Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Gateshead 3-2 Grimsby Town (AET)

21 January 2015

GRIMSBYTown were knocked out of the FA Trophy after extra time as Gateshead won the second round replay between the clubs at the International Stadium.

The hosts took the lead through Jamie Chandler but their advantage lasted just seven minutes before the recalled Paddy McLaughlin levelled the scores.

Defender James Curtis restored the home side’s lead after half-time but again, Town got themselves back into the contest with two minutes to go, when a cross by substitute Jack Mackreth was carried over his own line by Gateshead keeper Adam Bartlett.

Town pressed for a late winner and their hosts also had opportunities to settle the game within the 90 minutes but neither side could force a decider, meaning an extra half-hour was needed.

But as a penalty shoot-out appeared to be looming, substitute Jon Shaw headed the goal that sent the Mariners crashing out of the competition.

Town made four changes from the side that beat Barnet on Saturday, with Paul Walker, Craig Clay, McLaughlin and Jon-Paul Pittman all brought into the starting XI.

They replaced Daniel Parslow, Mackreth, Scott Brown and Lenell John-Lewis.

James McKeown started in goal, with Walker, Toto Nsiala, Shaun Pearson and Carl Magnay forming the defence.

McLaughlin, Clay and Craig Disley made up a three-man midfield, with Nathan Arnold playing behind strikers Pittman and Oliver Palmer.

Ross Hannah joined Brown, Mackreth, Parslow and John-Lewis on the Grimsby bench.

Gateshead had the first chance of the game on eight minutes, when Matty Pattison scooped a shot harmlessly over McKeown’s bar.

Pattison had another opportunity after good work by John Oster but after the former Town man’s cross was headed on, the striker could not connect with the ball.

A third opportunity for Pattison came on 12 minutes as the hosts continued to make the early running but this time, he hit the side netting.

Nsiala blocked a cross from Chandler as Gateshead attacked again, with the ball going out for a throw-in.

Another chance for Pattison came just before the 20-minute mark but again, he failed to connect with a shot after getting the ball from Rob Ranshaw.


Town began to come in the game and saw more of the ball but were yet to trouble home keeper Bartlett after 25 minutes.

Gateshead had shown the greater threat and they took the lead on 27 minutes, with CHANDLER finding the net after a shot by Pattison was blocked.

Pearson conceded a corner on the half-hour but the home side were unable to cause any serious problems for the Town defence from it.

Grimsby’s first corner came soon afterwards after a free kick into the box was cleared.  McLaughlin’s kick came back to him but his second cross was cleared by Curtis.

The Mariners had done little to worry Bartlett in the Gateshead goal but they found an equaliser with their first shot on target on 34 minutes.  A good passing move eventually saw he ball worked to McLAUGHLIN and he smashed a left-footed shot from distance that flew past the keeper and went in off the underside of the bar.

Another shot by McLaughlin was deflected behind for a corner three minutes later but the goalscorer’s delivery was cleared.

Town won a free kick in a good position with four minutes to play before half-time.  Arnold sent the ball towards the far post but could not pick out a team-mate.

Magnay had to put a Gateshead cross out for a corner on 43 minutes, which led to a header from Ben Clark taking a deflection off a Town player for another corner.  This time, the Mariners were able to get the ball away.

One additional minute was signalled to be played before the interval and with no further chances created by either side, the scored remained level as the teams headed for the dressing rooms.

Gateshead were the first to threaten in the second half and McKeown was called into action in the first minute to push a shot from Andrai Jones out of play for a corner.

Town’s first opportunity after the break came from a McLaughlin corner, which was headed down at the far post by Pearson, although it was eventually cleared for another corner.

Nsiala was the next to go close for Grimsby but the defender saw his header saved after a free kick had been swung in by McLaughlin.

And McLaughlin himself had a chance to put the visitors ahead when the ball was pulled back to him by Arnold but his shot was weak and keeper Bartlett made a comfortable save.

McKeown had to make a good save from Oster as the ex-Grimsby favourite tried a shot from outside the box.

Town made the first substitution on 63 minutes, with Mackreth replacing Pittman.

Oster was involved again soon afterwards, creating the home side’s next chance by playing the ball through for Chandler.  McKeown was up to the test though, blocking Chandler’s shot for a corner.

Gateshead reclaimed their lead on 71 minutes, when a cross from the left eventually fell for CURTIS and he bobbled a shot beyond McKeown to make it 2-1.

Grimsby’s response saw them win a free kick for a foul on Mackreth just outside the hosts’ penalty area.  McLaughlin took it but the set-piece did not lead to a goalscoring opportunity.

Town boss Paul Hurst opted to change his strike force with 13 minutes to go in a bid to get back into the game, with Hannah and John-Lewis coming on for Palmer and Clay.

John-Lewis’ first action of note was to turn and hit a shot that was blocked by Clark for a corner, which was headed clear.

A Gateshead corner on 81 minutes saw Pattison look to work some space before Oster had a shot blocked.

Town were handed a corner four minutes later when Bartlett misjudged a cross and had to tip the ball over his bar.  McLaughlin’s kick was eventually sent out of play for a throw-in.

The Mariners were still looking for a way back into the game and Arnold set off on a run into the penalty area but could not get a shot away and Gateshead brought the ball clear.

Town were not to be denied though and with two minutes to go, a cross from Mackreth led to a mistake from BARTLETT, who dropped the ball over the line for an own-goal.

Grimsby were now the side looking to win the game in the dying minutes of the game and after two additional minutes were signalled, Mackreth got the ball into the box and after his shot was not held by Bartlett, John-Lewis’ follow-up was blocked by the keeper and another effort by Mackreth was cleared.

John-Lewis went down injured in the scramble and after a delay of several minutes while the striker received treatment, the stretcher which was brought on turned out not to be needed as he was able to walk off the pitch, although not fit to continue.

The game continued and Gateshead won a corner, which was cleared and Hannah had a shot at the other end after Town broke.

Another chance to win the game without the need for extra time fell to the home side’s Chandler but he could only shoot wide of the mark from inside the box.

One last opportunity came through Pattison but as his shot looked to be goal-bound, McKeown extended an arm to claw it around the post to keep Town in the competition and set up the additional half-hour.

McKeown again saved from Pattison as Gateshead created the first chance of the extra time.

Jon Shaw came on for Ranshaw, before Hannah sent a powerful left-footed shot just wide of Bartlett’s goal from outside the box.

Carl Finnigan was sent on as home boss Gary Mills made his second change with five minutes of the first period to go, with Clark making way.

Oster sent a shot just past the post as Gateshead did the attacking, with the ten men of Town getting behind the ball and looking to absorb the pressure.

One added minute was played before the teams turned around, with Oster still pulling the strings for the hosts.

Michael Rankine was introduced up front two minutes into the second period as Gateshead made their third and final substitution, with Chandler the man to come off.

And five minutes later, the hosts were back in front when SHAW rose highest to meet a cross and head past McKeown to make it 3-2.

Mackreth was shown the first yellow card of the game soon afterwards for a foul on Jones.

The Mariners were unable to force their way back into the contest for a third time and the hosts were left to look forward to a trip to Wrexham in the third round at the weekend.

Town’s focus now returns to league action and an away game against Nuneaton Town on Saturday.


Catch the highlights on Mariners Player.

Advertisement block