Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

09 February 2019 Venue Huish Park Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

🎞️ Freeview | Michael Jolley Pre-Yeovil Town Press Conference

Michael Jolley hopes Grimsby Town can deliver “a level of consistency” in final third of Sky Bet League Two season

7 February 2019

Apologies, this video is unvailable.

Grimsby Town boss Michael Jolley hopes the Mariners can achieve a better level of consistency in their final 15 Sky Bet League Two fixtures.

The Mariners travel to Huish Park to face Darren Way’s Yeovil Town this Saturday (3pm), with the aim of making it three league wins on the bounce – after home wins over Newport County and MK Dons at Blundell Park.

And Town boss Jolley hopes his side can become more consistent ahead of the final run-in, starting with this weekend’s clash with the Glovers.

Speaking on iFollow Mariners, he said: “Hopefully people can see the kind of football that we want to play – we’ve not always been able to deliver that for various reasons.

“But, in the last third of the season, we must deliver a level of consistency in terms of our performance, and hopefully that will be reflected in our results.

“We’re not paying attention to the table – we’re just concentrating on playing Yeovil because that’s all we can really affect.

“So we’ll look at Yeovil’s strengths and weaknesses and try pick the team that gives us the best chance of getting a good result down there.

“They’re a tough team – they beat us at Blundell Park earlier in the season, and they’ve had some really excellent results during the course of the season. They beat Mansfield away – one of the very few teams to do that.

“They’ve had a very good transfer window – they’ve brought in four or five new players in who will bring a lot of energy to the squad, and give them different options, so we’re expecting a really tough match.

“Every game you’ve got to be wary. We knew before we played Macclesfield that it would be a tough game, and so it proved.

“Every match in this division is difficult for different reasons, and Yeovil at home are a tough opposition, and we need to perform at a good level to give ourselves a chance of getting a win.”

And Jolley hopes the Mariners can draw inspiration from their 2-1 away win over Exeter City at St James Park in December.

He said: “We will train on our way down on Friday, and we will get there in good time hopefully – it’s a long, old way.

“But we’ve had some long trips already this season, and managed to bring points back – Exeter City comes to mind, so hopefully we can do the same again.

“Not all of the players live in Grimsby so it can be helpful to them if we meet in the middle of the country sometimes, and it shortens the journey a little bit for some of the players, so let’s see how we can do on Saturday.”

Elliott Whitehouse is the Mariners’ only injured player ahead of the game, as the midfielder continues his ACL injury rehabilitation.

Watch the full press conference for free on iFollow Mariners.                     

Advertisement block

Match Reports

📝Match Report: Yeovil Town 1-3 Grimsby Town

Mariners earn third straight victory as they comfortably beat Yeovil

9 February 2019

Grimsby Town made it three wins in a row as they secured a comfortable victory over Yeovil Town at Huish Park.

The Mariners produced another fine performance, taking an early lead through Wes Thomas and doubling it before half-time when Adel Gafaiti scored an own-goal.

Yeovil were reduced to 10 men when Craig Alcock was dismissed for a second bookable offence and after creating several chances for a third goal, Town got it through substitute Kristian Dennis.

The hosts pulled one back when Alex Fisher headed in a late consolation but it was Town's day as they celebrated another three points.

One change was made to the Town starting XI as James McKeown returned from suspension to take up his usual place in goal.

Luke Hendrie, Reece Hall-Johnson, Ludvig Ohman, Danny Collins and Sebastian Ring formed a five-man defence, with Elliot Embleton, Jake Hessenthaler and Martyn Woolford continuing as the midfield trio.

Thomas and Jordan Cook again formed the strike partnership, meaning Dennis again had to be content with a place on the bench.

Goalkeeper Sam Russell also began among the substitutes after starting between the sticks during McKeown's ban, with John Welsh, Charles Vernam, Harry Clifton, Alex Whitmore and Harry Davis also on the bench.

Yeovil began the afternoon just three points and two places above the relegation zone and aiming for a win which could take them further clear of danger.

After a promising start by the Mariners, Yeovil's Alcock became the first of the afternoon to be shown a yellow card for a foul on Ring on four minutes.

The game's first corner came four minutes later but Ring's delivery was caught by home keeper Stuart Nelson and a quick counter-attack was launched, with Hall-Johnson doing well to stop it.

Soon afterwards, the Mariners took the lead when a looping cross from Hendrie found THOMAS, who got in between two defenders and headed past Nelson for his 10th goal of the season.

Yeovil's response saw a cross from Fisher find Tristan Abrahams but Woolford did well to get a touch to the ball and send it out for a corner, which caused no problems.

Town almost had a chance when Cook headed the ball on for Thomas but the home defence got back to stop the striker from going through on goal.

A Yeovil free kick on 22 minutes was punched clear by McKeown after it had been delivered into the penalty area by Jake Gray, before a shot from Thomas went over the bar at the other end.

A cross from Cook after a swift break led to the ball breaking for Woolford to send a half-volley off-target as Town continued to look dangerous in attack.

The game stopped for Ohman to receive treatment after a clash of heads with Fisher, before a volley from Gray went wide after Fisher chested the ball down for him.

The Mariners doubled their advantage on 33 minutes when a good move saw them keep possession before Embleton drove into the box and sent over a powerful cross which went into the net off defender Gafaiti for an own-goal.

Town were now in control and a corner from Ring could have led to further damage when the ball was not held by Nelson, although he managed to gather it at the second attempt.

The hosts made a substitution on 39 minutes, with Alex Pattison replacing Matt Worthington in midfield.

McKeown was forced into action two minutes later, saving with his feet for a corner after Fisher's strike followed a low cross from Abrahams.  The referee spotted a foul as the flag-kick was sent across and blew for a Town free kick.

Three added minutes were played and in the second of them, the Mariners could have put the result beyond doubt when they broke through Thomas but after running clear from the halfway line into the box, he could only fire over the bar.

It had been an excellent first half for the visitors though and they took a commanding two-goal lead into the dressing room at half-time.

No further changes were made before the restart and Rhys Browne won an early corner for the hosts, although Gray's ball from the flag failed to clear the first Town defender.

McKeown made a good block from Browne on 48 minutes after a break by Abrahams but again, Yeovil were unable to create any danger from the resulting corner.

At the other end, a low cross from Hall-Johnson after a run down the right saw the ball go all the way through to Ring.  He put it back into the box for Thomas but the home side managed to get it away for a corner.

Defender Carl Dickison tried his luck with a shot soon afterwards but McKeown was not called into action as the ball went wide.

Abrahams was replaced by Francois Zoko on 55 minutes in Yeovil's second substitution, before a corner from Pattison was cleared after it had been headed on by Gafaiti.  Yeovil regained possession though and Dobre got into the box and won another corner.

Yeovil were beginning to look more dangerous and were creating more chances but the Mariners were still in control at 2-0 up.

Another corner came after Dobre had forced a good save from McKeown, before a home penalty appeal was waved away when Browne went down inside the box, as the referee instead gave a goal kick.

Yeovil were then reduced to 10 men on 64 minutes after another home corner was cleared and Cook was fouled by Alcock, who was shown a second yellow card, followed by a red one.

Town then looked to make their man advantage count  by keeping possession and pressing forward in search of a third goal.

Hessenthaler was booked  for a foul on Gray on 74 minutes, before Thomas was replaced by Clifton and Dennis replaced Cook as the Mariners made a double substitution.

Hendrie was the next to be shown a yellow card for a foul on Zoko, then the final home change saw Courtney Duffus come on for Dobre.

Home keeper Nelson made a good save from Hendrie after good play by Embleton and Hessenthaler created a chance for the right-back.

Another good move on 81 minutes saw Town slice through the Yeovil midfield but they were unable to find a finish, as Dennis couldn't get enough on the ball to turn it towards goal after Hendrie's ball across the six-yard line.

Embleton was the next to go close, just missing the target after creating an opening and hitting a low shot from the edge of the box.

Davis was sent on in place of Ring in the final change with six minutes to go.

And three minutes later, the Mariners put extra gloss on the scoreline with a third goal.  The ball was played through to DENNIS and he produced a composed finish to lift it over Nelson and register his first goal for the club since joining on loan from Notts County.

Town were on their way to three points but were unable to keep a clean sheet as Yeovil pulled a goal back in the last minute of the 90, with FISHER heading past McKeown from a Pattison free kick.

But that proved to be the only blot on an excellent display by the Mariners, who were left to celebrate a great win.

Goals on Sunday

Don't forget to watch the Extended Highlights on Sunday. 

Town are next in action on Saturday, when we welcome Cheltenham Town to Blundell Park.

Yeovil Town

1 Stuart Nelson 
24 Craig Alcock 
3 Carl Dickinson 
4 Gary Warren (C) 
2 Adel Gafaiti 
8 Matt Worthington 
7 Rhys Browne 
10 Jake Gray 
9 Alex Fisher 
16 Tristan Abrahams 
25 Mihai-Alexandru Dobre


12 Nathan Baxter 
5 Bevis Mugabi 
17 Alex Pattison 
15 Gabriel Rogers 
18 Yoann Arquin 
11 Courtney Duffus 
13 Francois Zoko

Grimsby Town

1 James McKeown 
6 Danny Collins (C) 
5 Ludvig Öhman 
2 Reece Hall-Johnson 
27 Luke Hendrie 
3 Sebastian Ring 
22 Elliot Embleton 
7 Jake Hessenthaler 
16 Martyn Woolford 
39 Wes Thomas 
11 Jordan Cook


23 Sam Russell 
24 Harry Davis 
25 Alex Whitmore 
15 Harry Clifton 
4 John Welsh 
8 Kristian Dennis 
18 Charles Vernam

Referee: Charles Breakspear

Attendance: 2,692  

Next Up: Cheltenham Town (H) 

Advertisement block

Advertisement block