Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Grimsby Town 2 - 1 Lincoln City

14 October 2014

THE Mariners lifted the FA County Cup tonight thanks to two fantastic Ross Hannah strikes.

Paul Hurst  made nine changes for this evening’s Lincolnshire Senior Cup Final against Lincoln City.

As promised, the Town boss rested a host of first-teamers for the tie.

Only Shaun Pearson, who will miss Saturday's trip to Torquay through suspension,  and James McKeown retained their starting positions from Saturday’s excellent victory at Wrexham.

Youth-teamer Josh Venney partnered Paddy McLaughlin in the centre of Town's midfield.

Caine Winfarrah had Town's first real effort of note on seven minutes, with his shot from 25 yards going just wide of Townsend's right-hand post.

A flat corner from Paddy McLaughlin found Nathan Arnold nicely, his first effort was blocked, his second attempt was blocked again, with his third strike going just wide.  


And minutes later the former Alfreton striker got in behind the Imps defence, but his powerful shot was tipped around the post by the City keeper.   

The resulting corner fell nicely to Ross Hannah, his first effort was saved, but the Town striker neatly lobbed the rebound over Townsend and into the net.

Some poor defending by the Mariners allowed City to equalise on 35 minutes. The Town defence had two attempts at clearing the ball, with the ball eventually falling to former Town midfielder Marcus Marshall to finish low to McKeown's right.

Half-Time: Grimsby Town 1 - 1 Lincoln City

A fantastic through ball by Caine Winfarrah found Rhys Oates, who clipped the ball over one defender, then another, before firing just wide of the post.

The Mariners nearly regained the lead on 58 minutes. It was a great break by Town and a great squared ball by Ross Hannah, finding his strike partner Rhys Oates. The Barnsley loanee's scuffed shot was goal-bound but was somehow cleared off the line and away.

A fantastic goal on 73 minutes restored the Mariners' lead. A great through ball by Rhys Oates found the run of Ross Hannah, who advanced, before neatly chipping the ball over the advancing City keeper.  

And the lively Rhys Oates went close again after latching onto a Nathan Arnold through ball, this time just wide of Townsend's right hand post.  

Tom Anderson almost leveled things on 87 but his header drifted just over the crossbar.

And Nathan Arnold almost made it three but his shot from inside the box was palmed away by the City stopper.

But City weren't done yet and Newton's shot was cleared off the line by Town defender Shaun Pearson.

Attendance: 652 (26)

Town: McKeown, Walker, Bignot, Pearson, Humble, Venney, McLaughlin, Arnold, Winfarrah, Oates, Hannah.

Subs: Sunter, Bastock, Appleby, Barnett, Bemrose.

City: Townsend, Caprice, Diagne, Anderson, Jordan, Mendy, Power, Nolan, Ledsham, Sam-Yorke, Marshall.

Subs: Preece, Newton, Tomlinson, Barr-Rostron, Acar. 


Advertisement block