Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Scunthorpe United 1 Grimsby Town 2

19 November 2013

Scunthorpe United 1 Grimsby Town 2

.GRIMSBY Town marched into round two of the FA Cup with a first round replay victory over local rivals Scunthorpe United at Glanford Park


After bossing the initial tie but failing to find a breakthrough in a goalless draw, the Mariners finished the job in front of almost 2,000 travelling supporters in North Lincolnshire.


Town took the lead through Lenell John-Lewis and they held their advantage until half-time but were pegged back by a terry hawk ridge equaliser seconds after the restart.


But Grimsby were not to be outdone and Clayton McDonald headed home from a Scott Kerr free kick to seal the victory and a home tie against Northampton Town in the next round.


Town were unchanged for the third game in a row, as boss Paul Hurst again put his trust in the starting XI from the victory against Tamworth last time out and the initial tie.


James McKeown began in goal, with Sam Hatton, Shaun Pearson, McDonald and Aswad Thomas forming the defence.


Joe Colbeck, Craig Disley, Kerr and Scott Neilson were the midfielders, with Ross Hannah and John-Lewis again selected as the front two.


Alex Rodman had to be content with a place on the bench despite netting the second goal at the Lamb Ground on Saturday. He was joined by Jonathan Hedge, Chris Doig, Andy Cook, Liam Hearn, Paul Bignot and Paddy McLaughlin.


Scunthorpe manager Brian Laws made three changes from the team that took to the field in Cleethorpes, with Christian Ribeiro coming in for Cliff Byrne at right-back, as Niall Canavan replaced Luke Waterfall in central defence and Deon Burton was preferred to Etienne Esajas.


Town were given an early opportunity when Neilson was fouled deep inside the Scunthorpe half but Kerr’s delivery from the free kick was poor.


The hosts looked to be on top in the early stages but another opening for the Mariners almost came when Thomas found the space to cross from the left, although his ball was headed away.


Another cross from Thomas was headed away before a volley from Colbeck cannoned back off the post.


Town were starting to dominate and they took the lead on nine minutes, when JOHN-LEWIS took the ball inside the box and steered a calm, low finish past Sam Slocombe in the United goal.


Kerr had a shot saved by Slocombe on 14 minutes as Town continued their good start to the game, before a free kick from Scunthorpe’s Hawkridge beat everybody and went out for a goal kick.


McDonald was penalised for a foul on the Scunthorpe left four minutes later but again, nobody in claret and blue could get on the end of the free kick.


Home skipper Michael Collins dragged a shot well wide from outside the box as the League Two side looked for a way back into the game, before McKeown was forced to make his first save of the night from a deflected Sam Winnall effort.


Jimmy Spencer volleyed a shot from the 18-yard line that McKeown had to dive to stop, before Town won a corner at the other end and Kerr’s delivery was eventually claimed by Slocombe after Hannah got a touch to it.


Spencer saw another shot blocked as Scunthorpe seemed to be controlling possession just before the half-hour.


Collins was given a warning when he fouled Neilson inside the Town half, before another free kick came when John-Lewis was fouled on halfway. Hatton’s delivery was headed on by Neilson but the ball went through to Slocombe.


A cross to the far post was headed back across goal by Colbeck as Town looked for a second goal but Hannah could not get to the ball ahead of the keeper.


Scunthorpe had looked short of ideas in the final third, with the Mariners the more dangerous in attacking situations.


The visitors created another chance four minutes before the break, when a high cross from Colbeck was touched on by John-Lewis for Hannah but his shot was blocked from a narrow angle.


Soon afterwards, the Mariners were on the attack again and Thomas crossed for Disley, whose volley was saved .


One added minute was played and Town held firm in the face of Scunthorpe attacks to preserve their advantage at the interval.


But they did not hold onto the lead for long, as Scunthorpe were level within 25 seconds of the restart, when the ball dropped in the box and HAWKRIDGE was there to force it into the net from close range.


Town responded well and they won a corner on the left four minutes in, although they could not turn it into a goalscoring opportunity.


A Scunthorpe corner came at the other end three minutes later but it was dealt with by Thomas, who headed clear.


McDonald was booked for a foul on Spencer which gave the hosts a free kick on the edge of the Grimsby D. Left-back Andy Dawson took it but his shot was saved by McKeown.


Christian Ribeiro was the next to be shown a yellow card for a foul on the Town left and from the resulting free kick, the visitors were back in front when Kerr’s delivery was met by McDONALD, who headed past Slocombe for 2-1.


The pace of the game seemed to move up a gear after the goal, with both sides looking to attack. Town were seeking a third goal which would be likely to kill off the tie, while Scunthorpe were desperate to get back on level terms.


It was the Iron who had the next chance through Spencer but his powerful drive from the edge of the area on 66 minutes was saved by McKeown, who gathered the ball at the second attempt.


John-Lewis almost had a second goal when the ball broke to hi on the edge of the box after a Hatton free kick was half-cleared but the striker’s fizzing volley narrowly cleared the crossbar.


Spencer was replaced by Hakeeb Adelakun as United made the first substitution just before the 70-minute mark.


His first involvement was to send a low cross over from the left which Burton appeared to handle but referee Stuart Attwell allowed play to go on and Sam Winnall shot at McKeown.


McLaughlin came on for Neilson in what was Grimsby’s first change of the evening, before Chris Iwelumo replaced Burton up front for the home side.


A Hawkridge cross from the right was cut out for a corner after a quick Scunthorpe break on 79 minutes but the home side failed to create any danger from the flag.

Adelakun had a chance two minutes later but he could not beat McKeown, who blocked the shot with his legs.


Winnall then had a shot that deflected through to the Town stopper after another home counter-attack.


The pressure was mounting on the Town goal and Hatton had to concede a corner on 84 minutes to clear a ball that came across the six-yard line.


Rodman came on for Hannah for the final two minutes of regulation time, plus the four minutes of added time which were signalled by the fourth official.


Scunthorpe attacked throughout in a desperate bid to take the game to extra time but the Mariners held firm to secure their passage to round two.


They now return to league action when they entertain Barnet at Blundell Park on Saturday.

Advertisement block