Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

07 October 2017 Venue Vale Park Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

Port Vale Preview

Andy Phillips previews Saturday's trip to Port Vale.

6 October 2017

Apologies, this video is unvailable.

Town make the trip to Port Vale on Saturday afternoon (3pm) as they look to pick up a valuable three points.

Ticket News

Everything You Need To Know | Port Vale

6 October 2017
Fixture News

Woolmer In Charge At Vale

5 October 2017

Pre Match Press Conference | Port Vale

5 October 2017

The Mariners' goalless draw with Lincoln City at Blundell Park was followed up by defeat to Scunthorpe United in the Checkatrade Trophy in the week, and they will now be looking to get back to winning ways against a struggling Vale side who have just announced Neil Aspin as their new manager.

Summerfield and Clarke doubts  

Luke Summerfield (groin) and Nathan Clarke (thigh) are doubts for the game after missing training this week, which could mean two changes to the side that faced Lincoln City last week. In terms of long term injuries, Akwasi Asante came through an hour for the reserves earlier in the week so is making good progress but the game will come too soon for him.

It remains to be seen whether new boss Aspin will make changes for the game but Vale have a number of players on the sidelines. They could welcome back experienced midfielder Danny Pugh from injury but Winger Cristian Montano, striker Anton Forrester, defender Kjell Knops and goalkeeper Rob Lainton are likely to remain out. 

A tough start for Vale

It has been a difficult start to the season for Port Vale, whose downward spiral has continued after relegation from League One last campaign and they will now be hoping new boss Neil Aspin can turn things around.

Aspin joins the club from Gateshead, where he has been since November 2015 but he is more known for his six year spell in charge of FC Halifax Town, winning three promotions and helping them to the National League play-offs during his time there. He is somewhat of a legend at Vale Park, having made over 350 appearances for the club during a ten year spell and will be looking to use his success as a player to help turn the side's fortunes around. 

He takes over from former Sheffield United midfielder Michael Brown, who left the club after seven games without a victory following a 3-1 victory at Crawley Town on the opening day, and Vale are still looking for their first league victory since then. 

Despite the start, Vale do have plenty of experience in their ranks including defender Anthony Kay, midfielder Michael Tonge and strike pair Tyrone Barnett and Tom Pope, so they certainly have enough to turn things around under the new boss. 

An FA Cup upset last time out

The last meetings between the two sides came in a pair of FA Cup first round ties back in November 2011.

A goalless draw between the two sides at Vale Park in the original tie was followed by a replay at Blundell Park, where a late Serge Makofo winner completed an upset against a side that that were two leagues above the Mariners at the time.

Town and Vale have met 87 times over the years, with Town winning 37 and Vale winning 33, along with 17 draws.   

Managers in summary

Russell Slade: ''He’s an old favourite there (Neil Aspin), he played there for 10 years and Rudgie (John Rudge) as well. He’s a bit of a Port Vale legend so it kind of makes it a little bit more difficult with a more positive crowd and maybe more numbers. Port Vale has always been a difficult place to go. They've got off to a difficult start this season and I’m sure that between them they can turn it round but let’s hope it is after Saturday. When you look at what they’ve got on paper, they are quite threatening. My personal opinion is that they are in a false position and I think at some stage they will get out.”

Neil Aspin: It’s great to have a home game to start with, but it’s all about the result. If we don’t get the right one it would be disappointing, but I’m looking forward to it. The biggest thing is that the supporters get behind the team. It’s not about myself in the dugout or whoever is in the stands, it’s about the players on the pitch. At this moment in time, they need the support of all Port Vale fans and I know how much the club means to the supporters here. If they show that passion, it is then up to the lads to respond.”

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Match Report: Port Vale 1-2 Grimsby Town

Town come from behind to earn all three points

7 October 2017

Leila Coker/PRiME Media Images
Siriki Dembele in action at Port Vale

Siriki Dembele's first-ever professional goal earned Grimsby Town a victory against Port Vale at Vale Park.

The Mariners had to come from behind after striker Tom Pope put the hosts ahead six minutes before half-time.

But Sam Jones restored parity after the break and Dembele completed the turnaround to ensure all three points went back to North East Lincolnshire.

One change was made to the Town side that earned a goalless draw with local rivals Lincoln City last week, with Scott Vernon preferred to Jamille Matt in attack.

James McKeown started in goal, with Ben Davies, Nathan Clarke, Danny Collins and Paul Dixon making up the back four.

Dembele, James Berrett, Luke Summerfield and Martyn Woolford were the midfielders, with Jones joining Vernon up front.

The Grimsby substitutes were Mitch Rose, JJ Hooper, Zak Mills, Karleigh Osborne, Diallang Jaiyesimi, Matt and Ben Killip.

Port Vale were looking for their first win since the opening day of the season and were without a home win in six months, with new manager Neil Aspin aiming for the perfect start in his first game in charge.

Their side included Gavin Gunning, who spent the second half of last season with the Mariners, while striker Tom Pope would hope to get on the scoresheet and further experience came with Michael Tonge and Danny Pugh.

A quiet start to the game produced no chances for either side in the opening 10 minutes, as Town looked for a direct approach to attacks and their hosts failed to cause any significant problems.

McKeown had to come off his line to beat Bournemouth loanee Ben Whitfield to the ball on 12 minutes, before a header back towards his own goal by Summerfield was pushed out for a corner by McKeown, which eventually led to a header by Gunning being saved by the Town keeper.

Whitfield was involved again on 15 minutes after Summerfield gave the ball away but the mistake went unpunished as the shot was saved by McKeown.

A shot by Marcus Harness was blocked as the home side attacked again on 18 minutes, before Tyler Denton was also blocked and Pugh fired wide in what was the game's best chance so far.

McKeown saved from Pope as the home pressure continued, before Town won a corner at the other end when a cross from Vernon was divertd over the bar by Tonge.  Collins' header from Woolford's flag-kick went away from goal and Port Vale cleared.

Dembele tried his luck with a long-range effort on 25 minutes but home keeper Kelle Roos managed to get back and save the swerving shot.

Whitfield dragged a shot wide just before the half-hour, before a foul on Pope by Clarke gave the hosts a free kick, which led to a Gunning header going wide for a goal kick.

Town had a chance when Dixon went for goal from 25 yards but his drive was pushed away by Roos.  The ball came out to Woolford and then Jones but neither could find a way through.

Pugh shot wide from a narrow angle, then the home side made a breakthrough with their next attack.  A cross into the Town box was not dealt with by McKeown and the ball dropped for POPE to turn into the net.

Town's response saw them win a corner but nobody connected with Woolford's ball from the flag and it went out for a throw-in.

One additional minute was signalled to be played at the end of the half and with no further chances created by either side, the Mariners remained a goal down at the interval.

No changes were made before the restart and an early free kick led to Pope turning inside the Town box but the striker was unable to get a shot in.

A shot from Berrett was blocked by Gunning, then Vernon went down under a challenge inside the box but no action was taken as the game continued.

Dembele showed some trickery to cut in from the right and get into the box five minutes into the half but his shot was deflected behind for a corner.

And from the flag, the Mariners had their equaliser, as Woolford's ball was met by JONES, whose flicked header flew into the top corner of the net to make it 1-1.

Vernon sent a header through to keeper Roos after a cross from Dixon, before a home free kick came to nothing as the referee spotted a foul in favour of Town.

Defender James Gibbons gave away a corner just before the hour but Grimsby could not make anything of it, despite Collins' protests that he had been pulled back.

Dembele was denied by Roos after he had got onto the end of a cross with a deft touch at the far post, with Summerfield and Jones unable to capitalise from the rebound.

Substitute David Worrall, on for Whitfield, had a shot saved for the hosts, before a Town corner at the other end was cleared.

Town were getting on top though and after Vernon had a shot saved following a run throough the middle, it was not much longer before they took the lead for the first time in the game.

It was DEMBELE who was on the scoresheet with his first goal for the club, picking the ball up from Jones, then going around Roos and running it into the net.

Anthony de Freitas replaced Harness for Port Vale on 71 minutes, then a cross from Tonge was headed wide by Pope, who unsuccessfully tried to claim a corner.

A cross from Gunning was heaed back across goal by Pope but McKeown claimed the ball as the home side looked for a way back into the game.

Matt and Rose were sent on for the last 10 minutes, with Vernon and Jones making way as Town boss Russell Slade looked for an extra midfielder in a bid to hold onto the 2-1 advantage his side had earned.

A free kick from Woolford soon afterwards was headed on by Clarke for Matt to send a free header wide of the target.

McKeown made a comfortable catch from another Pope header with six minutes to go, then a cross was punched by McKeown and eventually cleared from danger.

Anthony Kay saw a shot blocked by Dixon for a corner as the home side kept pressing for an equaliser, with Mills coming on for Dembele in Grimsby's last substitution with two minutes to go.

A Vale corner was headed over the bar as the game moved into four minutes of added time.

And the home side kept attacking through the additional minutes, with de Freitas having a shot blocked amid a spell of pinball inside the Town box.

But the Mariners were able to see the game out to collect all three points and make it three league games unbeaten since the reverse at Newport.

Town are next in action on Saturday, when they host Crawley Town at Blundell Park.

Port Vale

36 Kelle Roos 
33 Gavin Gunning 
24 Nathan Smith 
6 Antony Kay 
21 James Gibbons 
3 Tyler Denton 
32 Michael Tonge 
8 Danny Pugh 
9 Tom Pope (C) 
7 Marcus Myers-Harness 
31 Ben Whitfield


12 Sam Hornby 
4 Tom Anderson 
5 Joe Davis 
10 David Worrall 
28 Anthony de Freitas 
14 Tyrone Barnett 
19 Dan Turner


1 James McKeown 
2 Ben Davies 
3 Paul Dixon
5 Nathan Clarke (C) 
6 Danny Collins 
19 Luke Summerfield MF
27 Siriki Dembele 89' 
10 Sam Jones 80
25 Martyn Woolford 
7 James Berrett 
21 Scott Vernon 80'


30 Ben Killip 
12 Zak Mills 89' 
14 Karleigh Osborne 
20 Diallang Jaiyesimi 
8 Mitch Rose 80' 
9 JJ Hooper 
29 Jamille Matt 80' 

Attendance: 5,849 with 533 away fans

Referee: Andy Woolmer

Advertisement block

Advertisement block