Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 14:00 (UK)

02 December 2018 Venue Proact Stadium Attendance

Kick off 14:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English FA Cup

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Match Report: Chesterfield 0-2 Grimsby Town

Mariners book their place in the third round of the FA Cup

2 December 2018

Paul Burgess
Charles Vernam & Harry Clifton

Grimsby Town eased into the third round of the FA Cup with a comfortable victory over Chesterfield at the Proact Stadium.

The hosts started well and created some good chances but the Mariners took the lead when Charles Vernam struck from a corner.

Although Chesterfield had plenty of possession, they were unable to seriously test goalkeeper James McKeown in the Town goal and the visitors made sure of their progress in the competition when they got a second goal through Harry Clifton.

One change was made to the Town XI after Tuesday's big win over Tranmere Rovers, with Danny Collins returning from suspension as Alex Whitmore dropped to the bench.

James McKeown started in goal, with Luke Hendrie, Harry Davis, Collins and Andrew Fox forming a back four.

Elliot Embleton, Clifton, Jake Hessenthaler and Ben Pringle were the midfielders, with Vernam alongide Wes Thomas in attack.

Brandon Buckley was handed a place on the bench, alongside Whitmore, John Welsh, Mitch Rose, Jordan Cook, Harry Cardwell and Sam Russell.

Chesterfield were hoping the cup would provide a welcome distraction from what had been a disappointing National League campaign so far.

Martin Allen's men sat in the relegation zone after just three league wins this season but draws in each of their last nine also meant they were unbeaten in 12 games in all competitons.

Tom Denton's hat-trick in a replay against Billericay in the last round got the Spireites to this stage of the competition and he would be hoping to make a similar impact this time around.

The hosts had the first chance of the game when a free kick was sent into the Town box by Jerome Binnom-Williams but it was headed wide by Jonathan Smith.

Smith let fly with a shot from 25 yards on sven minutes but it proved comfortable for McKeown, who got down to make the stop.

Town's fist attack of note saw Thomas take the ball to the edge of the box before passing to Prringle on the left, although his cross was caught by home keeper Callum Burton.

The Mariners were given a scare on 13 minutes when they somehow managed to scramble the ball clear for a corner after it had run across the six-yard line but nobody in blue could force it into the net after a shot was spilled by McKeown.

Pringle won a Town corner on the left on 18 minutes after good play by Embleton and Clifton but the ball from the flag was cleared.

Another corner came soon afterwards, this time on the right, but Pringle's ball was prodded wide by Collins.

Davis conceded a corner at the other end but it came to nothing as the ball was headed out for a goal kick at the far post.

Another home corner was punched to the edge of the box by McKeown before being fired wide by Andrew Kiwomya.

A shot from Vernam was deflected wide for a corner on 36 minutes and this time, it did have an end product as the Marineers took the lead.  Pringle's delivery was headed towards goal by Thomas and VERNAM was in the right place to find the net from close range at the far post.

One added minute was signalled as Embleton made a run through the middle before hitting a shot which was deflected through to Burton in the Chesterfield goal.

And that proved to be the last chance of a half where the hosts had shown plenty of energy but Town had grown into the game and grabbed the advantage which they held at the interval.

No changes were made before the restart and an early foul by Collins gave the hosts a chance to get the ball into the danger zone, although Binnom-Williams' free kick was cleared.

A corner soon afterwards also came to nothing, before a foul on Smith brought another free kick in a dangerous position. 

Town's first chance of the second half was created by Vernam, who ran down the left and pulled the ball back but Thomas sent his first-time shot wide of the near post.

Hanani Amantchi replaced Denton and Zavon Hines came on for Jordan Hallam as the home side made a double substitution on 56 minutes.

Town won a corner on the right on 63 minutes and Pringle's ball from the flag was initially cleared, before he swung another cross in that flew out for a goal kick.

At the other end, a low shot was driven towards goal by Curtis Weston but it was straight at McKeown.

Weston tried his luck again soon afterwards from the edge of the box but his effort was deflected just wide for a corner.

Vernam sent a low shot wide, before Hessenthaler fired over the bar from 20 yards as the Mariners stepped up a gear.

And they were rewarded with a second goal on 70 minutes, as CLIFTON ran clear ino the box.  His shot was blocked by Burton but he converted at the second attempt in front of the travelling supporters.

Rose replaced Vernam, before Thomas took advantage of a Chesterfield mistake to take the ball forward and shoot, although he could not hit the target.

The home side's last change saw Joe Rowley replace Lee Shaw, before Kiwomya won a corner on the left which did not cause any problems.

Thomas made way for Cardwell with 11 minutes to go as Town made their second substitution.

The Mariners were now in complete control and looking for a third goal and they had a chance to get it when Cardwell connected with a cross from the right, although he could not steer his header beyond Burton.

Cook came on in place of Pringle for the last five minutes of the game and the away side continued to create chances, with Embleton cutting in from the right to work the space for a shot before sending the ball over the bar.

Four added minutes were played at the end of the game before Town's progress to the third round for the first time in five years was confirmed.

They will now look forward to the draw at 7.30pm on Monday, where they will be ball number 52.

Thoughts will then turrn back to the league and the trip to Cheltenham Town on Saturday.


31 Callum Burton 
2 Bradley Barry 
3 Jerome Binnom-Williams 
5 Will Evans 
19 Haydn Hollis 
23 Jonathan Smith (C) 
9 Lee Shaw 
8 Curtis Weston 
37 Jordan Hallam 
36 Alex Kiwomya 
30 Tom Denton


21 Joe Anyon 
12 Michael Nelson 
22 Sam Muggleton 
16 Joe Rowley 
29 Levi Amantchi 
32 Marc-Antoine FortunĂ© 
11 Zavon Hines


1 James McKeown 
27 Luke Hendrie
19 Andrew Fox
24 Harry Davis 
6 Danny Collins (C) 
7 Jake Hessenthaler
18 Charles Vernam 
15 Harry Clifton 
22 Elliot Embleton 
30 Ben Pringle 
39 Wes Thomas


23 Sam Russell 
25 Alex Whitmore 
26 Brandon Buckley 
11 Jordan Cook 
8 Mitch Rose 
4 John Welsh 
17 Harry Cardwell

Attendance: 4537 (1684)

Referee: Michael Salisbury

Advertisement block

Ticket News

đź“ťTravelling To Chesterfield? Here's Our Essential Guide

Read this before you travel.

30 November 2018

Chesterfield Vs. Grimsby Town - Sunday 2nd December, kick-off 2pm.

Ticket News

Chesterfield Ticket Information - FA Cup Second Round

29 November 2018

This game is ALL-TICKET and no tickets will be sold on the day. We are expecting to sell out of our ticket allocation and the Mariners will be backed by an army of around 1700 at the Proact.

Town fans will be housed in the North Stand which is at one end of the stadium, Capacity: 10,400 (all seated)

Address: Sheffield Road, Chesterfield, S41 8NZ
Telephone: 01246 269300
Fax: 01246 556 799
Pitch Size: 111 x 71 yards
Pitch Type: Grass
Club Nickname: Spireites
Year Ground Opened: 2010
Undersoil Heating: No

The Proact Stadium is a 10,000 all seater stadium which opened July 2010. It is situated on the outskirts of the town at Whittington Moor.

The postcode is S41 (8NZ for older satellite navigation systems, please use S41 8LF).

Car Parking:

Parking is very limited in the surrounding streets. However, if you arrive early enough it is available. There are also a few pay and display car parks in the local area for a reasonable charge.

Car parking at the stadium is for permit holders only.

Don't think about parking in the nearby Tesco store, as the car park is patrolled on matchdays and you may end up having your car towed away.
How to get there.

By Car

Leave the M1 at Junction 29 and take the A617 towards Chesterfield. At the end of the dual carriageway at the edge of the town centre, turn right onto the A61 towards Sheffield.

At the first roundabout turn left and the stadium is down on the right. For the main entrance turn right into Sheffield Road and then right again into the club car park.

By Train

Chesterfield Railway Station is walk-able from the Proact Stadium, although it will take you between 20 and 30 minutes to walk to do so.

Where to drink.

Alcohol is served within the concourses at the Proact Stadium.

A five minute walk from the stadium is a micropub called the Beer Parlour.

Celebrity Watch.

James Hill (TV personality), entrepreneur and winner of Celebrity Big Brother 2015, Sir John Hurt, actor and Ian Hyland, Daily Mirror television critic - all originate from these parts.

Town Kit

Shirts: Black & White
Shorts: Black
Socks: Red

Advertisement block

Advertisement block