Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 13:00 (UK)

07 March 2020 Venue Sands Venue Stadium Attendance

Kick off 13:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

▶️iFollow: Watch All Of Today's Pre Scunny Press Conference

20 minutes from Ian Holloway ahead of the trip to The Sands Venue Stadium on Saturday.

5 March 2020

Apologies, this video is unvailable.

Listen to all of today's pre-match press conference - 20 minutes of wisdom from Town boss Ian Holloway. 

Injury News.

Ollie has confirmed that James Hanson's scan has come back and it is inconclusive.

“They said he’s got a grade two tear, but it’s on an old site, which is obviously an old injury," he said.

!Sometimes that can be scar tissue though.

“He’s weirdly feeling totally fit. I’ve had something like that years ago, one of my players said he had a grade two tear on top of an old site, and it was just a bit of scar tissue tearing away.”

As you may spot on our video, Jake Hessenthaler has returned to training with the first team, but he won’t be ready for Saturday’s derby game at Scunthorpe United.

It’s not such good news for Jordan Cook though, with Ollie adding that he ‘keeps breaking down’ in his recovery from injury.

And Bradley Garmston, who was substituted during the first half at Plymouth on Tuesday night, is set to miss out on Saturday with a hamstring problem.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Match Report: Scunthorpe United 0-2 Grimsby Town

Second-half goals seal derby victory for Mariners

7 March 2020

Lee Blease/ Prime Media Images

Grimsby Town claimed a derby day win as they beat Scunthorpe United at the Sands Venue Stadium.

After a first-half low on quality, the Mariners struck first when Charles Vernam put them ahead with a header eight minutes after the break.

And the points were sealed when Luke Waterfall headed home from a corner, to the delight of the 2,000-plus travelling supporters.

From then, Scunthorpe rarely threatened and after substitute Levi Sutton was sent off having played just four minutes, Town closed out a deserved victory over their local rivals.

Ian Holloway made four changes to the Grimsby team that started the midweek defeat at Plymouth, with Anthony Glennon, Elliott Hewitt, Elliot Grandin and Max Wright all coming back in.

James McKeown started in goal, with Luke Hendrie, Harry Davis, Waterfall and Glennon forming the defence.

Hewitt and Grandin were joined in midfield by Elliott Whitehouse, while Wright, Billy Clarke and Vernam were all named in attack.

The Grimsby substitutes were Sam Russell, Ben Davies, Mattie Pollock, James Tilley, Harry Clifton, Josh Benson and Matt Green.

Scunthorpe came into the game four points and four places below the Mariners in the League Two table but looking to complete a double after winning the reverse fixture at Blundell Park in December.

Striker Kevin van Veen's goal proved to be the difference that day and the Dutchman would be among the dangermen again this time around.

Town won the first corner of the game in the opening minute but it did not lead to a goalscoring opportunity as Scunthorpe eventually cleared the ball.

A foul on Hewitt inside the home half gave Town another opportunity to create danger on six minutes but Clarke's ball into the box was headed wide by Davis.

Scunthorpe's first attack of note came on nine minutes and saw van Veen attack through the middle before playing the ball to George Miller on the left. His cross went out of play for a goal kick.

Vernam saw a shot blocked after being found by Wright, before a free-kick came when Wright was fouled. Clarke's ball was not fully dealt with by the home defence and Town worked it back for Clarke but his shot was held by keeper Rory Watson.

The Mariners were on top in the early stages and they won another corner on the left on 19 minutes. The ball from it was played to Grandin but his header was cleared and the hosts broke through Miller but he was fouled on the halfway line by Glennon, who was booked.

Waterfall followed him into the referee's notebook when he fouled John McAtee to give Scunthorpe a free kick 25 yards out, which was struck wide by van Veen.

The hosts won their first corner on 25 minutes and from it, McKeown had to come off his line to make a good block after the ball broke for Miller at the far post.

A corner came at the other end six minutes later but Clarke's ball was headed clear.

The first half had been a scrappy affair overall, with few real chances and a lack of quality from both sides.

Three added minutes were played at the end of it and a final opportunity before the break came with a home corner on the right but as Whitehouse hammered the ball clear, the referee's whistle blew and the game remained goalless at the interval.

Pollock replaced Davis as Town made their first substitution before the restart but after a bright start by the visitors, Scunthorpe had the first shooting chance of the second half, which van Veen put wide.

A home corner on 51 minutes was headed clear by Waterfall, before a high, looping cross from the left was well claimed by McKeown.

The Mariners took the lead soon afterwards though when they finally provided the moment of quality the game had been crying out for. Town worked the ball down the left and a chipped cross from Hewitt was met by VERNAM, who headed into the top corner of the net.

Scunthorpe's response saw a corner from the right headed wide by Andy Butler, before a stoppage came with an injury to Glennon. After receiving treatment, he was not fit to continue and was replaced by Tilley.

Clarke tried to take advantage of Watson being off his line with a first-time shot on the hour but the ball was deflected away for a corner on the right. From it, the Mariners doubled their advantage when Clarke's delivery was met by WATERFALL, who had the simple task of nodding it into the net from close range.

Clarke had a chance on 64 minutes but sent his shot over the bar from the edge of the box, before Scunthorpe's first change saw Devarn Green come on in place of Lewis Butroid.

A foul on van Veen gave the hosts a free kick on 70 minute and after van Vaan's chipped delivery to the far post was headed back across goal, McKeown did well to block a shot by Miller.

A low ball by McAtee across goal had to be turned behind for a corner soon afterwards but the delivery from the flag didn't beat the first defender. Town broke through Vernam and then Wright but the move broke down as he slipped.

Green came on for Clarke in Town's final change, before Sutton was sent on in place of Rory McArdle as the home side made their second substitution.

A run by van Veen down the left led to a corner as his shot was deflected wide of the near post but again, he failed to cause any problems from the flag.

Sutton's appearance proved to be a very brief one as he was shown a straight red card for a poor challenge on Whiteouse in front of the dug-outs just four minutes after coming on. Town assistant manager Anthony Limbrick was shown the yellow card after a melee between the coaching staff of both clubs following the foul.

Alex Gillead was booked for bringing Vernam down near the edge of the Scunthorpe box but Grandin's shot from it hit the home wall. Wright did well to bring the ball back under control on the right and send over a cross which was eventually cleared for a throw-in.

Hewitt was booked for a poor challenge on McAtee as he looked to break through the middle but again, the hosts were unable to take advantage from the free-kick.

Five added minutes were played at the end of the game and Town closed them out to seal the win.

The Mariners are next in action on Saturday, when Carlisle United are the visitors to Blundell Park.

United: Watson, Butler, van Veen, Perch, Gabriel, Butroid, Gilliead, McArdle, Miller, Bedeau, McAtee

Subs:Lawlor, Songo’o, Sutton, Green, Rowe, Pugh, Liddle.

McKeown (c), Hendrie, Waterfall, Davis, Glennon, Hewitt, Grandin, Whitehouse, Wright, Clarke, Vernam.

Subs: Russell, Davies, Pollock, Tilley, Clifton, Benson, Green.

Referee: Anthony Backhouse

Attendance: 6,855

Advertisement block

Ticket News

🚌Travelling To Scunny? Read Our Essential Guide Before You Set Off

Kristine Green's essential guide.

6 March 2020

Ticket News

Please Arrive Early On Saturday

6 March 2020

What’s the ticket information?

This is an ALL TICKET fixture – no tickets will be available at the ground on the day. 

Tickets are for allocated seating so please go to seat that is displayed on your ticket. This avoids delays for all. 

How do I get to the ground?

Nice and easy from Grimsby – A180/M180 then turn off for M181. 3rd exit at the roundabout and the ground is on your right. 

Travelling from further afield?  The postcode is DN15 8TD 

Where is the best place to park?

There are 600 spaces at the ground at a cost of £3.  Be aware that the retail park across the road has restrictions.  Otherwise it is roadside or street parking – keep an eye on signage and be considerate when parking. 

What is the nearest train station to the stadium and what is the approximate distance and walking time?

Scunthorpe Station is about 2 miles and a 45-minute walk away from the ground so please be mindful of this when choosing your train.  Police will around to guide you on a route to the ground. 

From Cleethorpes the 0926 and 1026 (0934 and 1034 from Grimsby) are formed of six carriages as is the 1603 return train.  All others are formed for three carriages. 

Unless you’ve got transport in mind the latest train you want to be catching to Scunthorpe is the 1026 because of the walk and extra searches at the ground. You may miss kick off otherwise. 

Recommended pubs for away fans?

The only pub in Scunthorpe serving away fans is The Farmhouse near the ground with a capacity of around 200. 

The Iron Bar at the ground is not admitting away fans. 

Alternatively, the Black Bull in Brigg is opening at 9am for fans and has a capacity of around 100. 

Staying in town and catching a later train?

The Hope & Anchor in Grimsby is opening at 8am and offering pints at £2 on the production of a match ticket. 

In Cleethorpes, Society opens at 8am and is serving bacon buns until 10am with pints starting at £1.80. 

Food available in the area?

There is a Pizza Hut and a Frankie and Bennies but could be too busy to be an option.  

When do turnstiles open?

Turnstiles will open at 11:30am 

Where is the nearest cash machine to the Stadium?

The large Tesco Extra across the road from the ground has a number of cash machines.

What is the process for supporters looking to bring flags and instruments into the stadium?

Larger flags and instruments need permission – 

What food and drink is available on the concourse at the stadium?

Standard food and drink offerings.  Alcohol will only be available in the AMS Stand, the East Stand is alcohol-free.  

Information for disabled supporters

Parking at the ground is free for blue badge holders on a first come first-served basis. 

Advertisement block

Advertisement block