Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Morecambe 0-0 Grimsby Town

Town earn a point at The Globe Arena.

21 October 2017

Grimsby Town kept their unbeaten run going with a draw against Morecambe in difficult conditions at the Globe Arena.

The Mariners battled well on a wet and windy day on the Lancashire coast to come away with a point that extended their sequence to six games without defeat.

Town boss Russell Slade again opted to stick with an unchanged team, so goalkeeper James McKeown lined up behind a defence of Ben Davies, Nathan Clarke, Danny Collins and Paul Dixon.

Siriki Dembele, James Berrett, Luke Summerfield and Martyn Woolford were the midfielders, with Sam Jones supporting Scott Vernon in attack.

There was a change on the bench, with Tom Bolarinwa coming into the squad in place of Sam Kelly.  He was joined among the substitutes by Ben Killip, JJ Hooper, Zak Mills, Karleigh Osborne, Diallang Jaiyesimi and Jamille Matt.

Morecambe came into the game looking to bounce back from a heavy midweek home defeat by Port Vale, although Jim Bentley’s Shrimps did register a win on the road at Chesterfield last week.

An early Morecambe corner was dealt with by the Mariners when it was intercepted by Dembele, then a Town corner at the other end on three minutes also did not lead to a chance in front of goal.

Instead, the first time either goalkeeper was called into action of the game came four minutes later, when Vernon conceded a free kick 30 yards from his own goal. Adam McGurk’s shot took a deflection off the Town wall and was held by McKeown.

A shot from Jones was blocked, before a foul on Berrett gave the Mariners a free kick, which led to Woolford missing the target with an effort from a narrow angle.

At the other end, an excellent save by McKeown saw him tip the ball around the post from McGurk for a corner after a move from the hosts which also involved Vadaine Oliver and Luke Conlan.

Alex Kenyon missed the target for the home side, then Woolford fired wide for Town from outside the box before a shot from Michael Rose for Morecambe went over McKeown’s bar.

Jones was shown the first yellow card of the game on 35 minutes for a foul but Oliver’s header from the free kick was too high.

Summerfield struck a shot wide from 20 yards after good build-up play, with the midfielder firing off-target again as the game remained goalless at half-time.

The heavy rain and strong winds continued to make things difficult for both sides after the restart, with Dembele looking to get in behind the home defence, only to see the ball cleared for a throw-in.

A Woolford cross was headed behind for a corner, before Summerfield tried his luck from 25 yards but saw his shot deflected out for a corner by Aaron Wildig.

That led to another flag-kick and this time, Clarke’s header was saved.

Soon afterwards, McKeown did well to get down and tip the ball around the post after a shot by Michael Rose from outside the box.  Kenyon went close with a left-footed shot following the corner but the ball went wide.

Garry Thompson came on for McGurk as Morecambe made the first substitution of the contest, before Jaiyesimi replaced Dembele in Slade’s first change with a little over 20 minutes to go.

Wildig was booked for a foul on 73 minutes, then the ball fell for Summerfield on the edge of the box soon afterwards after good work by Jaiyesimi.  The midfielder’s shot went over the bar.

Elliot Osborne replaced Wildig for the home side with 15 minutes to go, before a Dean Winnard header was saved by McKeown, at the expense of a corner.

Hooper came on in place of Jones with 79 minutes on the clock, then a pair of Morecambe corners five minutes later were both dealt with by the Grimsby defence.

A Town corner on 87 minutes did not lead to an opportunity in front of goal and after three added minutes passed without any further chances, both sides were forced to settle for a point apiece.

The Mariners are next in action on Saturday, when Cambridge United are the visitors to Blundell Park. 


1.Barry Roche 
2 Aaron McGowan
14 Luke Conlan 
5 Steven Old 
6 Dean Winnard 
8 Andrew Fleming 
24 Michael Rose (C) 
4 Alex Kenyon 
15 Aaron Wildig 
28 Adam McGurk 
9 Vadaine Oliver


12 Danijel Nizic 
3 Patrick Brough 
16 Sam Lavelle 
21 Elliot Osborne 
7 Garry Thompson 
10 Adam Campbell 
29 Callum Lang


1 James McKeown GK
2 Ben Davies DF
3 Paul Dixon DF
5 Nathan Clarke (C) DF
6 Danny Collins DF
7 James Berrett MF
27 Siriki Dembele MF
19 Luke Summerfield MF
25 Martyn Woolford MF
21 Scott Vernon FW
10 Sam Jones


30 Ben Killip 
12 Zak Mills 
14 Karleigh Osborne 
18 Tom Bolarinwa 
20 Diallang Jaiyesimi 
9 JJ Hooper 
29 Jamille Matt

Referee: Mr B Toner

Attendance:1527 (462)

Advertisement block