Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Kidderminster Harriers 0-1 Grimsby Town

5 April 2014

GRIMSBYTown made it a hat-trick of away wins inside the last eight days and a fourth victory on the spin on the road as they beat Kidderminster Harriers at Aggborough.

As with the victories at Wrexham, Hereford and Nuneaton, one goal proved enough, with Alex Rodman scoring the winner on 20 minutes.

From then on, the Mariners were solid in keeping out everything the hosts threw at them in a bid to keep their own play-off aspirations on track.


Town were not to be beaten and they held out to stay third in the Skrill Premier and keep their promotion push on course.

One change was made to the Town side that won at Wrexham in midweek, with Scott Ker coming into the midfield in place of Andi Thanoj after serving his one-match suspension.

Otherwise, it was as you were, with James McKeown in goal and Sam Hatton, Shaun Pearson, Andrw Boyce and Aswad Thomas making up the back four.

Rodman, Craig Disley, Kerr and Paddy McLaughlin were the midfielders, with Lenell John-Lewis and Ross Hannah starting in attack.


Town started positively and had an early opportunity with a foul on Rodman right on the edge of the Kidderminster box, although Hannah fired his shot over the bar from the resulting free kick.

A collision between McKeown and Boyce almost let the home side in on the quarter-hour but the defence recovered and the ball was cleared.

The Mariners then went on to open the scoring five minutes later, when RODMAN hit a shot from long range which flew past home keeper Daniel Lewis and into the net.

Kidderminster began to come into the game after the goal and they missed an opportunity through striker Amari Morgan-Smith, who hit a shot wide on the turn.

McKeown then had to be at his best to keep the visitors’ lead intact just after the half-hour, when a powerful header by Michael Gash looked to have beaten the keeper, only for him to push the ball onto his post before gathering it at the second attempt.

Defender Lee Vaughan beat Thomas to work himself a shooting chance soon afterwards but McKeown pushed the ball around the post.


At the other end, John-Lewis forced his way into the penalty area but could not pick out a team-mate and a goal kick was the result.

Soon afterwards, Rodman sent a cross over after a short corner but he could not find Pearson or Boyce and the ball went out of play again.

One added minute was played at the end of the first half and with no further chances, Town’s narrow lead was still in place at the interval.

No changes were made by either side before the restart and an early Town free kick from Hatton was cleared.


Grimsby again started the half brightly with some good spells of possession, although Disley had to time a tackle to perfection inside his own box to deny the home side.

A Kidderminster corner was headed away by Hatton at the near post, before Adrian Cieslowicz was sent on as Harriers made the first substitution of the game.

McLaughlin was booked for a late challenge, before a promising Town break through Rodman just before the hour ended when his pass was too strong for Hannah.

Midfielder Josh O’Keefe hit a shot for the home side which cleared McKeown’s bar as the home side began to dominate, albeit without really troubling the Town defence.

Hannah was replaced by Jennings for the closing stages of the game, before Kidderminster’s best chance so far led to Disley clearing off the line after an initial attempt was blocked.

The home side pushed forward as the clock ticked down but Town almost had an opportunity to seal the points in the last minute, when clever play by Jennings almost saw him set John-Lewis up.  The ball was slightly too far ahead of the striker though and keeper Lewis got to the ball first.

Four added minutes were played at the end of the game as Town, roared on by more than 400 travelling supporters, held on to claim a vital three points.

Rodman could have extended the advantage with a chance in the last of the extra minutes but his shot was saved by Lewis.

It did not matter though, as the home side could not create any more opportunities and Town were left to celebrate another hard-earned away win.

They are next in action when Woking are the visitors to Blundell Park on Tuesday.

Advertisement block