Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Game Abandoned

8 August 2017


Derby Reaction

8 August 2017

GRIMSBY Town's Carabao Cup first round tie with Derby County was abandoned after 19 minutes after heavy rain made the Blundell Park pitch unplayable.

After heavy rain hit Cleethorpes throughout the early evening, the match started and Derby took a sixth minute lead through captain Richard Keogh.

But with conditions worsening and players slipping in the puddles, the teams were taken off the field and after a brief delay, it was announced that the game would not be continuing.

Three changes were made to the Town side by manager Russell Slade following the fantastic away victory at Chesterfield on Saturday.

Ben Davies replaced the suspended Zak Mills, while Tom Bolarinwa and Luke Summerfield also came into the XI as Sam Kelly and Mitch Rose missed out.

James McKeown started in goal, with Davies, Nathan Clarke, Danny Collins and Paul Dixon in defence.

Bolarinwa, James Berrett, Summerfield and Siriki Dembele formed the midfield, with Sam Jones and Scott Vernon in attack.

Rose was named among the substitutes, along with Ben Killip, Harry Cardwell, Karleigh Osborne, Chris Clements, Tom Sawyer and Jack Keeble.

Derby's side included Scotland international Ikechi Anya and experienced striker David Nugent.

The game kicked off despite the heavy rain and Town had an early chance to threaten with a free kick 30 yards out, although Davies' shot was blocked by the visitors' wall.

At the other end, Anya gave an early indication of his threat when he beat Davies down the left and cut inside before sending over a low cross which was put out for a corner by McKeown.

Another Derby corne came soon afterwards and this time, they made it count to open the scoring.  The ball was played to the near post and captain KEOGH headed it into the net.

It could have been 2-0 a minute later when a loose ball by Berrett let Jonny Russell in but his low drive was blocked for a corner by the Town keeper.

The home side's response saw a good build-up rewarded with a coner on the right, although it was cleared by defender Alex Pearce.

A foul on Davies near the corner flag then gave the Mariners a free kick but after the ball from it was cleared to Berrett just inside the penalty area, he could only chip it over the bar.

A cross from Bolarinwa was half-cleared before Jones battled well to work the space for a shot which went wide of the target.

With conditions worsening and players slipping in the wet conitions, referee Trevor Kettle briefly stopped the game and came over to the dugouts to speak to both managers.

Initially, the game continued but soon afterwards, with 19 minutes on the clock, Mr Kettle blew his whistle again and this time, the players were taken from the pitch.

An announcement was made that the game had been temporarily suspended and soon afterwards, another one came that the match had been abandoned.

Town are next in action on Saturday, when Coventry City are the visitors to Blundell Park.


Advertisement block