Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Accrington Stanley 1-2 Grimsby Town

Town secure vital away victory

12 September 2017

Grimsby Telegraph
Siriki in action at Accrington Stanley

Grimsby Town returned to winning ways with a vital away victory against Accrington Stanley.

On a wet night in Lancashire, the Mariners delivered the perfect response after slipping to a heavy defeat last time out, securing all three points.

In an open game, Town struck first when Sam Jones opened the scoring three minutes before the break but they could not hold their advantage until half-time as Kayden Jackson equalised.

The visitors did not have to wait long to reclaim the lead though, as Martyn Woolford scored his first goal for the club three minutes after the restart to ultimately settle the contest.

Four changes were made to the Town starting XI after the loss at Mansfield on Saturday, with Ben Davies replacing the injured Zak Mills as Danny Collins, Jones and Jamille Matt also came in.

James McKeown started in goal, with Davies, Nathan Clarke, Collins and Paul Dixon beginning the evening in defence.

Siriki Dembele, James Berrett, Mitch Rose and Woolford were the midfielders, with Jones lining up just behind striker Matt, who was making his first start since signing on loan from Blackpool.

JJ Hooper, Scott Vernon and Karleigh Osborne dropped to the bench, where they were joined by Harry Cardwell, Luke Summerfield, Diallang Jaiyesimi and Ben Killip.

Accrington's attack included former Town loanee Jackson, with another familiar face among the substitutes in the shape of midfielder Scott Brown.

An Accrington corner in the early stages of the game was cleared but it was the Mariners who made the brighter start, with Dembele getting into the box before running the ball through to home keeper Aaron Chapman.

An opportunity for the visitors came when Matt was fouled on the edge of the penalty area on eight minutes but Dembele's free kick went over the bar.

A run from Jones then saw him have a shot blocked before being forced wide at the second attempt as Town's lively opening to the game continued.

Davies was shown the first yellow card of the game on 12 minutes, before a Grimsby corner eventually came to nothing.

At the other end, Jordan Clark cut in before sending over a cross which was put beind for a goal kick.

Dixon had to concede a corner on 20 minutes and from it, a header from Mark Hughes was blocked by the Town left-back.

A foul by Berrett on Jackson gave the hosts a free kick seven minutes later, although Sean McConville could not pick out an Accrington team-mate from it and the ball rolled away for a Grimsby throw-in.

Town's next attack saw Dembele go on a run through the middle before passing to Woolford, who sliced a shot over the bar.

Striker Billy Kee had a chance on the half-hour after beating Rose but his shot was saved by McKeown.

The Town keeper was called into action again two minutes later when Jackson hit a low effort but McKeown got down to make a comfortable stop.

A Grimsby corner came soon afterwards and after it was played short, Davies' looping cross was not fully dealt with by keeper Chapman and the hosts only half-cleared, with Town winning another corner soon afterwards.  This time, the danger was cleared after Clarke had headed the ball back across goal.

When the deadlock was eventually broken on 42 minutes, it was the Mariners who took the lead.  Clarke's ball over the top went to JONES and he flicked it over Chapman before forcing it over the line to give his side a precious lead.

Accrington's response saw then win a free kick in a dangerous position but McConville's ball was put out for a goal kick.

Town's objective would have been to get to half-time with their lead intact but the advantage was to last just three minutes as the home side got themselves level.  Clark took the ball forward down the right before finding the unmarked JACKSON, who beat McKeown to make it 1-1.

McKeown had to tip a header over his bar as Accrington looked to complete the turnaround before the interval but the resulting corner was well-defended by Dembele and the scores remained level at the break.

Malik Wilks replaced Kee up front for the home side before the restart and the substitute was involved almost immediately, drilling a shot which McKeown got to boot to and ensured it would only be a corner to Accrington, which led to a header from Farrad Rawson going wide.

Town used the let-off to their avantage as they reclaimed their advantage on 48 minutes.  A quick break saw Jones find WOOLFORD and he finished well to register his first goal for the club.

The open start to the second half continued with an Accrington corner which was cleared by Collins after it had initially been played short.  The hosts kept possession though and they attacked again, with McConville firing an effort off-target.

Matt was shown a yellow card on 57 minutes after the referee lost patience with him following a string of fouls.

Another Accrington free kick was headed clear by Collins, before a cross was also deal with by the centre-back and a shot from the edge of the box was blocked by Rose.

That proved to be Rose's last action for the evening as he limped off to be replaced by Summerfield.

A low cross from Wilks proved just too far ahead of Jackson for the striker to get on the end of it, before Tyler Forbes replaced Jordan Thorniley in Accrington's first substitution.

Clarke had to head a cross behind for a corner on 63 minutes but the flag-kick came to nothing and Town's lead remained intact.

Dembele had an opportunity to make it 3-1 soon afterwards but a heavy first touch in a promising situation took the ball away from him and the chance was gone.

A foul on Dembele then gave the Mariners a free kick in an attacking area but Jones' shot from long range flew past the post.

Matt was crowded out as he looked to shoot as Town continued to attack, before Dembele went down inside the penalty area but no action was deemed necessary by the referee.

Dembele was booked for a foul on McConville but the resulting free kick was cleared from danger.

Jaiyesimi replaced Dembele soon afterwards, before Woolford turned inside the Accrington box but could only run the ball out for a goal kick.

Liam Nolan hit a powerful shot which McKeown did well to hold with 11 minutes left on the clock, before Vernon was sent on in place of the hardworking Matt in the Town attack for the remainder of the game.

Two Town corners came in quick succession but the Mariners were unable to make either count, before Accrington were also not able to profit from a free kick soon afterwards.

Nolan missed a chance for the home side with four minutes to go, before a free kick was well-watched by McKeown as it went out for a goal kick.

Five minutes of added time were signalled and a bad foul on Jaiyesimi earned Wilks a yellow card, before late Accrington attacks were dealt with by the Town defence as the Mariners closed out what could prove to be an important win.

Grimsby are next in action on Saturday, when Yeovil Town visit Blundell Park.

Accrington Stanley

1 Aaron Chapman 
4 Janoi Donacien 
12 Jordan Thorniley 
3 Mark Hughes 
27 Farrend Rawson 
28 Seamus Conneely (C) 
6 Liam Nolan 
11 Sean McConville 
10 Kayden Jackson 
29 Billy Kee 


13 Nathan Wolland 
2 Tyler Hornby-Forbes 
26 Callum Johnson 
20 Reagan Ogle 
15 Ross Sykes 
8 Scott Brown 
19 Mallik Wilks 


1 James McKeown
2 Ben Davies 
3 Paul Dixon 
6 Danny Collins 
5 Nathan Clarke (C) 
8 Mitch Rose 
27 Siriki Dembele 
7 James Berrett 
25 Martyn Woolford 
10 Sam Jones 
29 Jamille Matt 


30 Ben Killip 
14 Karleigh Osborne 
20 Diallang Jaiyesimi 
19 Luke Summerfield 
17 Harry Cardwell 
9 JJ Hooper 
21 Scott Vernon

Attendance: 1,288 (295)

Referee: Robert Jones

Advertisement block