Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT: Cleethorpes Town 0- 3 Grimsby Town

6 July 2016

GRIMSBY Town’s pre-season programme began with a win against Cleethorpes Town at the Linden Homes Club.

The teams were led out by Grimsby Town fan Graham Holness, who is set to got into hospital soon for cancer treatment. 

After a goalless first half, the Mariners found the net three times after the break, with James Berrett, Max Wright and Luke Summerfield all getting on the scoresheet.

Town started with James McKeown in goal, behind a defence of Ben Davies, Cameron Hough, Josh Gowling and Danny Andrew.

Harry Clifton, Craig Disley, Sean McAllister and Rhys Browne were the midfielders, with Omar Bogle supported by Dominic Vose in attack.

Browne had the first shot of the game after Disley had been fouled and the resulting free kick was played short to the winger, who fired just over the bar.

Disley also missed the target after a cross from the right had found its way to him at the far post, before Browne curled a low effort wide of the far post after cutting in from the left.

Clifton hit a low shot wide on 16 minutes, then Vose saw an effort pushed away for a corner four minutes later, which led to Gowling heading wide.

Davies saw a drive from distance tipped over the bar, before Cleethorpes had a chance of their own just before half-time with a free kick on the edge of the Town box.  McKeown was not tested though, as the shot from it cleared the bar.

An almost completely different Grimsby XI came out for the second half, with only McKeown remaining of those who had started the game and the remainder of manager Paul Hurst’s 12 summer signings all getting on the pitch.

Dan Jones, Shaun Pearson, Andrew Boyce and Zac Mills now formed the defence, with Josh Venney, Summerfield, Wright, Berrett, Tom Bolarinwa and Ashley Chambers also introduced to the action.
The breakthrough came within six minutes of the restart, when a flowing move involving Summerfield and Chambers led to BERRETT finishing well from eight yards.

Town were looking sharp and their next chance fell to Bolarinwa, whose pace and skill got him into the penalty area.  He could not find a finish though, sending a fierce drive just over the bar.
Berrett then beat the offside trap on the hour and crossed for Venney, who volleyed wide.

But the second goal was not long in coming, as WRIGHT picked the ball up and found the top corner via a deflection from 25 yards to put the result beyond doubt.

And a minute later, it was 3-0 when SUMMERFIELD ran onto the ball after good play by Chambers and coolly slotted it into the bottom corner of the net from inside the box.

Town had chances to add to their score through Chambers and Bolarinwa but they were unable to take them and instead, had to settle for three goals in what was a positive opening to their preparations for their Football League return.

The Mariners are next in action on Saturday, when they travel to Sheffield FC.

Advertisement block