Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

02 October 2018 Venue Brunton Park Attendance

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

▶️Freeview | Michael Jolley's Pre Match Press Conference

Listen to what the Town boss had to say ahead of Tuesday's trip to Carlisle United.

2 October 2018

Apologies, this video is unvailable.

Referee Watch | Coy In Charge At Brunton Park

1 October 2018
Club News

Watch Tuesday's Game Live

2 October 2018
Club News

The Opposition - Carlisle United

1 October 2018

Listen to what Town boss Michael Jolley had to say ahead of Tuesday’s trip to Carlisle.

The Town boss confirmed that he is not optimistic about Harry Davis’ injury and is awaiting the results of a scan.

Speaking on iFollow, he said: “We think it is potentially quite a serious one. Fingers crossed that it’s not too bad, but we will have to wait and see.

“He is going for a scan and we are awaiting the outcome of that. But we are not very optimistic about it unfortunately.”

The gaffer also confirmed that Jordan Cook has got a slight problem and he is awaiting a full assessment to see how serious that might be.

Akin (Famewo) has suffered from concussion and the club have to follow the protocol with that. 

Speaking about the recent poor run of form, he said: “Firstly, on behalf of the players and the staff here, I have to face up to the brutal facts. In the past month we haven’t done well enough.

“Our performances, our form and our confidence have all been at a low level. We have to face that, understand why it’s the case and then try to address it.

“The second part of my job is to not catastrophise the situation.

“We have had ten games of a 46-game season. We are in a less severe situation than we were at the back end of last season, when we could have been relegated to the National League.

“In some of these games we have been close to taking points.”

He continued:“On Saturday, when Wes Thomas hit the crossbar, if that goes in we go 2-0 up with 30 minutes to go - then I think the outcome could have been different.

“And there have been other games where the small differences have gone against us.

“Thirdly, we have to see if the situation is capable of improving.”

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Match Report: Carlisle Utd 0-1 Grimsby Town

Town earn vital victory to end six-game losing streak

2 October 2018

Grimsby Town ended their six-game losing streak as they beat Carlisle United at Brunton Park.

Luke Hendrie's first-half goal proved enough for the Mariners to take all three points and claim their second victory of the season.

After the goal, it was a gutsy rearguard action by the visitors in the face of home pressure but they held firm for a much-needed win.

Five changes were made to the Town starting XI after Saturday's loss to Morecambe, with Reece Hall-Johnson, Harry Clifton, Mitch Rose, Charles Vernam and JJ Hooper all coming in as Harry Davis, Jake Hessenthaler, Martyn Woolford, John Welsh and Jordan Cook dropped out.

James McKeown started in goal, with Hall-Johnson, Alex Whitmore, Danny Collins and Hendrie forming the defence.

Clifton, Rose and Elliot Embleton were the midfield trio, with Hooper and Vernam either side of Thomas in attack.

Hessenthaler and Woolford were both named on the bench, along with Sam Russell, Louis Robles, Paul Dixon, Harry Cardwell and Ben Pringle.

Carlisle included former Grimsby loanee Jamie Devitt in their line-up, with Hallam Hope also among those looking to cause problems for the Mariners.

Town started well, creating early chances including one for Hendrie, who drove into the penalty area from the left but fired over the bar.

The visitors went close on eight minutes when Hooper was denied by keeper Adam Collin after the ball had been threaded through to him by Embleton, with the Sunderland loanee just unable to get to the rebound.

And another opportunity was to come two minutes later, this time for Vernam after he intercepted a back-pass and advanced, only for his shot to be saved by Collin.

Good hold-up play by Thomas on 15 minutes led to a corner, which produced another in quick succession.  This time, the kick was taken short and Clifton's ball to Thomas led to the striker turning and shooting narrowly wide.

Whitmore escaped a booking for a foul on Devitt on 28 minutes and from the resulting free kick, Macaulay Gillesphey's shot took a deflection but McKeown managed to get to it and push the ball away.

A let-off for the Mariners came soon afterwards, with Hallam Hope crossing from the left but Jack Sowerby was unable to connect with a header.

Town then created another good chance on the half-hour, with Embleton crossing from the left for Hooper, who could only head wide from six yards.

Devitt had tried to run off the knock he picked up in the challenge with Whitmore but eventually had to be replaced by Adam Campbell with 33 minutes on the clock.

Whn the first goal came on 38 minutes, it was the Mariners who took a deserved lead.  Vernam's shot was saved by Collin but HENDRIE was there to capitalise from the rebound and put the ball into the net.

Carlisle's response saw them win a free kick on the edge of the box after a handball by Hall-Johnson, who was booked.  Tom Parkes had a shot blocked after the ball was played in low and Town eventually cleared the danger.

Another home free kick brought another opportunity to put pressure on the Town goal but it was not taken as nobody could get on the end of Sowerby's cross.

Three added minutes were played at the end of the half, with Sowerby missed the target with a header after he had been found by Campbell following an uncertain clearance by Collins.

That proved to be the last chance for either side before half-time, with Town holding onto their advantage at the interval.

No changes were made before the restart and Hendrie was booked for a late challenge three minutes in, before a flurry of corners were dealt with by the Mariners.

Hooper almost had a chance after he had been found inside the box by Vernam but good defending meant he was unable to get a shot away.

At the other end, an effort from Kelvin Etuhu was pushed away by McKeown, before Hope slipped as he looked to make progress into the penalty area.

Hooper did well to beat his man and make his way into the box on 59 minutes but keeper Collin got to his cross ahead of Embleton to ensure the only damage was a corner.

A left-footed shot just after the hour by Sowerby was comfortable for McKeown, before a free kick from Embleton at the other end was held by Collin.

Ashley Nadesan and Hope both had attempts blocked in quick succession as Carlisle kept looking for an equaliser, then a cross from Etuhu drifted out for a goal kick.

A short stoppage came for Hall-Johnson to receive treatment after he went down with an injury, before being passed fit to play on.

Another Carlisle corner was cleared, before a good block from a shot by Hope brought another flag-kick.  This time, Gillesphey's glancing header hit the post and the ball bounced around the Town box until the referee's whistle for a free kick came to their rescue.

The home side made a double substitution with 12 minutes to go, sending Mike Jones and Liam McCarron on in place of Regan Slater and Sowerby.

Town then made their first change, with Woolford coming on in place of Embleton.

A foul on Clifton gave the Mariners a free kick around 35 yards out and in a central position on 82 minutes but Woolford's effort rolled out for a goal kick.

Rose gave away a free kick for a foul on Jones but McCarron's shot was blocked after the ball had been played into the box.

More good defending by Town gave Carlisle another corner but again, they were unable to create any danger from it.

Hope had a good chance with two minutes to go after the ball had been played to him by Gary Liddle but he was unable to test McKeown as the ball went over the bar and again, the Mariners survived with their lead intact.

Four added minutes would be played at the end of the game, with the home side still attacking in search of a leveller.

Two Carlisle penalty shouts were waved away by the referee, before Cardwell replaced Vernam before another home corner was cleared by Collins.

And there was still time for yet another home corner, which was punched clear by McKeown before the ball was put behind again.  The ball was headed out to the edge of the box, where Campbell shot towards goal but the ball was gathered by McKeown.

That proved to be their last chance of the game and Town were finally able to celebrate a much-needed three points.

The Mariners are next in action on Saturday, when Port Vale visit Blundell Park.

Carlisle Utd

30 Adam Collin 
4 Gary Liddle (C) 
12 Macaulay Gillesphey 
5 Anthony Gerrard 
6 Tom Parkes 
10 Jamie Devitt 
15 Regan Slater 
21 Kelvin Etuhu 
23 Ashley Nadesan 
18 Jack Sowerby 
9 Hallam Hope


2 Gary Miller 
24 Sam Adewusi 
16 Adam Campbell 
26 Jack Egan 
11 George Glendon 
8 Michael Jones 
27 Liam McCarron


1 James McKeown 
2 Reece Hall-Johnson 
27 Luke Hendrie 
25 Alex Whitmore 
6 Danny Collins (C) 
8 Mitch Rose 
22 Elliot Embleton 
15 Harry Clifton 
18 Charles Vernam 
9 JJ Hooper 
39 Wes Thomas


23 Sam Russell 
3 Paul Dixon 
7 Jake Hessenthaler 
30 Ben Pringle 
16 Martyn Woolford 
17 Harry Cardwell 
14 Louis Robles

Attendance: 3,316 (143)

Referee: Martin Coy

Next Up: Port Vale (H)

Advertisement block

Ticket News

Travelling To Carlisle - All You Need To Know

Your essential guide ahead of Tuesday's game.

30 September 2018

Club News

Watch Tuesday's Game Live

2 October 2018

Capacity: 17,949
Address: Warwick Road, Carlisle, CA1 1LL
Telephone: 01228 526 237
Ticket Office: 0844 371 1921
Pitch Size: 112 x 74 yards
Year Ground Opened: 1909

Town fans will be housed on one side of the Pioneer (East) Stand (towards the Petterill End) where around 2,000 fans can be accommodated. This all seated, covered stand is located at one side of the pitch.

Where to drink.

The Carlisle Rugby Club next to Brunton Park on the Warwick Road, has a club bar which allows in away supporters.

The Lakeland Gate is also an option for away fans and is described as a family friendly pub. It is part of the Brewers Fayre chain.


We have received an initial 100 tickets in the Pioneer Foods Stand..

Tickets are priced as follows:

Adults - £19
Senior (65+) - £16
Young Person (18-22) - £13
Junior (11-17) - £10
Child (10 and under) - £7
Child (6 and under) - FOC

1 Adult + 1 Junior - £27
1 Adult + 2 Junior - £35
1 Senior + 1 Junior - £24
Wheelchair User - £4

Ticktes can be purchased by visiting the Blundell Park ticket office, calling 01472 605050 or visiting our online ticket office..

Tickets can also be purchased on the day but are all subject to a £3 increase except junior and children rates.

How to get there

By Car

Leave the M6 at junction 43 and take the A69 towards Carlisle. After a mile, you will reach Brunton Park on your right. The club car park which costs £3, can be found by turning right immediately before Brunton Park. Otherwise street parking.

Post Code for SAT NAV: CA1 1LL

By Train

Brunton Park is 1.2 miles from Carlisle Railway Station. Head out of the train station, cross the road, and locate Nando's Restaurant on the crescent shaped road adjacent to the first set of traffic lights. Walk straight down Warwick Road for about 1 mile and you will reach Brunton Park on the left hand side.

A taxi rank is located just outside the Railway Station.

Celebrity Watch

A whole host of celebrities hail from Carlisle and its surrounding area, including poet William Wordsworth, DJ John Peel (RIP), TV/Radio presenter Melvin Bragg, Eddie Stobart, funny man Bob Mortimore and one member of boy band 911.

The Cumbrians most famous fan is 80’s singer Belinda Carlisle who changed her name from Kurczeski in honour of the club when they briefly topped the old first division table early in the 1974/75 season after beating Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

Helen Skelton, Blue Peter presenter, BT Sports and Countryfile presenter hails from these parts, as does former England international Kevin Beattie.

Town's Kit

Shirts: Black & White

Shorts: Black

Socks: Red

Advertisement block

Advertisement block