Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Plymouth Argyle 1-0 Grimsby Town

Narrow defeat for Town at Home Park.

4 November 2017

Grimsby Town's hopes of an FA Cup run were extinguished as they were knocked out of the competition by League One Plymouth Argyle at Home Park.

Graham Carey's ninth-minute strike eventually proved to be enough to settle this first round tie, although the Mariners pushed hard in an attempt to force at least a replay.

Town put plenty of pressure on the Plymouth goal as the game went on but they were unable to find a way past home keeper Remi  Matthews and a hard-working display went without reward.

Another unchanged starting XI was named by Town boss Russell Slade, with goalkeeper James McKeown protected by a defence of Ben Davies, Nathan Clarke, Danny Collins and Paul Dixon.

Siriki Dembele, James Berrett, Luke Summerfield and Martyn Woolford were the midfielders, with Sam Jones supporting Scott Vernon in attack.

The Grimsby substitutes were JJ Hooper, Zak Mills, Karleigh Osborne, Harry Cardwell, Diallang Jaiyesimi, Jamille Matt and Ben Killip.

For Plymouth, the game would be a welcome distraction from the league, where they find themselves bottom of the table and with just two victories so far this campaign, having been promoted last season.

Town started brightly and had the first shot of the game through Berrett, although it was saved by Matthews.

At the other end, Summerfield did well to deny David Fox a shooting chance after Carey had got past Dixon.

Soon afterwards though, the hosts took the lead when Jake Jervis found CAREY and he did the rest, cutting in from the right onto his left foot and sending the ball beyond McKeown and into the top corner of the net.

A Plymouth corner came on 13 minutes, with the ball eventually ending up with McKeown after a shot from Fox.

Matthews was called into action in the home goal on 17 minutes when he had to stop an attempt from Woolford.

The hosts then went close to a second goal when Carey attacked again but this time, Carey opted to pass to Joel Grant and he was denied by a good challenge from Clarke as he shot, with the ball going out for a corner.

A foul by Berrett on Fox gave Plymouth a free kick in a dangerous position on 20 minutes but McKeown was equal to Carey's shot from it, pushing the ball away for a corner.

The Town keeper was forced into another save on 23 minutes, coming off his line to make a block from Jervis after more good work by Carey.

Grimsby's first corner of the afternoon came a minute later and after it was played short, Woolford eventually managed to get a cross in, only for Jones to be caught offside.

Another corner was won by Vernon as he jumped with keeper Matthews to get to a Davies cross.  From it, the ball was half-cleared but Town worked it back and after a cross from Berrett and a header by Collins, a scramble followed but the Mariners could not force it into the net despite the best efforts of Vernon and Dembele.

A free kick from Summerfield led to an offside decision as Town continued to attack in search of an equaliser, although Clarke had to time a challenge perfectly inside the penalty area at the other end to stop Grant and ensure the deficit remained at one goal.

A foul on Carey gave the home side a free kick on the edge of the box on 38 minutes and from it, the ball eventuallt fell for Fox but his powerful drive was stopped by McKeown.

Berrett's first-time cross at the other end went out for a goal kick after a good build-up by the Mariners, before Carey threatened again for Plymouth, cutting inside and shooting but missing the target.

One added minute was signalled to be played at the end of the half as Berrett won a corner, although the referee spotted an infringement as the ball was sent across from the flag and blew for a home free kick.

That proved to be the last action of the half, with Plymouth retaining their single-goal advantage at the interval but Town howing plenty of positive signs that they were still very much in the contest.

No changes were made before the restart and the first chance of the second half went to the Mariners, with Dembele firing wide after linking up with Vernon.

Carey was shown the first yellow card of the game for a foul on Summerfield, before a penalty appeal by Carey was turned down by referee John Busby.

Play continued as Carey's appeals fell on deaf ears and Town attacked quickly through Dembele and Jones, although Woolford was unable to profit when the ball came to him inside the box, with the winger mis-hitting a shot when one-on-one with keeper Matthews.

Dembele went close to levelling the scores just before the hour, showing some trickery to work an opening before letting fly with a shot from distance that produced a good save from Matthews, who turned the ball away for a corner.

Davies was booked for a foul soon afterwards but Carey's free kick was headed clear for a corner by Collins.

A spell of Town pressure followed, with more good skill by Dembele setting up an attack that was kept going by Vernon but ended when Summerfield fired over the bar for a goal kick.

Jones was caught offside as Town continued to look for an equalising goal, before Matt and Jaiyesimi were sent on in place of Vernon and Woolford in a double substitution.

A Mariners penalty appeal was waved away after Matt went down in the box, before Davies completed a clearance at the other end after Collins had got his head to the ball from a cross.

A well-timed challenge by Yann Songo'o stopped Berrett from getting into a goalscoring position at the expense of a corner but a foul by Clarke on Sonny Bradley as the ball came across gave the hosts a free kick.

Town's final substitution saw Cardwell come on for Dembele with eight minutes to go, before a left-wing cross from Jones almost fell for Matt, only for Matthews to get to it first.

A chance for the visitors came with four minutes to go but Berrett's strike went wide of the target.

Another opportunity to put pressure on the home goal came with a corner soon afterwards but Jones could not direct his header from it towards goal.

Town were pushing hard for the goal that would keep them in the competition and earn a replay but Jones could not get a shot on goal after linking up with Matt.

A Town corner turned into another one after Jaiyesimi's cross was headed away as three added minutes were signalled, although this time, Berrett's delivery was caught by Matthews.

That proved to be Grimsby's last chance to get anything from the game, meaning their participation in this season's FA Cup will not go beyond the first round.

The Mariners are next in action on Wednesday when they face Sunderland Under-21s at Blundell Park in their last Checkatrade Trophy game, before the league campaign continues with another long trip to the south-west to face Exeter City on Saturday.

Plymouth Argyle

34 Remi Matthews 
3 Gary Sawyer (C) 
17 Aaron Taylor-Sinclair 
5 Ryan Edwards 
15 Sonny Bradley 
4 Yann Songo'o 
10 Graham Carey 
24 David Fox 
32 Toumani Diagouraga 
16 Joel Grant 
14 Jake Jervis


31 Michael Cooper 
2 Gary Miller 
8 Lionel Ainsworth 
11 Ruben Lameiras 
21 Gregg Wylde 
13 Nathan Blissett 
27 Alex Fletcher

Grimsby Town

1 James McKeown 
2 Ben Davies 
3 Paul Dixon 
6 Danny Collins 
5 Nathan Clarke (C) 
7 James Berrett 
27 Siriki Dembele 
19 Luke Summerfield 
25 Martyn Woolford 
10 Sam Jones 
21 Scott Vernon


30 Ben Killip 
12 Zak Mills 
14 Karleigh Osborne 
20 Diallang Jaiyesimi 
17 Harry Cardwell 
9 JJ Hooper 
29 Jamille Matt

Attendance: 5,137 (211)

Referee: John Busby

Advertisement block