Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Town Futsal Progress

6 February 2014

GRIMSBY Town Sports and Education Trust Futsal side headed to Birmingham this week to compete in the soccer AM Cup, after qualifying before Christmas to reach the second round. The Mariners were drawn into group five which was labeled the group of death with us, Cardiff City, Exter City and Brighton and Hove Albion making up the group.
GrimsbyTown vs. Cardiff City
The game started with both team cautious of each other, Grimsby stuck to their shape and discipline and Cardiff finding no way to break the Town side down. Five minutes, Grimsby took the lead through a left foot strike from Tom Watters, shortly after Jack Blendell scored to make it two, then Connor Watson scored a well worked goal to make it 3. After half time Blendell scored his second to make it four, the game tightened up before Matty Perrin played in Oakley Luddington who slotted in the net with his first touch to make it five. From this point some short sharp passing from Grimsby opened Cardiff up for Tom Watters to run through and score the sixth and final goal of the game.
Grimsby Town vs. Exeter City 
The game started well for the Mariners as they took the lead early on from a good finish from distance by Connor Watson. Town then added to their score line to make the score 2-0 midway through the 1st half from a good finish from Tom Watters, Grimsby grew in confidence and grabbed another through Watters adding his second of the game and making the game 3-0.  Exeter grabbed a goal back just after Grimsby scored and putting them back in the game. However Grimsby was in full stride now and seconds before half time a fourth goal made it 4-1 at half time and the game looked over for Exeter.
The second half saw Jack Burrows sent off. The mariners had to now wait two minutes before a replacement player could enter the court, Town had to defend a man down, Exeter now applying the pressure but struggled to create anything clear cut and the Mariners saw the game out to win 4-1.
Grimsby Town vs Brighton and Hove Albion

The first half was slow paced with both teams happy to sit back. While in possession both teams kept the and showed a patient approach. The Mariners did manage to break Brighton down before half time after a good cross from Watters left Watson with a tap in at the far post. Half time score 1-0. With Brighton needing points from this final game to qualify from the group stage the game opened up, Brighton started well and their early pressure paid off with a goal making it 1-1. The Mariners replied instantly with two quick goals from Perrin and Luddington. Brighton now playing with the fly goalkeeper pulled another back to make the score 3-2. Brighton now pushing for goals allowed Town to hit them on the counter and add a further two goals each from Watson and Luddington.The game finished 7-3 to the young Mariners.
Town after three wins out of three finished top of the group with nine points and qualification into the last 16 of the soccer AM cup. Town face Crystal Palace in the next round. To watch highlights of the Mariners trip watch Soccer AM this Saturday.

We will soon be recruiting again for the Futsal. Check back to or visit 

Advertisement block