Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Coalville Town 1-1 Grimsby Town

30 November 2013

GRIMSBY Town and Coalville will have to replay their FA Trophy first round tie after the two teams could not be separated at Owen Street.


After a first half low on chances, the Mariners took the lead five minutes after the break through Alex Rodman.


With Coalville attacks few and far between, Town looked to have done enough to secure their place in the second round.


But a late rally from the hosts led to leading scorer Jordan Hempenstall levelling the scores and earning the Leicestershire side a second shot at causing a shock.


Town boss Paul Hurst made six changes to the side that beat Barnet in the league last time out, with Chris Doig, Andy Cook, Scott Neilson, Paul Bignot, Andi Thanoj and Dayle Southwell all coming into the XI.


James McKeown began in goal, with Bignot, Doig, Clayton McDonald and Sam Hatton forming the defence.


Rodman, Thanoj, Patrick McLaughlin and Neilson were the midfielders, with Cook and Southwell named as the strike partnership.


The Town subs were Joe Colbeck, Craig Disley, Ross Hannah, Paul Walker and Caine Winfarrah.


Coalville came into the game looking to spring a big surprise by breaching a three-division gap to shock the Mariners.


But the Evo-Stik Northern Premier Division One South outfit were in good form ahead of the Trophy clash, sitting second in their league.


Among the danger men for the hosts would be Hempenstall, the club’s top goalscorer, who lined up just behind the front two of Ben Saunders and Anthony Carney.


Coalville kicked off and had the better of the early exchanges, winning the game’s first corner on five minutes. It came to nothing though, as referee Simon Bennet blew for a Town free kick as the ball came in from the right.


A Hempenstall cross from the left was headed clear by Doig, before Rodman won a Grimsby corner at the other end. McLaughlin’s low delivery was sliced out for another corner, which again did not lead to a goalscoring opportunity, despite being missed by home keeper Sean Bowles.


A foul just inside the Town half gave the home side a free kick and Cameron Stuart’s long-range shot deflected off the visitors’ wall and fell for Callum Woodward, who saw his effort blocked for a throw-in.


The best chance of the game so far came when the Mariners won a free kick inside the Coalville half and Neilson’s delivery was met by Cook but the striker volleyed over the bar.


Another corner, this time from Neilson on the left, was cleared on 14 minutes, before Thanoj tried his luck with a 35-yard shot that went wide four minutes later.


Cook helped a ball on in the air for Southwell to send a weak header through to Bowles in the Coalville goal on 22 minutes as the Mariners looked for an opening goal.


Hatton played a ball through for Southwell to cross from the left soon afterwards and the ball broke for Neilson to cut inside and send a shot over the bar from the edge of the penalty area.


Town won a corner three minutes before the half-hour but Neilson’s delivery was easy for Bowles to claim.


Southwell went close to opening the scoring soon afterwards, when he made a run into the box and crashed a shot against the near post from a tight angle.


Another two Town corners came around the 30-minute mark as the visitors continued their promising attacking spell but neither led to a chance in front of goal.


McKeown was booked when he came out of his area and conceded a foul. Stuart’s free kick got a deflection off Carney on its way through, before the ball was scrambled away for a corner.


A cross at the other end was headed out for a Grimsby corner by defender Danny Jenno but McDonald could not get his head to the flag-kick and a McLaughlin shot from 20 yards was blocked.


Rodman was fouled midway inside the Coalville half seven minutes before the break and McLaughlin’s free kick was met by Doig but Southwell could not capitalise in front of goal.


Hatton had to hook the ball clear after a cross from the left, before a Stuart free kick from 25 yards failed to beat the first defender as Thanoj headed clear on the edge of the box.


Town had an opening just before the interval when McLaughlin slid a ball through for Rodman on the right but nobody attacked his low cross and Bowles was not called into action.


One added minute was played at the end of the half and with no further chances, the game remained goalless at the break.


No changes were made before the restart and the Mariners thought they had taken the lead within seconds of the kick-off as Neilson’s shot beat Bowles but the goal was ruled out for offside.


Hempenstall created an opportunity at the other end with a low ball into the box but nobody in the black and white of Coalville could get on the end of it.


Town had the ball in the net again on 49 minutes when Rodman headed home at the far post but again, the offside flag went up to deny them an opening goal.


But it was third time lucky for the Mariners as they finally broke the deadlock a minute later. RODMAN cut in from the right and fired a shot which arrowed towards the top corner and went in off the underside of the bar.


A Rodman cross two minutes later led to a Grimsby corner on the right and they won another one soon afterwards as they continued to dominate the early stages of the second half.


Coalville’s first attack of note since the break brought a corner but it came to nothing and Town were back on the attack again soon afterwards, with Southwell having a shot blocked.


Winfarrah replaced Neilson just after the hour and the Mariners almost doubled their lead soon afterwards when an ambitious long-range effort from Hatton looped lust over the bar and landed on the roof of the net.


Reece Lester had a shot blocked as the hosts mounted a rare attack on 75 minutes, before Coalvillee missed their best chance of the game so far when McKeown failed to claim a cross and the ball dropped for Carney but he dragged his shot inches wide from 12 yards.


Carney fizzed another low effort just wide soon afterwards as the home revival continued.


And they had their equaliser with 10 minutes remaining as the influential Carney slid a ball through for HEMPENSTALL, who steered it past McKeown.


Kevin Charley was sent on in place of striker Ben Saunders as the hosts looked to grab an unlikely winner and stop the tie going to a replay.


McLaughlin was booked for a foul inside the Town half with five minutes to go but the free kick did not lead to a goalscoring chance.


Rodman was fouled midway inside the Coalville half to give the Mariners a free kick two minutes later but Hatton’s fierce drive was blocked at the edge of the area.


Another free kick came as the game moved into stoppage time but Cook could not get a good connection on Hatton’s ball to the far post.


Town kept attacking in a bid to win the tie on the day but they could not find a way through and the teams will now meet again at Blundell Park on Tuesday.

Advertisement block