Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 13:00 (UK)

28 July 2018 Venue The Martin & Co Arena Attendance

Kick off 13:00 (UK)

Gainsborough Trinity
0 - 0
Grimsby Town
Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Gainsborough Trinity 0-4 Grimsby Town

Town complete pre-season programme with comfortable win

28 July 2018

Grimsby Town concluded their pre-season fixture programme with a comfortable victory against Gainsborough Trinity.

JJ Hooper opened the scoring from close range after a Martyn Woolford free kick had come back off the bar, before Harry Clifton made it 2-0 before the break.

Substitute Jake Hessenthaler stretched the advantage to three goals, then fellow sub Louis Robles added a fourth.

Town started with James McKeown in goal, behind a back three of Harry Davis, Alex Whitmore and Danny Collins.

Clifton started at right wing-back, with Andrew Fox on the left and Mitch Rose, John Welsh and Woolford forming a central midfield trio as Hooper and Charles Vernam began in attack.

Gainsborough included former Town youngster Cameron Hough from the start, although ex-Mariners favourite Ross Hannah had to be content with a place among the substitutes.

The first chance of the game came on four minutes after a good ball found Hooper on the right.  He cut inside and squared for Woolford but the midfielder's effort lacked the power needed to beat home keeper Jon Stewart.

Vernam had a good opportunity three minutes later after taking advantage of a mistake in the Gainsborough defence to go clear but Stewart came off his line to block the striker's shot.

Another Vernam strike went wide of the near post soon afterwards, before a long throw from Rose was caught by the keeper after it had been flicked on by Whitmore.

Gainsborough's first attack of note saw Rod Orlando Young presented with a shooting opportunity but he could not make it count, before Damian Reeves' effort from the edge of the box also proved comfortable for McKeown.

Town won a corner on 24 minutes but failed to create any danger from it, then a corner at the other end produced a similar outcome as the ball from the flag was dealt with.

Hooper went close soon afterwars after turning inside the penalty area but his shot flew off-target.

Town were doing most of the attacking and they took the lead on 27 minutes, after Vernam was brought down 25 yards out to stop a run through the middle.  From the resulting free kick, Woolford's shot crashed off the bar and HOOPER was in the right place to tap the rebound into the net.

A foul on Hooper gave Grimsby another free kick on the right on 34 minutes but Fox's delivery was headed wide.

But it wasn't long before the visitors doubled their advantage, as Vernam found CLIFTON inside the box and his shot had enough on it to beat Stewart and roll into the net.

Gainsborough looked for a reply and Hough called McKeown into action with a shot from 25 yards that was pushed away by the keeper, before a free kick from the right was headed out for a corner, which McKeown caught.

Fox won a corner a minute before the break and the ball from the flag eventually broke for Woolford, whose shot was straight at Stewart.

No additional time was played at the end of the half, so the Mariners took a two-goal lead into the dressing rooms at the interval.

No Town substitutions were made before the restart and after early pressure, the first shot of the second half saw Clifton fire over the bar from distance, before an effort from Woolford was saved after good work by Vernam.

Young won a corner for Gainsborough on 52 minutes and then volleyed just off-target after the ball from the flag broke to him.

Alex Byrne hit a low shot for the hosts that was comfortably stopped by McKeown, before the hour mark saw Welsh, Fox, Clifton and Collins replaced by Reece Hall-Johnson, Paul Dixon, Akin Famewo and Hessenthaler. 

Hannah was one of two Gainsorough substitutes to come on at the same time.

Woolford fired a free kick over the bar, before Town made it 3-0 on 68 minutes when HESSENTHALER'S shot from inside the box was deflected past Stewart.

At the other end, a low shot by Ashley Worsfold was blocked by McKeown, before three more Gainsborough changes were made.

Vernam forced Stewart into a good save after being found on the edge of the box by Hooper, before the striker had another chance but sent a right-footed shot wide.

It proved to be Vernam's last contribution as he was replaced by Robles for the last 12 minutes of the game.

A fourth Town goal came on 83 minutes, with ROBLES finding the net from close range after a scramble.

Ahkeem Rose replaced Hooper for the closing stages of the game, before Max Wright came on in place of Mitch Rose with a minute left on the clock.

No further chances were created by either side before the full-time whistle, meaning the game finished in a 4-0 win for the Mariners.

And with the friendly programme now complete, thoughts can now turn to the League Two season opener against Forest Green Rovers at Blundell Park next Saturday.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block