Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Town 1-0 Hull City XI

26 July 2013

.A LENELL John-Lewis penalty sent Grimsby Town on their way to victory over a Hull City Development XI at Blundell Park


The Mariners produced a dominant performance against the youngsters from across the River Humber and could have won by a wider margin.


Former England C goalkeeper Jonathan Hedge started between the sticks for the Mariners just an hour after his signing was announced.


A strong Town line-up saw Sam Hatton, Shaun Pearson, Clayton McDonald and Paul Bignot make up the back four, with Joe Colbeck, Scott Kerr and AndI Thanoj forming the midfield three.


Dayle Southwell, Lenell John-Lewis and Ross Hannah were the attackers as Rob Scott and Paul Hurst again opted for a 4-3-3 formation.


Hull included former Town loanee Conor Townsend, who was given a warm round of applause by the home fans when the teams were introduced to the crowd before the kick-off.


Striker Aaron McLean fired wide for Hull in the early stages, before Town looked to have a chance with a ball through for Hannah on the edge of the box but the offside flag was raised against him.


The visitors went close to taking the lead on nine minutes when centre-back Matthew Dixon powered a header towards goal from a corner but his effort was blocked on the line by Hedge.


A Bignot cross from the right was cut out for a Town corner four minutes later but keeper Joe Cracknell was first to Thanoj’s delivery.


Another Thanoj corner narrowly eluded the run of Pearson as the Mariners began to get on top, before a foul on Colbeck brought a free kick in a promising position to the right of the Tigers’ box. Hannah shot from it but his effort was comfortable for Cracknell.


Grimsby were gifted an opportunity to take the lead when JOHN-LEWIS was fouled by Dixon inside the box and referee Richard Wigglesworth gave the penalty. The striker stepped up to the spot himself and made no mistake, confidently firing home to make it 1-0.


Town were playing some good football and Bignot won another corner on the left on 32 minutes, which had to be headed behind for another flag-kick, this time on the opposite flank.


Another good attacking move by the hosts on 41 minutes saw Bignot chip a cross for Colbeck to volley from 20 yards but his shot was blocked for a corner.


With no further chances before the half-time whistle, the Mariners went into the dressing rooms with a deserved lead.


The Hull youngsters had shown little as an attacking force against their more experienced hosts, who had been impressive over the first 45 minutes.


Aswad Thomas, Craig Disley and Scott Neilson replaced Pearson, Scott Kerr and Dayle Southwell before the restart for Town, with Bignot moving in alongside McDonald at centre-back.


The home side started the second half as they had played the first and Hannah had a chance three minutes in after a smart pass from John-Lewis, only to see his shot blocked.


A spell of Hull pressure around the 55-minute mark almost led to a chance for Danny Chambers from a low corner but the danger was dealt with by the Town defence.


A free kick in a central position soon afterwards brought another opportunity for the away side but Calum Martin fired it over the bar.


More Grimsby substitutions came just after the hour, with Paddy McLaughlin, Andy Cook and Liam Hearn replacing Hannah, John-Lewis and Colbeck.


Alex Rodman was the next to enter the fray when he replaced Neilson, who had managed just 20 minutes.


And the former Aldershot man could have doubled the Town advantage on 68 minutes but his curling effort was well saved by Cracknell at the expense of a corner.


Rodman had another chance when he bravely won the ball on halfway and set off on a run down the middle but his shot from 20 yards was off-target.


McDonald, who had enjoyed a good debut at the heart of the Town defence, was withdrawn with a quarter of an hour to go, as Paul Walker came on in his place.


Hull began to come into the game more in the final stages of the game but were unable to test Hedge in the Town goal, meaning the Mariners closed out their win.


Town are next in action away to North Ferriby United on Tuesday.

Advertisement block