Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Barnet 3-1 Grimsby Town

29 April 2017

The Mariachi Band and a travelling army of 1200 Town fans couldn't inspire the Mariners in the capital this afternoon. Two first half goals and and early second half strike by the hosts effectively secured the three points for them. But the visitors were given a glimmer of hope when Craig Disley tapped home on 74 minutes. 

Town boss Russell Slade was forced into making to changes for the trip to the capital. Zak Mills and James Berrett were the two that missed out. 

The Mariners started with a back four of Shaun Pearson, Ben Davies, Danny Collins and Danny Andrew. The midfield four were Chris Clements, Craig Disley, Jamey Osborne and Brandon Comley. Sam Jones and Scott Vernon were the preferred strike partnership.  

The Mariners never really got going in the first half and fell behind to a 21st minute John Akinde goal. There looked to be no danger when a ball came into the Town box, but unfortunately the ball eluded the Town defenders and fell to Barnet's top scorer who looped his header over the advanced James McKeown. 

Up to that point it had been a fairly even game, with neither side creating any clear-cut chances. But the goal seemed to encourage the Bees and McKeown had to make a good save from Akinola, and a cross-shot from Campbell-Ryce hit the Town crossbar.

And then five minutes before the interval, a nice piece of football by Barnet, a neat one-two, and then a fine volleyed finish by Tutonda doubled the Bee's advantage.

The Mexicans have arrived in the @BarnetFC bar. 🇲🇽#GTFC pics

— Grimsby Town FC (@officialgtfc) April 29, 2017
Half-Time: Barnet 2-0 Grimsby Town

Russell Slade decided to ring the changes at the break, with Andrew Boyce and Calum Dyson replacing Shaun Pearson and Jamie Osborne. 

It was just seven minutes into the second half when Barnet got their third. A free-kick managed to find its way across the Town goal and was met by the unmarked Curtis Weston to seal a comfortable three points for the Hive side.

Even when Craig Disley pulled one back from a corner on 74 minutes, there still didn't look any way back for the Mariners as they rarely troubled Barnet. In the end Barnet held on well to record only their sixth victory at The Hive this season.

In summary, it was a deserved win for the Bees and again shows the Mariners' inconsistencies.

Town wrap up the 2016/17 Season next Saturday when Plymouth are the visitors to Blundell Park. 
Barnet: 12. Vickers 6. Nelson (c) 8. Weston 9. Akinde 13. Campbell-Royce 14. Akinola (Champion 76) 16. H Taylor 27. Fonguck (Coulson 67) 28. J Taylor 40. Tutonda (Johnson 83) 41. Clough 

Subs: 3. Johnson 11. Bover 17. Coulson 20. Champion 25. Shomotun 31. McKenzie-Lyle 44. Smith

Grimsby Town: 1. Mckeown 2. Davies 3. Andrew 5. Pearson (Boyce 45) 8. Disley (c) 21. Vernon (Bolarinwa 76) 22. Collins 26. Comley 31. Clement 32. Osborne (Dyson 45) 35. S Jones 

Subs: 4. McAllister 10. Vose 18. Bolarinwa 20. Boyce 23. D Jones 27. Yussuf 29. Dyson

Referee: Sebastian Stockbridge

Scorers: Akinde (21) Tutonda (40) Weston (53) Disley (74)

Attendance: 3247 (1201)

Yellow Cards: Clement (52) Disley (71) Bolarinwa (90)

Red Cards:  

Let's create a party atmosphere for the final day of the season. Order your tickets online NOW.

— Grimsby Town FC (@officialgtfc) April 27, 2017

Advertisement block