Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Barnet 0-2 Grimsby Town

Town make it back-to-back wins with a comfortable victory at The Hive

25 November 2017

Grimsby Town made it two wins out of two as they enjoyed a comfortable victory over struggling Barnet at The Hive.

The Mariners took the lead with just six minutes on the clock as Jamille Matt scored his second goal in as many games.

Town dominated from there but had to wait until 14 minutes from full-time to get their second goal, with Sam Jones the man on target.

And by that time, Barnet had been reduced to 10 men when 16-year-old Dwight Pascal was dismissed for a bad foul on Siriki Dembele.

Grimsby were unchanged after Tuesday's excellent home victory over Swindon Town, meaning Matt and Jones were given the opportunity to continue their partnership in attack.

James McKeown started in goal, with Zak Mills, Nathan Clarke, Danny Collins and Ben Davies in defence.

Dembele, Mitch Rose, Luke Summerfield and Diallang Jaiyesimi made up the midfield, with Matt and Jones as the strikers.

Martyn Woolford came back onto the Grimsby bench, where he was joined by Ben Killip, Karleigh Osborne, Scott Vernon, JJ Hooper, Paul Dixon and Jamey Osborne.

Barnet came into the game sitting second from botom of the League Two table and looking for a win which could take them out of the relegation zone.

They would look to strikers John Akinde and Shaquille Coulthirst to take them towards that result.

Barnet won the game's first corner on three minutes but the ball from the flag was headed clear by Matt.  Another corner followed soon afterwards and although Clarke made a clearance, the hosts retained possession until a cross was blocked by Jaiyesimi.

Town won their first corner on six minutes and from it, they took the lead when MATT met Summerfield's delivery to power a header past keeper Jamie Stephens at the near post.

A free kick from Summerfield was punched clear by Stephens as the Mariners continued to attack, before a foul on Dembele by Ryan Watson brought another free kick in a promising position.  Davies' shot from it was caught by the keeper.

Good defending by Mills stopped Benji Aghadiuno from having an opportunity at one end, before Jones was denied by Stephens at the other as he went close to doubling the Town advantage, with the keeper ensuring only a corner was conceded.

McKeown claimed the ball after a free kick into the Town box was headed on by Aghadiuno, then a powerful volley from Summerfield on the edge of the Barnet penalty area was kept out by Stephens.  The resulting corner was headed clear.

Town were in control as the 25-minute mark passed and their next opportunity came through Summerfield, who narrowly missed the target with a long-range shot.

Jones fired wide just after the half-hour as the visitors continued to dominate, although McKeown had to be alert to come off his line and stop a rare Barnet attack by getting to the ball ahead of Coulthirst.

Dan Sweeney sent an effort wide of the near post for the home side, before a long throw from Clarke came to nothing as Matt was penalised for a foul.

A foul on Dembele on 40 minutes gave Town a free kick, although it did not lead to a goalscoring opportunity.

One added minute was played at the end of the half and wth no further chances for either side, the visitors took a one-goal lead into the dressing room at the interval as their reward for a good performance over the opening 45 minutes.

No changes were made before the restart and Town showed some promise with their first attack of the seond half as Jones made progress into the box but Jaiyesimi was unable to create a chance after getting the ball.

Barnet were reduced to 10 men on 52 minutes when a bad challenge by Pascal on Dembele led to a straight red card.  Dembele stayed down but was eventually passed fit to continue after receiving treatment.

Home boss Mark McGhee reacted to the sending-off by making his first substitution, sending Harry Taylor on in place of Aghadiuno.

A volley from Dembele was cleared off the line by defender Charlie Clough as the Mariners looked to make their numerical advantage count and grab a second goal.

Jones was needlessly booked for delaying a Barnet free kick, before the home side's second change saw Mauro Vilhete come on in place of Jack Taylor.

A run from left-back David Tutonda ultimately brought no reward as his cross was caught by McKeown.

Soon afterwards, a foul by Clough on Summerfield gave Town a free kick.  Mills' ball from it was headed away but the Mariners retained possession and worked it back into the box, where an overhead kick from Jones was tipped away for a corner.  Jones headed over the bar from the flag-kick.

A good challenge by Clarke stopped Sweeney from making further progress in the Grimsby box, then Vilhete beat Clarke to get into the penalty area but did not beat McKeown.

Hooper replaced Jaiyesimi with 20 minutes to go and soon afterwards, good play by Matt gave him an opportunity to shoot but the ball went over the bar.

After dominating for long periods of the game, Town finally had the second goal their efforts had deserved on 76 minutes.  A good ball down the line from Mills found Dembele and he set off on a run before crossing for JONES, who turned and beat Stephens to make it 2-0.

The Mariners fans thought their side had got a third goal three minutes later when Rose found the net following a corner but the flag had already gone up for offside against the midfielder.

Vernon came on in place of Matt for the last nine minutes, with Dembele then leaving the field to a standing ovation from the 627 travelling Town supporters as he was replaced by Woolford with three minutes to go.

Rose did well to get the ball down and create an opportunity for a shot soon afterwards but his effort was blocked.

Hooper then missed the target in the second of four added minutes but that did not matter as the Mariners closed out the remainder of the game to collect the three points and seal what had been a comfortable victory.

Town now have to wait until December 9 for their next game, when Forest Green Rovers will be the visitors to Blundell Park.


1 Jamie Stephens 
38 Dwight Pascal 
13 David Tutonda 
5 Ricardo Santos 
4 Charlie Clough 
26 Dan Sweeney
7 Ryan Watson 
12 Jack Taylor 
9 John Akinde (C) 
11 Shaquile Coulthirst
37 Benjamin Aghadiuno


21 Craig Ross 
24 Andre Blackman 
6 Michael Nelson 
16 Harry Taylor 
18 Wesley Fonguck 
20 Mauro Vilhete 
23 Alex Nicholls


1 James McKeown 
12 Zak Mills 
2 Ben Davies 
6 Danny Collins 
5 Nathan Clarke (C) 
19 Luke Summerfield 
27 Siriki Dembele 
8 Mitch Rose 
20 Diallang Jaiyesimi 
29 Jamille Matt 
10 Sam Jones


30 Ben Killip 
3 Paul Dixon 
14 Karleigh Osborne 
16 Jamey Osborne 
25 Martyn Woolford 
9 JJ Hooper 
21 Scott Vernon

Attendance: 2,033 (627)

Referee: Gavin Ward

Advertisement block