Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Grimsby Town 0-1 Derby County

Town knocked out of the Carabao Cup with a narrow defeat by the Championship side

22 August 2017

Grimsby Town were knocked out of the Carabao Cup as Derby County won the rearranged first round tie at Blundell Park.

The game went ahead after being abandoned with just 19 minutes on the clock because of heavy rain at the first time of asking on August 8.

And one goal, scored by Matej Vydra from the penalty spot, proved enough for the Championship club to book a second round tie away to Barnsley.

Town kept up an unwanted record of finishing every game so far this season with 10 men when Ben Davies was dismissed for two bookable offences.

And despite a display full of effort, the Mariners were ultimately unable to find a way back into the game after falling behind as Derby's quality told.

Three changes were made to the Town side that lost at Stevenage on Saturday, with Davies, Tom Bolarinwa and James Berrett the ones to come in.

Berrett returned from suspension as Sam Jones began a ban of his own, while Zak Mills and Luke Summerfield both dropped to the bench.

James McKeown started in goal, with Davies, Nathan Clarke, Danny Collins and Paul Dixon forming the defence.

Berrett sat behind a midfield of Bolarinwa, Mitch Rose, Sam Kelly and Siriki Dembele, with the attack led by JJ Hooper.

Mills and Summerfield were joined as substitutes by Ben Killip, Harry Cardwell, Karleigh Osborne, Harry Clifton and Diallang Jaiyesimi.

Derby made 10 changes after their weekend fixture but still named a strong side including Scotland international striker Chris Martin, while the likes of David Nugent and Ikechi Anya were kept in reserve on the bench.

Visiting keeper Jonathan Mitchell's first task was to come off his line to beat Dembele to a through-ball from Hooper on five minutes after a low-key opening to the game.

A Dixon cross from the left was cleared as Town did most of the early attacking, before Derby's first chance saw left-back Craig Forsyth fire over the bar afer the ball had been played to him by Tom Lawrence.

Martin chipped a cross to Vydra for the visitors but he was unable to make it count, before a weak shot by Kelly at the other end rolled through to Mitchell.

The away side were now looking more purposeful but were still yet to seriously threaten McKeown's goal, with midfielder Craig Bryson firing a volley into the Pontoon Stand from 25 yards on 19 minutes.

Soon afterwards, a burst from Dembele took him towards the penalty area and he then found Hooper, although the striker could not pick out a team-mate or win a corner when he looked to pull the ball back.

Berrett set off on a run through the middle on 23 minutes but when he let fly from 25 yards, Mitchell remained untroubled as the ball went well off-target.

A free kick for a foul on Rose near the halfway lin gave the Mariners another opportunity to attack but after Davies' ball was won in the air by Clarke on the edge of the box, it did not drop for a man in black and white.

Martin sent a 20-yard effort over the bar after Derby had attacked at pace when referee Trevor Kettle allowed an advantage following a foul by Berrett, who was then shown the first yellow card of the evening.

Davies did well to get down the right and win a corner on the half-hour and it eventually led to another one after the ball had been played to Dembele.  This time, Jacob Butterfield comfortably cleared after Kelly's ball to the near post.

A foul by Alex Pearce on Hooper brought another Town free kick on halfway but it did not lead to a chance as Hooper was caught offside.

A yellow card was shown to Forsyth for a foul on Davies but the resulting free kick was brought clear by Derby, who attacked at pace until Mason Bennett was stopped at the expense of a throw-in.

Dixon fired over the bar after a moment of magic from Dembele took him past several defenders on 41 minutes, withthe winger proviing much of the quality on how fom the Mariners so far.

A foul on Bolarinwa brought a Town free kick on the left but Berrett's delivery succeeded only in finding the arms of keeper Mitchell.

Bolarinwa then did well to cut into the box from the left and work an opening for a shot, before hitting a weak effort that was comfortable for Mitchell.

One added minute was signalled to be played at the end of the half an with no futher opportunities created, it remained goalless at the interval.

No substitutions were made before the restart and Town had an opportunity to create some danger with an early free kick after Bolarinwa was dragged down by Vydra, who was booked.  Davies whipped the ball into the box but Collins headed it over the bar.

Craig Bryson escaped a booking for a foul on Bolarinwa soon afterwards that proved to be the signal for a spell of Mariners pressure.  Another free kick in a dangerous position came on 50 minutes but this time, the ball from Davies was headed away.

A foul by Clarke gave Derby a free kick of their own in a promising position, 30 yards from goal, although Lawrence coul only fire it into the Town wall.

Not long afterwards though, the visitors were gifted the chance to open the scoring when Vydra was pulled back by Clarke inside the box and the referee pointed to the spot.  VYDRA got up to slot past McKeown from 12 yards and make it 1-0.

Dixon was booked for a foul which brought about another Derby free kick in a central position, 25 yards out, on 55 minutes.  This time, it was Martin who shot from it but the ball went just past the post.

A low cross from the left was cut out for a Derby corner by Rose two minutes later and the ball from the flag by Lawrence was headed back to him but his follow-up cross had too much power on it and went out for a goal kick.

Soon afterwards, it should have been 2-0 to the Championship side after a slick build-up led to Martin pulling the ball back for the unmarked Lawrence but he could not get a good enough connection to apply the finish from 10 yards.

A brighter moment for the Mariners came when the ball was played to Dembele on the edge of the box an he advanced before hitting a powerful shot that was beaten away by keeper Mitchell.

Town, yet again, had to finish the game with only 10 men as this time, Davies, who had been booked earlier, saw red on picking up a second yellow card for a foul near the halfway line just after the hour.

Boss Russell Slade responded by making his first substitutions of the night, with Mills coming on in place of Kelly and Cardwell replacing Hooper.

Derby manager Gary Rowett then made a change of his own, sending Anya on for goalscorer Vydra.

Lawrence made his way into the Town penalty area as the away side attacked again on 68 minutes but his low cross was blocked by McKeown.

Bryson became the latest name to go into the referee's notebook for a cynical foul soon afterwards.

Another free kick for the Mariners came on 70 minutes on the left but Berrett's ball from it was headed clear.

Kellan Gordon came on for Bennett in the away side's second substitution, made with 15 minutes left to play.

Jaiyesimi replaced Dembele for Town with 10 minutes to go, with Derby also completing their changes as Timi Elsnik came on for Lawrence.

A free kick was driven into the box by Mills from the right three minutes later but after it bounced around, nobody could send it towards goal and Derby cleared.

Bolarinwa hit a shot on the turn which flew well over the bar as the Mariners looked to haul themselvees back into the game with the clock ticking down.

Five added minutes were signalled to be played at the end of the game, with the hosts still looking for the equalising goal which would sen the tie to extra time.

They had an opportunity to put pressure on the Derby goal with a free kick from the right but Mills' ball was caught by Mitchell.

A long throw from Clarke was headed away for a corner three minutes into the added time and from the flag, McKeown, who had come forward to join the attack, headed just wide of the target.

That proved to be Grimsby's last chance to salvage anything from the tie as Derby closed out their win and secured their place in round two.

For the Mariners, the focus now shifts back to the league programme, which continues when Wycombe Wanderers visit Blundell Park on Saturday.

Town:  McKeown, Davies, Clarke (c), Collins, Dixon, M. Rose, Berrett, Kelly, Dembele, Bolarinwa, Hooper.

Subs: Killip, Cardwell, K. Osborne, Mills, Clifton, Jaiyesimi, Summerfield. 

Attendance: 3033 (855 away)

Advertisement block