Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

04 November 2017 Venue Home Park Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English FA Cup

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

Plymouth Preview

Andy Phillips previews the Emirates FA Cup clash with Plymouth Argyle at the weekend.

3 November 2017

Apologies, this video is unvailable.

TOWN are in Emirates FA Cup First Round action on Saturday afternoon (3pm) as they make the long trip to Plymouth Argyle looking to cause an upset.

Russell Slade's men will be looking to take their good run of form in the league into the first round of the world's oldest cup competition, whilst Plymouth will be looking to continue their run of four games unbeaten after a difficult return to life in League Two following promotion last season.

No fresh injury concerns

Town have no fresh injury concerns, although Mitch Rose is still a doubt with an ankle injury that has been troubling him for the past couple of weeks.

Jamille Matt is back in training after missing the game against Cambridge, which will bolster Russell Slade's striking options for the fixture. Jamey Osborne and Sean McAllister will continue their recovery from injury after playing a half each in Craig Disley's benefit game in midweek.   

Plymouth have somewhat of an injury crisis on their hands, particularly in goal where Luke McCormick, Robbert Te Loeke and Kyle Letherhen are all injured, which means Norwich City loanee Remi Matthews will continue to deputise after being given permission by the Canaries to play in the competition.

Striker Ryan Taylor will also miss out after breaking his ankle on the opening day of the season.

Plymouth struggling in League One

It has been a tough return to League One for Plymouth following promotion last year, but they are showing signs of getting things together as of late, so it promises to be a stern test for the Mariners.

Argyle boss Derek Adams has been in charge since September 2015 and guided the Pilgrims to the play-off final in his first season before going that one step further the following year.

The Pilgrims remain bottom of the table despite going four games unbeaten after winning only one of their first 12 games at the start of the season. However, they are continuing to keep faith in Adams and will be hoping that he is able to lead them to survival come the end of the season.

The side have kept the majority of their players since last campaign and will be hoping for a repeat of last season's heroics in the cup, where they made it to the third round and held Liverpool to a goalless draw at Anfield before a 1-0 defeat in the replay. 

Four points for Town last campaign

Town put in two of their best performances of the season against Argyle last season, denying them the League Two title on the final day of the campaign last time out when Shaun Peason's goal in the opening seconds of the game was cancelled out by an equaliser from Argyle striker Jimmy Spencer in a 1-1 draw.

The reverse fixgture also saw a memorable away day victory for Town, as Danny Collins and a second half brace from Omar Bogle saw the Mariners come away with a 3-0 victory to end Plymouth's 14 match unbeaten run at the time. 

Both clubs have met each other 32 times over the years, both sharing 9 wins a piece and drawing 14 games too, so a replay at Blundell Park wouldn't be the most surprising result at the end of play on Saturday afternoon.

Managers in summary

Russell Slade: ''This Plymouth team can counter-attack as well and they’re a big threat from set plays because they’ve got the quality of Graham Carey, who has got a wonderful left foot and can deliver from anywhere. They’ve been very solid, albeit they’ve picked up one win and a few draws, but they do seem to be a little bit more consistent now because they do need to pick up points now rather than later. For the bottom-half of League One and the top-half of League Two, let’s hope there’s not too much between us.''



Advertisement block

Match Reports

Match Report: Plymouth Argyle 1-0 Grimsby Town

Narrow defeat for Town at Home Park.

4 November 2017

Grimsby Town's hopes of an FA Cup run were extinguished as they were knocked out of the competition by League One Plymouth Argyle at Home Park.

Graham Carey's ninth-minute strike eventually proved to be enough to settle this first round tie, although the Mariners pushed hard in an attempt to force at least a replay.

Town put plenty of pressure on the Plymouth goal as the game went on but they were unable to find a way past home keeper Remi  Matthews and a hard-working display went without reward.

Another unchanged starting XI was named by Town boss Russell Slade, with goalkeeper James McKeown protected by a defence of Ben Davies, Nathan Clarke, Danny Collins and Paul Dixon.

Siriki Dembele, James Berrett, Luke Summerfield and Martyn Woolford were the midfielders, with Sam Jones supporting Scott Vernon in attack.

The Grimsby substitutes were JJ Hooper, Zak Mills, Karleigh Osborne, Harry Cardwell, Diallang Jaiyesimi, Jamille Matt and Ben Killip.

For Plymouth, the game would be a welcome distraction from the league, where they find themselves bottom of the table and with just two victories so far this campaign, having been promoted last season.

Town started brightly and had the first shot of the game through Berrett, although it was saved by Matthews.

At the other end, Summerfield did well to deny David Fox a shooting chance after Carey had got past Dixon.

Soon afterwards though, the hosts took the lead when Jake Jervis found CAREY and he did the rest, cutting in from the right onto his left foot and sending the ball beyond McKeown and into the top corner of the net.

A Plymouth corner came on 13 minutes, with the ball eventually ending up with McKeown after a shot from Fox.

Matthews was called into action in the home goal on 17 minutes when he had to stop an attempt from Woolford.

The hosts then went close to a second goal when Carey attacked again but this time, Carey opted to pass to Joel Grant and he was denied by a good challenge from Clarke as he shot, with the ball going out for a corner.

A foul by Berrett on Fox gave Plymouth a free kick in a dangerous position on 20 minutes but McKeown was equal to Carey's shot from it, pushing the ball away for a corner.

The Town keeper was forced into another save on 23 minutes, coming off his line to make a block from Jervis after more good work by Carey.

Grimsby's first corner of the afternoon came a minute later and after it was played short, Woolford eventually managed to get a cross in, only for Jones to be caught offside.

Another corner was won by Vernon as he jumped with keeper Matthews to get to a Davies cross.  From it, the ball was half-cleared but Town worked it back and after a cross from Berrett and a header by Collins, a scramble followed but the Mariners could not force it into the net despite the best efforts of Vernon and Dembele.

A free kick from Summerfield led to an offside decision as Town continued to attack in search of an equaliser, although Clarke had to time a challenge perfectly inside the penalty area at the other end to stop Grant and ensure the deficit remained at one goal.

A foul on Carey gave the home side a free kick on the edge of the box on 38 minutes and from it, the ball eventuallt fell for Fox but his powerful drive was stopped by McKeown.

Berrett's first-time cross at the other end went out for a goal kick after a good build-up by the Mariners, before Carey threatened again for Plymouth, cutting inside and shooting but missing the target.

One added minute was signalled to be played at the end of the half as Berrett won a corner, although the referee spotted an infringement as the ball was sent across from the flag and blew for a home free kick.

That proved to be the last action of the half, with Plymouth retaining their single-goal advantage at the interval but Town howing plenty of positive signs that they were still very much in the contest.

No changes were made before the restart and the first chance of the second half went to the Mariners, with Dembele firing wide after linking up with Vernon.

Carey was shown the first yellow card of the game for a foul on Summerfield, before a penalty appeal by Carey was turned down by referee John Busby.

Play continued as Carey's appeals fell on deaf ears and Town attacked quickly through Dembele and Jones, although Woolford was unable to profit when the ball came to him inside the box, with the winger mis-hitting a shot when one-on-one with keeper Matthews.

Dembele went close to levelling the scores just before the hour, showing some trickery to work an opening before letting fly with a shot from distance that produced a good save from Matthews, who turned the ball away for a corner.

Davies was booked for a foul soon afterwards but Carey's free kick was headed clear for a corner by Collins.

A spell of Town pressure followed, with more good skill by Dembele setting up an attack that was kept going by Vernon but ended when Summerfield fired over the bar for a goal kick.

Jones was caught offside as Town continued to look for an equalising goal, before Matt and Jaiyesimi were sent on in place of Vernon and Woolford in a double substitution.

A Mariners penalty appeal was waved away after Matt went down in the box, before Davies completed a clearance at the other end after Collins had got his head to the ball from a cross.

A well-timed challenge by Yann Songo'o stopped Berrett from getting into a goalscoring position at the expense of a corner but a foul by Clarke on Sonny Bradley as the ball came across gave the hosts a free kick.

Town's final substitution saw Cardwell come on for Dembele with eight minutes to go, before a left-wing cross from Jones almost fell for Matt, only for Matthews to get to it first.

A chance for the visitors came with four minutes to go but Berrett's strike went wide of the target.

Another opportunity to put pressure on the home goal came with a corner soon afterwards but Jones could not direct his header from it towards goal.

Town were pushing hard for the goal that would keep them in the competition and earn a replay but Jones could not get a shot on goal after linking up with Matt.

A Town corner turned into another one after Jaiyesimi's cross was headed away as three added minutes were signalled, although this time, Berrett's delivery was caught by Matthews.

That proved to be Grimsby's last chance to get anything from the game, meaning their participation in this season's FA Cup will not go beyond the first round.

The Mariners are next in action on Wednesday when they face Sunderland Under-21s at Blundell Park in their last Checkatrade Trophy game, before the league campaign continues with another long trip to the south-west to face Exeter City on Saturday.

Plymouth Argyle

34 Remi Matthews 
3 Gary Sawyer (C) 
17 Aaron Taylor-Sinclair 
5 Ryan Edwards 
15 Sonny Bradley 
4 Yann Songo'o 
10 Graham Carey 
24 David Fox 
32 Toumani Diagouraga 
16 Joel Grant 
14 Jake Jervis


31 Michael Cooper 
2 Gary Miller 
8 Lionel Ainsworth 
11 Ruben Lameiras 
21 Gregg Wylde 
13 Nathan Blissett 
27 Alex Fletcher

Grimsby Town

1 James McKeown 
2 Ben Davies 
3 Paul Dixon 
6 Danny Collins 
5 Nathan Clarke (C) 
7 James Berrett 
27 Siriki Dembele 
19 Luke Summerfield 
25 Martyn Woolford 
10 Sam Jones 
21 Scott Vernon


30 Ben Killip 
12 Zak Mills 
14 Karleigh Osborne 
20 Diallang Jaiyesimi 
17 Harry Cardwell 
9 JJ Hooper 
29 Jamille Matt

Attendance: 5,137 (211)

Referee: John Busby

Advertisement block

Ticket News

Travelling To Plymouth? Here's All You Need To Know

All you need to know ahead of Saturday's trip to Home Park.

3 November 2017

Plymouth Argyle Vs. Grimsby Town - Saturday 4th November, kick-off 3pm.

Capacity: 16,388 (all seated)
Post Code for SAT NAV: PL2 3DQ
Telephone: 01752 562 561
Ticket Office: 01752 907700
Pitch Size: 112 x 73 yards
Club Nickname: The Pilgrims

Town fans will be housed in the Barn Park End, which is all seated and covered. Around 1,300 seats are available in this area.

The Home Park stadium is based in the Milehouse area of the city, next to Central Park.

With green fields and park lands on three sides of the ground, it really has to rank as one of the best placed grounds in the Football League.

There are good catering facilities available for Town fans within Home Park.

Ticket prices (advance sales).

Adults - £16
Over 65/18-21 - £11
Under 18s - £6
Wheelchair user (Adult) - £14
Wheelchair user (Over 65/18-21) - £9
Wheelchair user (Under 18) - £5

Please note that there will be a price increase of £2 per ticket on match day. Visiting GTFC fans are advised that visiting supporter turnstiles are numbered 22-25.

Tickets are available from the Blundell Park Ticket Office and Online

Where to drink.

Hyde Park Social Club is a 15 minute walk away from Home Park on St Gabriel’s Avenue. This friendly Club which welcomes visiting fans for Saturday matches from 11am and after the game as well, shows Sky and BT Sports.

The Britannia,  which is a sizeable Wetherspoons, is also an option for Town fans,  is around a 10 minute walk away from the ground.  

Otherwise alcohol is available within the ground.

Celebrity Watch

Ballet dancer Wayne Sleep, comedian Dawn French and Newsreader Angela Rippon come from these parts. 

As do Sharon Davies, Tom Daley and footballer Trevor Francis. Sailors Sir Francis Drake and William Bligh also used to hang around the area.

How to get there.

From the North:
Travel on the A38 Devon Expressway until the junction with the A386, signposted Home Park, City Centre, Ferry Port, and Tavistock. At the roundabout as you come off the A38 take the second exit A386, signposted Plymouth Argyle Home Park, Ferry Port. Stay on this road for approximately a mile; the stadium is on your left.

From Cornwall

Head towards Plymouth on the A38 and across the Tamar Bridge at Saltash. Stay on the A38 until the junction mentioned above but take the fifth exit off the roundabout.

By Train

Home Park is also just a short walk from Plymouth Train Station. In fact, those who visit by train are likely to experience the best of Central Park as the well signed route takes you right through the middle of one of Plymouth's best-loved recreation areas.

Car Parking.

There is quite a large car park at the ground, which is free. The car park soon fills up though. Otherwise, there is street parking quite close to the ground - but you are strongly advised not park on the verges, else you will be ticketed. 

Advertisement block

Advertisement block