Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Hannah at the Double in Town Victory

16 July 2013

Brigg Town 0 Grimsby Town 3


A FIRST-HALF brace from Ross Hannah set Grimsby Town on the way to a comfortable 3-0 win at Brigg Town in their latest pre-season outing.

Liam Hearn added the third late on in a game that was delayed by 50 minutes because of an accident on the M180, which delayed a number of Mariners' fans travelling to the game.

Trialist goalkeeper Jake Turner was again named between the sticks with young Paul Walker continuing at right-back. Sam Hatton switched to left-back with Shaun Pearson and Chris Doig anchoring the defence.

The midfield quartet was made up of Alex Rodman, Paddy McLaughlin, Andi Thanoj and Scott Neilson with Andy Cook partnering Hannah up front.

And it was the former Bradford man who gave the visitors the lead with one of their first attacks.

The striker latched onto a carefully weighted pass from Hatton and expertly lobbed former Town stopper Andy Pettinger from 20 yards.

Brigg enjoyed plenty of possession but rarely troubled Turner in the goal; former Mariners' trialist Michael Jacklin coming closest with a far post header.

At the other end, Pearson will feel he could have done better with a header from six yards following a corner and then Hannah sent a similar lob from distance inches wide of the target after Pettinger charged fully 30 yards out of his goal to meet a long ball.

The former Matlock man was looking dangerous in the final third and he had a goal harshly ruled out for offside ten minutes before the interval.

Rodman did well to work space for a cross on the left and it was perfectly judged for Hannah, who had peeled away from his marker, to nod home from close range but he was denied by the assistant referee's flag.

But two minutes before half-time the frontman did get his second. Again Rodman was involved, bursting into the left-hand side of the penalty area before being felled and it was left to Hannah to step up and thump the spot kick.

The Mariners were two goals to the good at the interval but made just one change for the second half, Lenell John-Lewis replacing Andy Cook.

And the former Bury man was quickly involved, testing Pettinger with a stinging effort, just moments after Hannah had seen a similar shot saved at the near post.

The hosts were enjoying more possession in the second half and former Mariners' midfielder Paul Ashton worried Turner with a long distance effort that drifted just over.

Managers Rob Scott and Paul Hurst shuffled their pack midway through the second period, sending on Aswad Thomas, Scott Kerr, Craig Disley, Joe Colbeck, Dayle Southwell and Liam Hearn in place of Doig, Thanoj, McLaughlin, Neilson, Rodman and Hannah.

John-Lewis was the one looking most threatening and he turned on the edge of the box from Colbeck's centre but pulled his shot over the crossbar.

Thomas was then the supply line with a fine deep cross that found John-Lewis at the far post but he could only loop a header over, perhaps not aware of the time that he had available.

Hearn forced Pettinger into another good save as the game moved into the final ten minutes before turning provider for Thomas.

The left-back had originally won the ball on the edge of his own area and he ran fully 80 yards to find himself one-on-one with the home stopper but his finish lacked composure and drifted wide.

But the third goal did arrive three minutes from time. The Mariners burst down the left at pace and Colbeck squared for Hearn to score from inside the area.

The Town striker then had a glorious opportunity to add a fourth straight after but he placed his shot wide with just Pettinger to beat.

The Mariners return to action on Saturday when they travel to Scunthorpe United in the Lincolnshire Senior Cup Quarter Final.

Mariners: Turner; Walker, Hatton, Pearson, Doig (Thomas); Neilson (Colbeck), McLaughlin (Kerr), Disley (Thanoj), Rodman (Southwell); Hannah (Hearn), Cook (John-Lewis).

Advertisement block