Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Ebbsfleet 1 v Town 1

1 December 2012

Ebbsfleet Utd 1 (Godden 42) 
Grimsby Town 1 (Marshall 2)

THE Mariners made four changes from the side that saw off Buxton in the FA Carlsberg Trophy replay on Wednesday night.

Sam Hatton replaced Bradley Wood and the fit again Nathan Pond came in for Ian Miller in the Town defence. Andy Cook and Ross Hannah replaced Greg Pearson and Michael Rankine respectively.

The Mariners started the game well and got off to the perfect start after just two minutes. Cook and Hannah combined well to set up Marcus Marshall who finished in style with a powerful shot into the top left corner.

But three minutes from the end of the fist half United were level. The ball was played into the Town box on the right hand side, with seemingly no danger, the ball sliced of Craig Disley’s foot and fell nicely for Scunthorpe United loanee Matt Godden to score past McKeown.

McKeown had earlier worked wonders to deny Godden from a diving header and from a corner on the right Shaun Pearson’s powered header was well saved by Edwards in the Fleet goal. 

There was action at both ends in the second half. 

James McKeown was called upon to make a couple of good saves – notably when he slipped over. With the ball rolling towards the Town stopper, he slipped, but with Godden set to round the keeper and tap into an empty net, the Irish keeper got back and knocked the ball away from the Fleet forward.

Hannah, Niven and Marshall all had good chances to snatch it for the visitors but a point a piece was probably a fair result in the end. 

The Teams: 

Ebbsfleet Utd: Edwards, Ada, Carew, Stone, Howe, Azeez, Barrett, Phipp, Enver-Marum, Godden, Walsh.  

Subs: Blake, Menz,, Bellamy, Ashikodi, Greenhalgh 

Grimsby Town: McKeown, Hatton, Pearson, Pond, Thomas, Marshall, Southwell, Niven, Disley, Cook, Hannah.

Subs: Miller, Colbeck, Thanoj, Rankine, Wood.

Click here for Live Commentary and our Match Live Console

Advertisement block