Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Barrow 2-2 Grimsby Town

4 September 2012

TWO goals from substitute Anthony Elding earned Grimsby Town a share of the spoils as they came from 2-0 down to draw with Barrow at Holker Street.


The Mariners fell behind in first half stoppage time when Richie Baker converted from the penalty spot after a foul by Frankie Artus.


Striker Joe Jackson then doubled the home side’s advantage on the hour, before Elding pulled one back soon after coming off the bench.


And the striker completed the comeback with seven minutes left to play, scoring a penalty after Colbeck was brought down inside the box.


Dayle Southwell came in for Greg Pearson in what was the only change to the starting line-up from the Town side that beat Hereford on Saturday.


The young striker was selected for his first start ahead of Anthony Elding after scoring when he replaced Pearson at Edgar Street.


James McKeown began in goal, with Bradley Wood, Nathan Pond, Shaun Pearson and Aswad Thomas forming the defence.


Joe Colbeck, Craig Disley, Derek Niven and Frankie Artus made up the midfield, while Southwell was partnered up front by Andy Cook, making his first return to Barrow since signing for the Mariners from the Cumbrian side in the summer.


Elding had to be content with a place on the bench, along with Sam Hatton, Louie Soares, Simon Ford and Andi Thanoj.


The home side had the first chance of the game, when a foul by Niven on Joseph Jackson led to Adam Boyes heading over the bar from Garry Hunter’s free kick.


A mistake by Pond almost gave Barrow a goalscoring opportunity, as the Fleetwood loanee left the ball at the near post after it had been crossed but McKeown and Pearson combined to scramble it away for a corner.


Town struggled to get the ball into attacking areas in the early stages of the game as Barrow, aided by a number of free kicks for Town fouls, were the side doing most of the pressing.


Pearson did well to deny Jackson with a good challenge inside his own penalty area on 26 minutes, after Danny Rowe had brought the ball forward for the hosts.


Pearson was involved again soon afterwards, heading the ball clear after a cross from Boyes.


Town had a spell of possession just after the half-hour and put together a promising move which led to a cross from Artus but the ball was cleared.


A Colbeck run down the right then led to Wood hitting a first-time cross but again, he could not pick out a team-mate as the home defence dealt with the danger.


Town kept up their pressure though and they had a chance on 35 minutes, although Southwell volleyed over the bar.


Artus almost got on the end of a long ball two minutes later but home keeper Danny Hurst got there first, colliding with the Grimsby winger in the process.


At the other end, a Barrow corner from the left was headed away by Disley, before Artus completed the clearance.


Barrow were finishing the first half the stronger of the two sides and McKeown was forced to make a great save to deny Richie Baker, who had shot from 25 yards.

A free kick for a foul by Thomas, who was booked for the challenge, gave the home side another chance to create some danger but the free kick caused no problems, as Disley brought the ball clear.


One added minute was played at the end of the half, with Barrow attacking in search of an opening goal.


And the hosts did break the deadlock when a foul by Artus on Paul Rutherford inside the box led to referee Ross Joyce pointing to the penalty spot.  BAKER made no mistake from 12 yards, giving McKeown no chance and making it 1-0.


That proved to be the last meaningful action of the first half, meaning Town would have to mount a comeback after the break if they were to get anything out of the game.


No changes were made before the restart and Town had an opening early in the second half but a shot by Cook was blocked.


A Mariners corner soon afterwards quickly led to another, which was headed on by Pearson before Pond rifled a shot against the post from the edge of the box as Town came the closest they had been to a goal so far.


Thomas won a corner on the left and from it, Grimsby almost had their equaliser when Pearson met the delivery with a powerful header but the effort was blocked on the line.


Baker was booked for a foul on Southwell as Town continued to show more of an attacking threat than they had done before the interval.  But the Mariners could not make the free kick count, as Artus hit it well over the bar.


The home side’s first real opportunity of the half saw Jackson hit a shot wide on the turn after good work by Rowe.


Thanoj replaced Niven for Town just before the hour and soon afterwards, Grimsby fell further behind, when the substitute diverted the ball behind Wood and Rowe played the ball in for JACKSON to steer it beyond McKeown and double Barrow’s advantage.


The goal was the signal for Rob Scott and Paul Hurst to make their two remaining substitutions, sending Elding and Soares on in place of Cook and Artus.


Town appealed for a penalty when Southwell went down inside the box after good work by Soares to keep the ball in play on the left but referee Mr Joyce ruled the youngster had just been outmuscled.


The Mariners halved the deficit on 66 minutes, when a great ball into the box by Thanoj was hit towards goal by Colbeck and ELDING finished it off, tapping into the net from close range.


A foul by Pond on Boyes on the edge of the Town box gave Barrow a free kick in a dangerous position two minutes later but Rowe’s shot was blocked by Colbeck, with the ball spinning away for a corner.


Jackson was presented with a chance after Soares lost the ball inside his own box but McKeown got down at his near post to stop the striker’s shot, at the expense of another corner.


A foul on Colbeck by Hunter gave Town a free kick and Wood’s delivery was met by Pond but he could only find keeper Hurst with his header.


Soares had a shot saved by Hurst after he had been picked out by Elding and Barrow eventually got the ball away after to keep their lead intact.


Town won a penalty after Elding found Colbeck and he ran into the box before being caught.  ELDING immediately picked the ball up and after placing it on the spot, he put it high into the net to level the scores with seven minutes to go.


And the Mariners could have gone in front soon afterwards but Southwell sent his header off-target from a cross by Soares.


Three minutes of stoppage time were signalled at the end of the game, with both sides still attacking in search of a decisive goal.


Soares looked as if he may have earned another penalty for Town when he went down inside the area but the former Hayes and Yeading United man was instead penalised for diving.


At the other end, McKeown had to come off his line to punch the ball clear after it had been played over Pearson.


A cross from Wood was headed on by Thanoj but the ball was cleared and the referee’s final whistle came soon afterwards, leaving both sides with a point.


Town will look to extend what has now become a five-game unbeaten run when they welcome league leaders Forest Green Rovers to Blundell Park on Saturday.

Advertisement block