Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
26 August 2017 Venue Blundell Park Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

Read | Wycombe Preview

Andy Phillips previews Saturday's clash with Wycombe Wanderers.

25 August 2017

Town host Wycombe Wanderers at Blundell Park on Saturday afternoon (3pm) as they look to get back to winning ways.

Club News

Download Your Wycombe Programme

27 August 2017

The Mariners will be hoping to build on an encouraging display against Derby County in the Carabao Cup in midweek as they take on a Chairboys side that will be looking to pick up their second victory on the road of the campaign.


Pre Wycombe Press Conference

24 August 2017

Two out through suspension

Town will be without Sam Jones, who serves the the second of a three match suspension, as well as Ben Davies following his dismissal on Tuesday night. Scott Vernon is ruled as having a 50-50 chance by boss Russell Slade after missing the last two games with a calf strain. Long term absentees Akwasi Asante, Jamey Osborne and Sean McAllister remain a way away.

Wycombe midfielder Sam Jones and strikers Nathan Tyson and Paris Cowan-Hall all missed their Chairboys' trip to Notts County but manager Gareth Ainsworth is hoping for some positive news on their front, whilst defender Anthony Stewart could make his debut for the club. Experienced striker Craig Mackail-Smith is also pushing for a start after making his first appearance of the season last weekend.

Fixture News

Heywood In Charge Against Wycombe

23 August 2017

Chairboys aiming for play-offs

Wycombe will be aiming for the play-offs last season after a ninth place finish last campaign and have given themselves plenty to build on.

The Chairboys had one of the better defences in the league last season but have conceded ten goals so far already so will be looking to improve on that, although on the positive side for them they have scored seven in their three league games so have plenty of firepower at their disposal.

Big striker Adebayo Akinfenwa has scored two of those and remains a constant threat after singing a new deal over the summer, whilst the youth of Dayle Southwell and the experience of both Nathan Tyson and Craig Mackail-Smith, who joined from Luton Town, gives boss Gareth Ainsworth plenty of firepower at his disposal. Egyptian defender Adam El-Abd signed from Shrewsbury Town in the summer and was immediately made captain so it will be hoped the former Brighton man can make an impact.

Gareth Ainsworth took charge at Wycombe took charge in 2012 and turned the club's fortunes around, reaching the play-off final in 2015 when they lost on penalties to Southend. The Chairboys haven't reached the promotion positions again since then but with his ability to attract players to the club, it wouldn't be a surprise if they are to do so this campaign.

A Wycombe double last season

Town will be looking for revenge after Wycombe picked up six points from both games that the two teams played last campaign.

The first of those was Town's second game of the season last August as the Mariners headed to Adams Park for the first time in seven years. A Sido Jombati free-kick was cancelled out by an Andrew Boyce equaliser with eleven minutes to go before just as it looked like Town were going to pick up a point, Anthony Stewart popped up to take advantage of a long throw and an Akinfenwa flick on to win the game for Wycombe.

The return game at Blundell Park came in March when a penalty from last season's Young Player of the Year Callum Dyson gave Town an early lead before Wycombe turned the game around in the second half through an unfortunate Danny Collins own goal before a Paris Cowan-Hall winner with just under 20 minutes remaining.

Managers in summary

Russell Slade: ''(It'll be a) physical, powerful battle. A very direct team, but they know what they’re doing without a shadow of a doubt, so it’ll be a tough battle – one where you’ve got to roll your sleeves up and not one for the faint-hearted. That’s the focus, and it’s our next opportunity. We need to embrace this challenge, and go out there and get us off the ground at home and get three points, and that would look a lot better going forward.''

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Match Report: Grimsby Town 2-3 Wycombe Wanderers

Town denied after fighting back from two goals down

26 August 2017

Sponsored by

Lee Blease
JJ opens his account for Town against Wycombe

Grimsby Town fought back from two goals down but went on to lose a third league game in a row as Wycombe Wanderers won at Blundell Park.

In an entertaining contest, the visitors took the lead through Adebayo Akinfenwa just before the half-hour, then doubled their advantage when Joe Jacobson scored from the penalty spot.

Town pulled one back when Mitch Rose converted the game's second penalty before Danny Collins, who had been booked when conceding the spot-kick in the first half, was sent off for getting a second yellow card.

The fightback looked to be complete when JJ Hooper rifled in his first goal for the Mariners from long range.

But Akinfenwa had he final say as he grabbed his second goal of the game to ensure the home side's efforts would be in vain.

One change was made to the Town side after the midweek cup defeat by Derby County, with Zak Mills coming in for the suspended Ben Davies.

James McKeown began in goal, with Mills, Nathan Clarke, Collins and Paul Dixon forming the defence.

Tom Bolarrinwa, Rose, James Berrett, Sam Kelly and Siriki Dembele were the midfielders, with Hooper again deployed as a lone frontman.

The substtutes were Ben Killip, Harry Cardwell, Karleigh Osborne, Luke Summerfield, Harry Clifton, Diallang Jaiyesimi and Chris Clements.

Wycombe included big striker Aknfenwa in their starting XI, while his strike partner Craig Mackail-Smith would also be out to cause problems for the Grimsby defence.

An early Town free kick caused no problems as Bolarinwa was caught offside, before a shot from Hooper on the turn was blocked after Kelly had battled well to win a throw-in on the left.

A nice touch from Hooper on the halfway line sent Dembele clear on six minutes but the winger was unable to cause any real danger as the Wycombe defence recovered.

A foul by Dembele on Mackail-Smith gave Wycombe a free kick near the centre circle on 12 minutes but the ball from it was headed clear by Hooper.

And after the Mariners had been the better side in the opening 10 minutes, Wycombe's spell of pressure continued with a left-wing corner, which was also cleared.

Hooper did well at the other end soon afterwards to hold the ball up on the right and find Dembele in the middle, who won a corner.  Kelly's delivery was headed away by Akinfenwa.

The game was beeing played at a fast pace and Hooper won another corner for the hosts on 15 minutes, although Akinfenwa was again in the right place to clear.

Dembele had a chance to burst into the box after a pass from Hooper a minute later but this time, the winger overran it.

Visiting keeper Scott Brown had to comee right to the edge of his area to get his defence out of trouble after a slip looked likely to let Hooper in as Town continued to attack.  Appeals came from the home fans that Brown was outside the box when he handled the ball but referee Mark Heywood, who wwas in a good position, allowed play to go on.

A foul on Berrett gave the hosts a free kick in a promising position on the right on 25 minutes but Kelly's ball was flicked away for a corner before Clarke could connect with a header.  The delivery from the flag was then headed away by Paris Cowan-Hall.

Town fell behind on 28 minutes when the ball was adjuged to have been kept in on the Wycombe right and after Mackail-Smith sent it into the box, it bounced up for AKINFENWA to take a touch and fire home.

Another scare came when the ball was flashed across the Grimsby six-yard box but nobody in the blue of Wycombe could get to it.

At the other end, a good cross came in from Mills on the right but it led to a similar result, as no attacker could meet it.

Collins had to concede a corner on 35 minutes as the game continued to move from end to end and a header from it led to the ball ricocheting around the Town box until Dembele was finally able to bring it clear.

A foul by Hooper gave left-back Jacobson a free kick to take from the right but he could only float the ball into the arms of McKeown.

Town had the ball in the net soon afterwards through Kelly but the whistle had already gone after the offside flag went up against Mills.

Rose was shown the first yellow card of the game on 42 minutes for a foul and from the resulting free kick, the visitors were given the chance to double their advantage when a hanball by Collins was spotted and the referee pointed to the penalty spot.  Collins was booked and JACOBSON stepped up to send McKeown the wrong way from 12 yards to make it 2-0.

A foul by Mackail-Smith on Dixon gave Town an opportunity to get the ball into the danger area but the free kick was headed clear by Michael Harriman.

Then a run from Mills was almost rewarded but Brown saved from the right-back to ensure the only damage would be a corner.

Another Wycombe corner came two minutes into stoppage time but Akinfenwa's header from it dropped wide and the Mariners' deficit remained at two goals at the interval.

Jaiyesimi replaced Kelly for Town before the restart and a foul by Cowan-Hall on Clarke on the halfway line gave them a chance to get the ball into the box from the resulting free kick.  Hooper received it and tried to create an opening but was unable to do so and a goal kick was the result.

Bolarinwa won a free kick after a tangle with Jacobson and after Berrett's delivery from the right, the referee spotted Collins being pulled back by defender Anthony Stewart and pointed for the second penalty of the afternoon.  This time, it was in favour of the hosts and ROSE stepped up to slot it into the corner to halve the deficit and bring the Mariners right back into the contest.

Town were now resurgent, with Dembele having an opportunity and then Mills sending a cross over from the right, which keeper Brown got to first.

A weak attempt by Cowan-Hall at the other end was comfortable for McKeown to stop, before the Mariners were reduced to 10 men for the fifth game in a row, as this time, Collins was given his marching orders for a second bookable offence after a poor challenge on Mackail-Smith.  The resulting free kik was pushed away by McKeown and Town eventually cleared.

Osborne was sent on in place of Bolarinwa as Town boss Russell Slade looked for defensive cover to plug the gap left by Collins.

Marcus Bean replaced Matt Bloomfield for the visitors on 63 minutes, before the Mariners drew themselves level in spectacular style two minutes later.  HOOPER picked the ball up 35 yards out and advanced slightly before picking his spot and powering a shot past Brown and into the net for 2-2.

The pace and skill of Jaiyesimi took him into the Wycombe half before he was fouled on 69 minutes but the resulting free kick did not lead to a chance in front of goal.

Former Mariner Dayle Southwell was given a chance to impress on his return to his old club as he replaced Mackail-Smith for Wycombe on 73 minutes, with Nick Freeman also coming on for Cowan-Hall at the same time.

An the visitors had their lead back soon afterwards, when Harriman was given the space to cross from the right and the ball was met at the far post by AKINFENWA, who nodded it into the net.

Cardwell came on in place of Dembele for the last 12 minutes as Town looked to come from behind once again.

Jaiyesimi showed more pace an trickery to create an opening and shoot from 20 yards, wwith his effort blocked for a corner.

Soon afterwards, Bean was booked for a foul wich gave the Mariners a free kick right of centre.  Dixon's shot was blocked by the Wycombe wall.

Town kept attacking and they won another corner, which was headed away from danger by Akinfenwa.

Adam El-Abd was the latest to be shown a yellow car after pulling Cardwell back as the striker looked to make his way towards the Wycombe box on 89 minutes.

Four added minutes were signalled by the fourth official as the Mariners kept looking to rescue a point.

But they were unable to force a leveller and instead, it was Wycombe who took the points.

Town are next in action on Tuesday, when Doncaster Rovers visit Blundell Park in the Checkatrade Trophy.


1. James McKeown 
12. Zak Mills 
6. Danny Collins 
3. Paul Dixon 
5. Nathan Clarke (C) 
8. Mitch Rose 
7. James Berrett 
11. Sam Kelly
18. Tom Bolarinwa 
9. JJ Hooper
27. Siriki Dembele 


30. Ben Killip 
14. Karleigh Osborne 
22. Chris Clements 
15. Harry Clifton 
20. Diallang Jaiyesimi 
19. Luke Summerfield 
17. Harry Cardwell 


1. Scott Brown 
3. Joe Jacobson 
6. Adam El-Abd (C) 
16. Michael Harriman
5. Anthony Stewart 
10. Matt Bloomfield 
4. Dominic Gape 
17. Luke O'Nien 
20. Adebayo Akinfenwa 
25. Craig Mackail-Smith 
12. Paris Cowan-Hall 


13. Barry Richardson 
2. Sido Jombati 
24. Jack Williams 
8. Marcus Bean 
22. Nick Freeman 
15. Dayle Southwell 

Attendance: 4,016 (187)

Referee: Mark Heywood

Advertisement block

Ticket News

Next Up: Wycombe Wanderers

Gareth Ainsworth's Wycombe side are in town this Saturday.

23 August 2017

Sponsored by

Fixture News

Heywood In Charge Against Wycombe

23 August 2017

The Mariners are back in Sky Bet League Two action this Saturday when Wycombe Wanderers are the visitors to Blundell Park (3pm).

Gareth Ainsworth’s side have drawn one, won one and lost one of their opening league games - including a 2-2 draw against Lincoln City last time out.

Saheed Adebayo Akinfenwa (The Beast) is the obvious threat that the Mariners will have to be aware of on Saturday. Former Town frontman Dayle Southwell is still with the Chairboys.

Early Bird Tickets are available Online, by Calling 01472 605050 or from the Blundell Park Ticket Office. 

Advertisement block

Advertisement block