Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Grimsby Town 7 FC Halifax Town 0

13 October 2015

Grimsby Town 7 FC Halifax Town 0

GRIMSBY Town turned on the style to record a big win against FC Halifax Town at Blundell Park.

The Mariners ran riot against a poor Halifax side, scoring seven goals to make it 10 games without defeat.

Omar Bogle opened the scoring on 10 minutes, before the recalled Padraig Amond doubled the home advantage shortly after the half-hour.

Both were on the scoresheet again as Town made it 4-0 before half-time and Craig Clay added a fifth 10 minutes after the break.

Amond completed his hat-trick with Grimsby’s sixth goal and the Irishman was not finished there, as his fourth of the game made it 7-0.

Four changes were made to the Town side that started the goalless draw at Braintree on Saturday.

Josh Gowling and Gregor Robertson were both out after picking up injuries in Essex and they were replaced by Richard Tait and Toto Nsiala.

The other alterations saw new loan signing Connor Townsend make a second Grimsby debut after impressing in a previous temporary spell from Hull City.  He came in for Danny East, while Amond was restored to the starting XI in place of Ben Tomlinson in attack.

James McKeown started in goal, with Tait, Nsiala, Shaun Pearson and Townsend forming the defence.

Nathan Arnold, Craig Disley, Clay and Andy Moinkhouse were the midfielders, with Bogle starting alongside Amond up front.

Joining East and Tomlinson on the bench were Scott Brown, Jack Mackreth and Marcus Marshall.

Halifax arrived in Cleethorpes looking to change a poor run of recent results which had seen them drop to second from bottom of the National League table.

The West Yorkshire side had lost 10 out of 16 games so far this season and were desperate for a positive result.

Town began brightly, with the majority of the opening five minutes played in the Halifax half until midfielder Kingsley James made some ground down the left but sent his cross out for a goal kick.

The Mariners took the lead with their first real chance of the game on 10 minutes.  A deep cross from Tait was retrieved by Amond at the far post and after Monkhouse took the ball on, he looked up and squared for BOGLE to tap into the net from close range.

Halifax were yet to get into the game as Town dominated possession and the hosts were given a free kick for a foul on Townsend on 14 minutes.  Arnold’s ball to the edge of the box from it was cleared by defender Matthew Brown.

Another possession move from Town a minute later led to Clay trying a low shot from 25 yards but after it was blocked, the offside flag went up against Amond.

Monkhouse went down with what looked like a shoulder or collarbone after winning a throw-in on the left but was initially passed fit to play on after receiving treatment from physio Dave Moore.  He could not continue for long though and was replaced by Marshall on 22 minutes.

Another chance came when Tait crossed from the right two minutes later but Bogle could not convert it, heading wide of keeper Matt Glennon’s goal.

Clay found Amond with a good ball down the left on 28 minutes and the striker took it into the box before looking for Bogle, although Glennon got to his cross first.

Halifax had not managed to create any danger for the Town defence as the half-hour mark approached, although they were given an opportunity to attack when Nsiala gave the ball away on halfway.  It came to nothing though, as James eventually fired a long-range shot harmlessly over the bar.

At the other end, Bogle turned and let fly with his left foot but the effort went wide of the near post and the hosts’ lead remained at one goal.

A moment of danger for the home side came after Bogle gave possession away on 32 minutes and Halifax worked it to Kieran Sadlier, who curled a shot just wide of McKeown’s far post.

Grimsby’s next chance came soon afterwards and again, it was through a cross from the right.  This time, Amond met the ball but his overhead kick bounced just wide.

The Mariners did not have to wait for much longer before they doubled their advantage, as they scored with their next opportunity.  Arnold’s cross from the right was headed against the post by Bogle and AMOND was in the right place to squeeze home the rebound from a narrow angle, also off the upright.

The game briefly stopped for Halifax’s Julian Barton to receive treatment on an injury before being passed fit to continue.

An away corner soon afterwards caused no problems for the Grimsby defence, before more Mariners pressure eventually led to a third goal on 42 minutes.  BOGLE was the man on-target for his second of the night, turning on the edge of the box and firing a low, left-footed shot past Glennon.

Town went looking for a fourth goal before the break and the keeper did well to get to a cross from Disley before Marshall could nod it into the net.

A rare opportunity for the visitors to attack came with a free kick on the right but Sadlier’s delivery was comfortably headed clear on the edge of the penalty area.

Three added minutes were signalled by the fourth official and there was time for the Mariners to extend their lead even further before the interval.  Townsend and Marshall combined down the left and the winger then found AMOND, who hit an instinctive shot into the roof of the net for 4-0.

That meant the hosts were well in control at the halfway point, with the result beyond doubt and the second half seemingly being just a matter of how many goals Town would score.

Josh McDonald replaced Shaun Tuton for the visitors before the restart and Town had the first opportunity to attack after Clay was fouled by Brown, who was shown the first yellow card of the game.

Townsend’s free kick was headed clear but the Mariners retained possession and built up another attack, which led to Marshall jinking his way into the box but sending over a cross that was too high.

Bogle found Amond with a cross-field pass on 50 minutes but his shot was blocked, before Halifax cleared their lines for a throw-in.

Marshall won a corner on the right three minutes later but Arnold’s delivery was flicked away from danger by Glennon.

Townsend was caught with a trip to the left of the box soon afterwards and after James Bolton was booked, Arnold’s resulting free kick was half-cleared to Bogle, who sent an overhead kick wide.

The fifth goal was not long in coming though, as another attack down the right led to Bogle getting the ball on the edge of the box.  He looked up and unselfishly played it to CLAY, who stroked it into the net from 18 yards.

James fired a shot high and wide at the end of a rare Halifax attack, before Arnold went close at the other end after more good work by Bogle.

Brown came off the bench for his first appearance of the season after injury on 63 minutes, replacing Disley in the centre of midfield.

An Arnold corner two minutes later was cleared as far as Brown, who had a shot blocked from 25 yards.

Arnold and Townsend then combined down the left but the cross was dealt with as the ball was headed back to keeper Glennon.

A foul by Nsiala gave Halifax a free kick near the halfway line and after the ball was initially played back, a through-ball for Chris Hamilton came to nothing as he failed to get past Bogle.

The third and final Grimsby substitution saw Tomlinson sent on in place of Bogle with 20 minutes to go.

James was booked for a foul on Marshall inside the Town half soon afterwards, before a Halifax attack through Jordan Burrows led to a corner, which saw a shot from Nicky Wroe deflected narrowly wide.

Town made no mistake with their next attack, grabbing a sixth goal.  A ball through the middle by Tait bounced over a defender and AMOND pounced, steering a shot past Glennon to complete his hat-trick.

A foul by Brown gave the visitors a free kick in a central position, 30 yards from goal, on 79 minutes.  Sadlier stepped up to take it but his shot was gathered by McKeown.

The scoring was not yet complete, as Town registered a seventh on 84 minutes.  A clever chip from Brown found AMOND and he did the rest, lifting the ball over Glennon and into the net.

Town still looked for more goals and they almost made it eight when Tait crashed a shot off the near post a minute later.

Arnold shot over the bar after a pass from Tomlinson as the hosts continued to attack and they were given an additional two minutes to further add to their score.

At the other end, they were determined to keep a clean sheet and a good sliding tackle by Nsiala prevented James from making progress down the left.

That proved to be the last action of note, leaving the Mariners and their fans to acclaim a great win and a clinical performance.

The Mariners are next in action when they make the long trip to face Torquay United on Saturday.

Advertisement block