Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Boston United 1 - 1 Grimsby Town

19 July 2016

Vose strike earns Mariners a draw at Boston

A SECOND half strike from on-loan attacker Dominic Vose earned the Mariners a draw in a spirited affair at Boston United.

The hosts had took the lead early on when Liam Adams cracked home an effort from long-range, although the Mariners were unfortunate to see Tom Bolarinwa strike the woodwork in both halves.
Paul Hurst’s men lined up in their customary 4-2-3-1 formation with James McKeown making a return to his old club between the sticks, behind a back four of Ben Davies, Andrew Boyce, Danny Andrew (at centre half) and Dan Jones.

Craig Disley and James Berrett took up the positions in front of the back four with Tom Bolarinwa, Dominic Vose and Ashley Chambers behind lone frontman Omar Bogle.

The hosts had the first effort of the game on five minutes when Lewis Hilliard stole in on the left-side of the area but McKeown was down smartly to save.

Town’s first chance came on 12 minutes when Bolarinwa won the ball in midfield, advanced down the right channel and forced Dibble into a save with his feet.

But it was the home side who took the lead on the quarter-hour. Adams found space in midfield and cracked home a fantastic effort from distance.

Adams tested McKeown again on 27 minutes but the Town stopper pulled off a flying one-handed save, before the best move of the half saw the Mariners hit the bar.

Bolarinwa played a neat one-two with Bogle on the edge of the box but saw his curling left-footed effort from 18 yards striker the top of the crossbar.

The former Sutton man was causing all sorts of problems with his pace and trickery on the right but the Mariners almost profited on the other wing shortly before half-time.

Vose used power and strength to beat two men and his pull back was perfect for Disley, who had two bites at the cherry, but saw his first effort blocked and his second one roll agonisingly wide of the far post.

The hosts went into the break in front and the Mariners responded by bringing another ex-Bostonian, Shaun Pearson, on for Jones at the break. The big defender slotting in at centre half with Andrew moving to his more customary left-back position.

In contrast, the home side made four changes with the quartet of Lamin Colley, Josh Green, Callum Chippendale and Jason St Juste replacing Waide Fairhurst, Hilliard, Malachi Lavelle-Moore and ex-Mariner Marcus Marshall.

Town forged the first real opening of the second period on 50 minutes when Bolarinwa and Bogle again played a clever one-two, the former bursting into the box, only to see Dibble turn away the shot with his feet.

From that set piece, the pacy winger kept the ball moving and saw a thunderbolt of a strike come off the outside of the upright from 15 yards, with Dibble well beaten.
The home side broke from the goal kick and only a last-ditch challenge from Pearson prevented Colley from having a clear sight of goal.

Davies and Chambers both whipped in balls from out wide that were inches away from Bolarinwa and then, as the game passed the hour mark, Vose saw a long-range effort tipped over by the Pilgrims’ stopper.

The goal was coming and it arrived on 63 minutes. Bolarinwa turned provider, teeing up Vose, who made space excellently, took his time and picked his spot low to the left corner from 18 yards.
Former Wrexham man Vose then tried his luck again from distance, Pepe-Ngoma taking a painful whack in blocking the ball. Pearson then doing likewise on the edge of the Town box after charging down Kalern Thomas’ cross.

Hurst brought Luke Summerfield and Sean McAllister on for Bogle and Disley, which saw Chambers move up top and Berrett push forward into the attacking trio behind the striker.
And it was Summerfield who almost made an instant impact, flashing a header wide from a right wing Vose corner.

The impressive Dibble departed for Michael Emery as the hosts made a change in goal for the final 15 minutes and they almost got the second when pinball ensued in the Town box at a corner, Pearson doing well to block an effort before McKeown claimed Joe Maguire’s acrobatic effort in midair.

Town pushed for a winner themselves and the closest they came was nine minutes from time when Chambers cut in from the left and curled an effort just over from 20 yards.

Pilgrims: Dibble (Emery); Thomas, Maguire, Pepe-Ngoma, Wildin; Adams, Roberts, Hilliard (St Juste), Marshall (Green); Fairhurst (Colley), Lavelle-Moore (Chippendale).

Mariners: McKeown; Davies, Boyce, Andrew, Jones (Pearson); Berrett, Disley (McAllister); Bolarinwa, Vose, Chambers; Bogle (Summerfield). 

Subs not used: Gowling, Warrington.

Next up for Town is Sheffield United at Blundell Park on Saturday.

Advertisement block