Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT: Wycombe 2-1 Grimsby Town

13 August 2016

AN injury time goal from Anthony Stewart sent Grimsby Town to their first league defeat of the season, after Andrew Boyce's first for the club cancelled out Sido Jombati's opener at Adams Park.

Mariners' boss Paul Hurst recalled Josh Gowling to his starting XI, after the former Kidderminster man was suspended for the midweek League Cup tie at Derby County.

Also coming back into the side were strike duo Kayden Jackson and Scott Vernon, with Omar Bogle dropping back down to the bench. 

The home side started on the front foot, Aaron Pierre flashing a header just wide from a corner and then James McKeown saving Joe Jacobson's free kick.

But it was the Mariners who forged the best opening of the first period when Luke Summerfield dropped a looping header onto the roof of the net from Ben Davies' corner.

Former Mariner Dayle Southwell twice let chances slip in front of goal, whilst McKeown was alert to thwart the dangerous Garry Thompson on more than one occasion. 

The second half was a much more lively affair and, within two minutes of the restart, another Summerfield header caused problems - home stopper Cameron Dawson pulling off the save.

On 50 minutes the home side had a good chance to take the lead when Thompson got free with just McKeown to beat but he pulled his volley wide of the mark.

But three minutes later the hosts did open the scoring. Summerfield was penalised for a foul on Jacobson on the edge of the area and right-back Sido Jombati stepped up to curl home the resulting free kick.

Town responded well with Tom Bolarinwa, Vernon and James Berrett all firing over from the edge of the box as the game passed the hour mark.

Dawson was then at his best to turn away Gowling's header from another Davies corner.

Midway through the second period the home stopper was in top form to first deny Berrett and then Jackson as the Mariners piled on the pressure.

Omar Bogle was then introduced for Vernon and his first action was to release Bolarinwa but the winger sent his effort the wrong side of the post when well placed.

Town's equaliser finally came on 79 minutes after a frenetic period of pressure. Bogle was the first to see an effort blocked in the box, before Jackson was denied. The ball fell for another Mariners' sub, Ashley Chambers, and his shot was deflected over for a corner.

From the set piece, Danny Andrew kept the ball moving and his cross found Boyce who turned and toe-poked home from inside the area.

But that was enough to spur Wanderers back into life and McKeown had to be at his best to deny Thompson once more.

It seemed like the game was destined for a draw but, in the first minute of injury time, centre back Stewart pounced.

A long throw by Thompson was flicked on by substitute Adebayo Akinfenwa and his header hit both posts, presenting Stewart with the simplest task of tapping home on the goal-line.

The Mariners had one last chance to draw level for a second time, which fell to Chambers, but his shot was well gathered by Dawson. 

CHAIRBOYS | Dawson; Jombati, Stewart, Pierre, Jacobson; Harriman, Bloomfield (Freeman), McGinn (Rowe), Wood; Thompson, Southwell (Akinfenwa). SUBS NOT USED | Richardson, Been, Havilland

MARINERS | McKeown; Davies, Boyce, Gowling, Andrew; Berrett, Summerfield, McAllister (Chambers), Bolarinwa (Browne); Jackson, Vernon (Bogle). SUBS NOT USED | Pearson, Vose, Jones, Warrington.

We are next in action on Tuesday night when we travel to Colchester United (7.45PM)


Advertisement block