Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Welling United 0-4 Grimsby Town

9 January 2016

A SUPERB hat-trick from top scorer Padraig Amond and a further strike from Craig Disley sent Grimsby Town to an excellent 4-0 away win at Welling United, in front of a mammoth travelling contingent.

Over 800 Town fans made up the crowd of 1,337 at Park View Road and they went away elated after four second-half goals and a comprehensive performance from Paul Hurst’s men.

The Mariners’ boss named an unchanged side from the one that drew 1-1 at home to Guiseley last weekend, meaning James McKeown started in goal behind a back four of Richard Tait, Toto Nsiala, Josh Gowling and Gregor Robertson.

Nathan Arnold and Andy Monkhouse lined up on the wings with Craig Clay partnering Disley in the centre. The front duo were Amond and Omar Bogle.

Conor Henderson was named on the bench following his permanent switch from Crawley Town, alongside Shaun Pearson, Marcus Marshall, Jon-Paul Pittman and Danny East.

The Mariners settled quickly with both Monkhouse and Arnold proving threats out wide inside the first ten minutes.

Amond and Bogle then combined well with the latter seeing a shot charged down from inside the area.

It took until 27 minutes for the visitors to register their first effort on target, Disley’s long-range effort being well gathered by Australian stopper Michael McEntegart.

But as the game moved towards the half-hour mark, the promotion-chasing Mariners started to show their superiority.

McEntegart was in top form to deny Bogle after the striker had been slipped through by Craig Clay; the midfielder winning the ball in midfield with a crunching challenge.

Amond then had a couple of sighters, firing wide from a narrow angle on 39 minutes, before the Wings’ custodian was on hand to beat away a volley.

The home side were offering little and, when they did work an opening, midfielder Ricky Wellard opted to loft in a well-placed free kick, which was easy for McKeown.

And it was Town who had the last action of the half, Monkhouse powering an effort from distance that was again gathered by McEntegart.

The Wings’ goalkeeper was again called into action at the start of the second half, getting down low to keep out Arnold’s stopping header, before getting behind a well-struck Bogle free kick.

Town’s pressure was beginning to mount and they finally got the breakthrough they deserved on 63 minutes. 

A corner was cleared as far as Tait and his deep cross was met by a looping header from Amond, which nestled in the back of the net.

Just six minutes later, the Irishman added his and Town’s second. Monkhouse kept the ball in on the byline, clipped a ball to the far post for Disley to knockdown and Amond was on hand to hammer home from inside the area.
There was a scare 60 seconds later for Town when a cross hit the post and Sam Corne lofted the rebound over from six yards.

Hurst made his first change on 72 minutes with East replacing Arnold on the wing and the points were secured five minutes later when Amond completed his hat-trick.

Monkhouse lofted another ball into the box for Town’s top scorer to meet with his head and loop it beyond McEntegart for 3-0.

Pittman replaced the hat-trick hero on 80 minutes and, within a minute, the Mariners had their fourth.

East saw a shot blocked but his team-mates were queuing up and it was left to Disley to rifle home to add an emphatic slant to the scoreline.

Henderson came on for the final five minutes plus injury time as Town stretched their unbeaten league run to eight matches.

Highlights on Mariners PlayerHD tomorrow.  

Advertisement block