Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Crewe Alexandra 5-0 Grimsby Town

11 February 2017

REPORT: Crewe Alexandra 5-0 Grimsby Town

GRIMSBY Town went down 5-0 to Crewe Alexandra at the Alexandra Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Two first half braces from George Cooper and Chris Dagnall and a late goal from Callum Cooke saw the Mariners go down to a heavy defeat in Cheshire.

The game began in the worst possible way for Town and they were 1-0 down within two minutes when Callum Cooke played in Cooper in the corner of the box and he slotted past James McKeown.

Town did respond after that goal and Jamey Osborne had a shot from range that was straight at Crewe goalkeeper Ben Garratt.

Osborne was in the thick of the action again two minutes later later when he forced Garratt to palm the ball away from goal with a half-volley attempt from around 25 yards out.

However, the game officially turned with Crewe's second goal on 16 minutes, when the ball was hooked into the box and Chris Dagnall was there to smash the ball home.

Crewe really upped it after that and McKeown was forced into a terrific save to keep out a Jordan Bowery header from close range as Town were struggling to cope with the numbers that Crewe were throwing forward.

It was then 3-0 to the hosts on 25 minutes when Dagnall was brought down around 20-yards-out and Cooper terrifically curled the ball past McKeown.

Crewe then added to their lead four minutes later when Cooper fired the ball across goal and Bowery flicked towards Dagnall who had an easy finish to tap the ball in for his second of the afternoon.

Osborne had Town's first attempt in some time on 37 minutes but his shot was easily gathered by Crewe keeper Garratt.

The home side came close to making it five just before the break when Dagnall flicked a free kick towards goal but Davies was there to head the ball off the line.

Referee Michael Salisbury blew for the break and it was a half to forget for Marcus Bignot's side, with the Town boss responding by making three half time substitutions and bringing on Akwasi Asante, Sam Jones and Tom Bolarinwa for Shaun Dyson, Adi Yussuf and Danny Andrew for the second half.

Town began the second half by having more possession of the ball without really creating anything, which meant that the opening minutes of the half went by without much in terms of incident.

Midfielder Jamey Osborne was again trying to make something happen for Town, and he laid the ball off to Gavin Gunning just after the hour mark but the

However, McKeown, who were Town can thank for not conceding more goals, made a terrific save from Bowery on 62 minutes when his turn-come-shot forced the Town keeper to claw the ball away from goal and out for a corner.

Moments later, the lively Cooper made an audacious attempt to claim the match ball when he chipped the ball on the volley towards goal from half way with McKeown off his line, but the Mariners keeper was able to tip the ball over the bar.

Town had their best chance to get a consolation goal when a long range shot from Sam Jones forced Garratt to parry the ball away but Tom Bolarinwa was unable to hit the target when he got ahold of the rebound.

Crewe then added a fifth goal on 87 minutes when Ainley was found out wide and cut the ball back to Callum Cooke just outside the box, who then side-footed the ball past McKeown.

McKeown was forced into one last save from a Billy Bingham free kick before three minutes of added time were signalled and the the referee blew his whistle.

The Mariners will now be hoping to recover from the defeat when they make the trip to Newport County on Tuesday night.

Advertisement block