Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 13:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
18 August 2018 Venue Blundell Park Attendance

Kick off 13:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Match Report: Grimsby Town 1-1 Lincoln City

Mariners forced to settle for draw in Lincolnshire derby

18 August 2018

Lee Blease

Grimsby Town were forced to settle for one point after a superb performance against local rivals Lincoln City which had deserved more.

After Lincoln started well at Blundell Park, the Mariners grew into the game and took a deserved lead through Martyn Woolford on 33 minutes.

The hosts then pushed forward in search of a second goal and created plenty of chances but were thwarted on several occasions.

And the visitors eventually managed to get themselves on level terms when striker John Akinde scored from the penalty spot after being fouled by Danny Collins.

Two changes were made to the Town starting XI after the midweek cup defeat by Rochdale, with Harry Clifton replacing Charles Vernam and Akin Famewo coming in for Paul Dixon.

James McKeown started in goal, with Harry Davis, Alex Whitmore, Collins and Famewo forming the defence.

Clifton, John Welsh and Jake Hessenthaler were the midfield trio, with Woolford and JJ Hooper pushing up on either side in support of striker Jordan Cook.

Striker Wes Thomas was handed a place on the bench after signing a one-year deal with the club yesterday.  He was joined by Dixon, Vernam, Louis Robles, Max Wright, Ahkeem Rose, Wes Thomas and Sam Russell.

Lincoln made the short journey along the A46 looking to continue an excellent start to the season which had seen them win all three games in all competitions so far.

They would look to prrolific former Barnet striker Akinde to get the goals to continue their 100 per cent opening to the campaign.

An early foul on Akinde gave Lincoln a free kick inside the Town half but when the ball was eventually played into the penalty area, McKeown claimed a comfortable catch.

A loose pass in midfield from Welsh gave away possession on six minutes and Bruno Andrade advanced before shooting over the bar from 20 yards.

Town's first shot came from Hooper, who turned and let fly from 25 yards on nine minutes but saw his effort caught by visiting keeper Josh Vickers.

Hessenthaler did well to win the game's first corner two minutes later and a well-worked set piece was eventually played to Clifton inside the box but his effort was blocked.

At the other end, a free kick from the right was dealt with but Andrade almost profited when Famewo gave the ball away, although the Mariners recovered to clear the danger.

The first yellow card of the game was shown to Lincoln's Shay McCartan on 15 minutes for a trip on Clifton as he looked to make progress through the middle.

A powerful effort from Akinde flew well wide of the target, before a cross from Woolford was dealt with at the other end after good work by Cook.

A shot from Woolford was blocked after he had cut inside from the left as the Mariners continued to grow into the game after Lincoln had looked the better of the two sides in the early stages.

Famewo had to concede a corner on the Lincoln right on 29 minutes but Andrade's delivery was caught by McKeown.

A low cross from Cook on the right almost led to an opportunity for the Mariners but Hooper could only deflect the ball out for a goal kick.

But the next time they attacked, the home side took the lead.  The ball was played back to WOOLFORD on the edge of the box and he let fly with a powerful first-time shot which arrowed past Vickers into the bottom-right corner of the net.

Town went in search of a second goal an they had a goo spell of pressure in and around the Lincoln box on 38 minutes, although they were ultimately unable to make it count.

Soon afterwards, Andrade was off-target with a shot, before a long-range effort from Clifton was deflected through to Vickers.

One added minute was played at the end of the half and the Mariners were able to see it out to get to half-time with their lead intact.

No changes were made before the restart and the visitors were the first to threaten, with McCartan running through the middle and hitting a curling effort from 25 yards that was saved by McKeown.

Cook did well to hold the ball up and then win a corner on 50 minutes but as the ball came across from the flag, Collins was penalised for a foul.

Woolford set off on a run down the right on 55 minutes before cutting inside and forcing a save out of keeper Vickers as Town continued to attack in search of a second goal, with the majority of a big Blundell Park crowd behind them.

A weak shot from Harry Toffolo rolled through to McKeown, before Hooper headed over the bar at the far post from a right-wing cross.

Lincoln boss Danny Cowley made the first substitution of the game three minutes before the hour, with Mat Green replacing Harry Anderson.

An excellent build-up by the Mariners almost led to a second goal soon afterwards, with Hessenthaler's low cross eventually being put behind for a corner.

A header from Collins was blocked on the line by Akinde from the corner, before another Grimsby flag-kick was dealt with as Lincoln continued to hang on at just one goal down.

The away side had been under pressure but they were given an opportunity to create some danger of their own with a free kick on the right.  Andrade's ball was headed clear.

A foul by Welsh on McCartan brought another away free kick, this time in the centre circle.  The ball was knocked wide to Neal Eardley but his delivery into the box was caught by McKeown.

Michael O'Connor was replaced by Tom Pett in Lincoln's second change, before a scramble inside the Lincoln box eventually led to a corner on the right.  Again though, the visitors survived as Famewo's far-post effort was headed off the line, before a shot from Hooper went just over the bar.

Eardley fired wide of the near post for the visitors after controlling a long, diagonal ball from Frecklington, before Clifton was booked for a late challenge on Frecklington in the centre circle.

Lincoln had hardly threatened but they were gifted a chance to level the scores when a foul by Collins on Akinde inside the Town box was spotted by the referee, who pointed to the penalty spot.  AKINDE stepped up and beat the dive of McKeown to make it 1-1.

Collins was booked for a foul on McCartan on the halfway line and after the ball was delivered into the box, Whitmore did well to deny Green.

Clifton sent a shot over the bar from 20 yards and it proved to be his last action of note, as he was replaced by Vernam on 76 minutes.

James Wilson replaced McCartan in the away side's final substitution with 10 minutes to go, before Thomas came on fo the hard-working Cook for the Mariners.

Town went close to regaining their advantage when Vernam did well to keep the ball, cut inside an findd Hooper, although the striker's shot curled just past the post for a goal kick.

A cross from Toffolo was chested behind for a corner by Famewo as Lincoln went in search of all three points but the ball from the flag came to nothing.

Four added minutes was signalled to be played and with no further opportunities for either side, both were forced to settle for a draw.

Town's performance had deserved more but after home defeats by Forest Green and Rochdale, the home fans would have left heartened by their side's display this time around.

The Mariners are next in action on Tuesday, when they travel to MK Dons.


1 James McKeown 
24 Harry Davis
12 Akin Famewo 
25 Alex Whitmore 
6 Danny Collins 
7 Jake Hessenthaler 
15 Harry Clifton 
16 Martyn Woolford 
4 John Welsh (C) 
9 JJ Hooper 
11 Jordan Cook


23 Sam Russell 
3 Paul Dixon 
20 Max Wright 
14 Louis Robles 
21 Ahkeem Rose 
39 Wes Thomas 
18 Charles Vernam

Lincoln City

1 Josh Vickers 
23 Neal Eardley 
14 Harry Toffolo 
16 Michael Bostwick 
5 Jason Shackell 
4 Michael O'Connor 
26 Harry Anderson MF
8 Lee Frecklington (C) 
17 Shay McCartan 
11 Bruno Andrade 
29 John Akinde


21 Grant Smith 
6 Scott Wharton 
15 James Wilson 
12 Ellis Chapman 
10 Matt Green 
7 Tom Pett 
9 Matt Rhead

Referee: Carl Boyeson

Attendance: 7,201 (1,809)

Advertisement block

Ticket News

Derby Day Ticket News

Tickets are selling fast for Saturday’s derby game against Lincoln City at Blundell Park (1pm).

17 August 2018

Tickets are selling fast for Saturday’s derby game against Lincoln City at Blundell Park (1pm).

Availability in the Pontoon and Main stands is now limited, with the Young's Upper and Lower SOLD OUT.

We highly advise those wishing to attend, to purchase tickets at their earliest opportunity.

 Ticket Category

Early Bird

 Match Day

Adult (Over 18)



Junior (1-14)

£5 (£7 Unaccompanied)

£5 (£7 Unaccompanied)

Senior Citizen (65+)



Young Adult (15-18)



Student/Unemployed (Pontoon Only)



You can book your tickets Online, by Calling 01472 605050, or from the Blundell Park Ticket Office. 

Advertisement block

Advertisement block