after Rose's throw was headed on.

A Grimsby corner on 26 minutes was dealt with by Ramsdale, then another long throw from Rose had the same result, with Talbot clearing.

A Kellett free kick was headed clear by Clarke as both sides continued to struggle to test the opposing goalkeeper, with Dembele failing to pick out a team-mate with a low cross and Hooper sending a long-range shot well over the bar.

McKeown had to make a save when Kellett shot from 18 yards after linking up well with Dennis, before Kellett had another chance when he picked the ball up inside his own half and made progress to the edge of the penalty area.  His shot was weak though and McKeown got down to make a comfortable stop.

The visitors were starting to step things up now and McKeown was called into action again on 39 minutes, diving to push a volley from Dennis away for a corner, which was cleared.

Brown had a chance to create some danger after Fox slipped in his own penalty area but the winger's cross-shot was pushed out by McKeown for a corner.  That turned into another flag-kick, which was cleared.

A chance then came at the other end when Hooper found space to shoot from inside the box but keeper Ramsdale was equal to it, coming off his line to block the striker's effort.

Kellett won another Chesterfield corner as the away side appeared to be finishing the half the stronger of the two teams but when the ball fom the flag was headed over the bar by Whitmore, it proved to be the last action before the interval.

The game had been played at a fast pace by two committed teams and both would be confident of building on their efforts further after the break.

No changes were made before the restart and Town had a chance within seconds when a long throw was met by Clarke but his header was kept out by Ramsdale at the expense of a corner.

A cross from Woolford was pushed away by Ramsdale, before a low cross at the other end was flicked clear by Clarke.

Fox was shown the first yellow card of the afternoon for bringing Kellett down on the halfway line and after the resulting free kick was lofted into the box, Whitmore's overhead kick was blocked before Town managed to get the ball clear.

Another foul on dangerman Kellett brought a booking for Woolford and gave Chesterfield a free kick in a central position. Reed's delivery was met by Dennis but he could not get any power on his header and the ball went through to McKeown.

Town's reponse saw a powerful effort by Dembele blocked, before the hosts again went close to opening the scoring when a header was blocked but after a scramble, the ball was eventually cleared off the line.

Jak McCourt replaced Hines for Chesterfield on the hour, before a chance for the Mariners saw Dembele fire high and wide from the edge of the box.

Dembele was booked for a foul on Talbot, then Town's first substitution saw Jaiyesimi replace Hooper.

Cardwell came on for Vernon on 71 minutes and the third and final home change saw McSheffrey come on for Dembele, who had landed awkwardly after jumping for a header.

Reed was booked for a foul on McSheffrey near the halfway line but the Mariners were unable to create any danger from the resulting free kick as the referee spotted a push by Jaiyesimi.

Chris O'Grady replaced midfielder Robbie Weir for the last nine minutes as Chesterfield boss Jack Lester added to his attack in a bid to force a breakthrough goal.

A long throw from Rose on 84 minutes was heaaded out for a corner but the ball from the flag was cleared.

Soon afterwards came another long throw and this time, the Mariners were given their golden chance to make that vital breakthrough.  As the ball came into the box, a handball by Sid Nelson was spotted and the referee pointed to the penalty spot.  ROSE stepped up and found the bottom corner of the net to spark wild celebrations around the ground.

A shot from Dennis was saved by McKeown as six minutes of added time was signalled and despite Chesterfield attacks, the Mariners saw out the remainder of the game to clinch their first win since December 9 and as the final whistle blew, more celebrations started.

Town are next in action on Saturday, when they face another massive game against fellow relegation rivals Barnet at Blundell Park.

Grimsby Town

1 James McKeown 
31 Reece Hall-Johnson 
23 Andrew Fox 
5 Nathan Clarke (C) 
6 Danny Collins 
8 Mitch Rose 
27 Siriki Dembele 
19 Luke Summerfield 
25 Martyn Woolford 
9 JJ Hooper 
21 Scott Vernon


30 Ben Killip 
12 Zak Mills 
20 Diallang Jaiyesimi 
4 Sean McAllister 
17 Harry Cardwell 
29 Jamille Matt 
10 Gary McSheffrey


1 Aaron Ramsdale 
27 Bradley Barry 
22 Drew Talbot 
35 Sid Nelson 
33 Alex Whitmore 
28 Robbie Weir (C) 
44 Jacob Brown 
25 Louis Reed 
24 Andy Kellett 
41 Zavon Hines 
9 Kristian Dennis


12 Joe Anyon 
20 Laurence Maguire 
17 George Smith 
26 Jak McCourt 
15 Joe Rowley 
19 Louis Dodds 
10 Chris O'Grady

Referee: Bobby Madley

Attendance: 6780 (1470)

Next Up: Barnet (H)

Advertisement block

Ticket News

Secure Your Seat

We are expecting a bumper gate of up to 6500 for Saturday’s showdown with Chesterfield at Blundell Park (3pm).

7 April 2018

Secure your seat to avoid disappointment.

Club News

Youtube | We've Met Before

4 April 2018

Young's Lower - Single Seats Only
Young's Upper - Slight Restricted View Only
Pontoon - Good Availability
Main - Good Availability
Away - Limited Availability

We are expecting a bumper gate of up to 6500 for Saturday’s showdown with Chesterfield at Blundell Park (3pm).

We are anticipating a good following from the Spireites too, with around 1400 expected set to make the trip from Derbyshire.

The Mariners are currently four points clear of the relegation places, but Saturday's visitors do have three games in hand.

Secure your seat to avoid disappointment. There is still good availability in the Main Stand and Pontoon stand. 

Tickets are currently on sale at Early Bird prices and are available from our Online Ticket Office, from the Blundell Park Ticket Office, or by Calling 01472 605050.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block