Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Mariners Earn Lincs Cup Win

24 July 2012

Scunthorpe Utd 0 Grimsby Town 2 (Soares 38 , Cook 73) 

Grimsby Town earned their best victory of pre-season so far with a 2-0 Lincolnshire Senior Cup success against Scunthorpe United at Glanford Park.

The Mariners were good value for the win against their League One neighbours, who rarely posed a major attacking threat.

Town took the lead on 38 minutes through Louie Soares and added to it with a great strike from substitute Andy Cook in the second half.

Scunthorpe tried to get back into the game but Grimsby defended superbly to ensure a clean sheet as another reward for an excellent performance.

Town bosses Rob Scott and Paul Hurst named a strong line-up, with James McKeown in goal, behind a defence of Sam Hatton, Shaun Pearson, Ian Miller and Aswad Thomas.

Louie Soares, Craig Disley, Derek Niven and Frankie Artus were the midfielders, with Anthony Elding and Greg Pearson up front.

Scunthorpe included ex-Leeds striker and new signing Mike Grella, while ex-Town left-back Tom Newey, on trial at Glanford Park, was looking to impress manager Alan Knill.

Scunthorpe had the first real chance of the game on five minutes when the ball was crossed from the left but striker Bobby Grant could only direct his header wide of McKeown's goal.

Town won a free kick for a foul on Disley on 10 minutes but Artis' 30-yard shot cannoned back off the hosts' wall.

At the other end, a cross from Jimmy Ryan on the right was headed out by Pearson for the first corner of the game, which was comfortably dealt with by the Mariners defence.

Right-back Christian Ribeiro was the next in claret and blue to create some danger, finding the space to fizz a low ball across the six-yard line but no attacker could get a touch to divert it towards goal.

Artus was tripped by Walker to give Grimsby another free kick in a promising position and from it, the visitors should have taken the lead.

Hatton's shot was touched onto the bar by keeper Sam Slocombe, who then got up to get a hand to Greg Pearson's weak effort from the rebound, before the offside flag went up against Elding as he tapped the ball into the net from close range.

A cross from Ribeiro on the Scunthorpe right was spilled out for a corner by McKeown but Grant's header from the flag-kick was powered over the bar.

The next chance also went to the hosts, with Mark Duffy cutting in from the left before hitting a shot that was deflected away for a corner.

Soares was fouled on the left of the Scunthorpe penalty area by Ryan to give Town another good set-piece opportunity but they could not make it count, as Artus' chipped delivery proved too high for Niven.

Grant hammered another shot well over the bar from 25 yards just after the half-hour, before Elding let fly with a long-range effort on 36 minutes that flew narrowly wide of the mark.

The deadlock was broken seven minutes before the break, when a poor pass in the Scunthorpe midfield was capitalised on by the Mariners and the ball was worked through top SOARES, who slid it past Slocombe and into the far corner of the net, to the delight of an excellent away following at the opposite end of the ground.

The home side had a chance to level matters almost straight away, when a foul by Niven on Duffy gave them a free kick in a central position but walker's 25-yard shot was blocked by the Town wall.

The pressure was to continue with another United corner on 41 minutes but McKeown was equal to it, punching the ball clear of danger.

Soares lost out to Duffy in midfield soon afterwards but the Scunthorpe man could only float his long-range shot straight into McKeown's arms.

At the other end, Pearson had a shooting chance from the edge of the area but his effort cleared the bar.

Grella volleyed wide for the League One side two minutes before the interval, before Andy Barcham hit a weak shot from inside the box inside the one added minute that proved comfortable for McKeown to stop.

That proved to be the last chance for the home side to get back on level terms before the half-time whistle, meaning Town held their lead going into the dressing rooms.

Andy Cook replaced Elding in the Mariners attack before the restart and Town had the first good chance of the second half, when Soares ghosted down the right and crossed but nobody in black and white could get on the end of it.

A Callum Kennedy cross at the other end was cut out for a corner but again, the home side could not make it count.

Another corner came when a shot from Duffy was deflected behind but again, the Mariners stood firm in the face of the Scunthorpe pressure.

Thomas was the next to try his luck for Town, running down the left but failing to hit the target from 25 yards.

Duffy forced McKeown into a good save when he cut in from the left and curled an effort towards the far post but the keeper was equal to it, diving to keep the shot out.

Soares was replaced by Joe Colbeck on 62 minutes and he was given a chance to make it 2-0 when a cross from Thomas was flicked on by Greg Pearson. But the former Hereford winger dragged his volley wide and the offside flag had gone up against him in any case.

Scunthorpe were given a free kick for a foul by Niven right on the edge of the Town penalty area on 71 minutes but Kennedy sent his shot over the bar.

That was the signal for the hosts to make a double change, with Connor Jennings and Robbie Gibbons both coming off the bench.

But when the second goal came two minutes later, it was the Mariners who doubled their advantage, with COOK cutting in from the right before unleashing a thunderbolt shot past Slocombe and into the far corner.

Ryan flashed a shot wide for Scunthorpe as they looked to get back into the game, before the same player forced McKeown to beat the ball away for a corner with another shot. Jennings headed wide after the kick.

The home pressure kept coming and Walker was the next to force the Town stopper into action, smashing a drive from 25 yards that McKeown did well to get fingertips to.

A cross from Kennedy was blocked by Hatton for another corner, which led to centre-back Niall Canavan heading straight at McKeown.

AndI Thanoj came on in place of Niven for the final four minutes of the game and Town closed out the game well to record a great win and provide more encouragement ahead of the new season after Friday's goalless draw with Hull City.

The result meant earned the Mariners a Lincolnshire Senior Cup final tie with Lincoln City on Tuesday, July 31.

Before that, they will be in action away to Barton Town Old Boys on Saturday.

Advertisement block