Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Grimsby Town 2-1 Yeovil Town

Collins and Vernon goals give Town third win in four games

16 September 2017

Grimsby Town made it three wins out of four as they beat Yeovil Town at Blundell Park.

Danny Collins opened the scoring after a goalkeeping error from a corner, before Francois Zoko equalised as Yeovil threatened for the first time in the game.

But the Mariners continued to be the better of the two sides and they got themselves ahead again through substitute Scott Vernon's second-half header, which proved to be the winning goal.

One change was made to the Town starting XI after the midweek win against Accrington Stanley, with Luke Summerfield replacing the injured Mitch Rose.

James McKeown started in goal, with Ben Davies, Nathan Clarke, Collins and Paul Dixon in defence.

Siriki Dembele, James Berrett, Summerfiield and Martyn Woolford formed the midfield, with Sam Jones and Jamille Matt starting in attack together for the first time at home.

The substitutes were Ben Killip, Karleigh Osborne, Sam Kelly, Harry Cardwell, JJ Hooper, Diallang Jaiyesimi and Vernon.

Yeovil would look to the likes of Ivorian frontman Zoko and his strike-partner, Bournemouth loanee Sam Surridge, to provide the main threat to the Grimsby backline, while former Mariner Rhys Browne was named among the Glovers' substitutes.

A foul on Woolford after good hold-up play by Matt gave Town a free kick on the left on four minutes.  Berrett's delivery into the box was headed clear but the hosts worked the ball back and this time, Collins saw a header saved by visiting keeper Artur Krysiak after a cross from Berrett.

Matt hit a half-volley over the bar from 25 yards after controlling the ball and turning, before an effort from Woolford was deflected away for a corner as the home side's positive start to the game continued.

That good start was capped with the opening goal from the flag-kick, as Town took the lead in fortunate circumstances.  Berretts delivery was not dealt with by Krysiak and he pushed the ball straight to COLLINS, who had the simple task of putting it into the net from close range.

Yeovil were yet to threaten as the 10-minute mark passed, with Woolford letting fly with a 25-yard shot that Krysiak parried away as the Mariners continued to attack.

The away side's first attack of note came on 20 minutes but to the disappointment of the home fans, it produced an equalising goal.  Town gave possession away in midfield and Yeovil broke through Surridge before the ball broke for ZOKO to curl a brilliant shot past McKeown and into the net.

Grimsby had looked very comfortable and faced little threat for the opening 20 minutes but Yeovil had suddenly found themselves level as the rain which had been falling since before kick-off turned heavier.

Jones was shown the first yellow card of the game for a late challenge on centre-back Sid Nelson, before a fouol on Tom James at the other end gave the visitors a free kick in a dangerous, ceentral position on 29 minutes.  James shot from it but the ball was caught by McKeown.

A free kick from Davies on the halfway line was headed over the bar by Clarke as the half-hour mark passed, then Davies won a corner after making progress down the right.  Woolford's ball from the flag was met by Clarke but his glancing header dropped just wide of the far post.

Woolford was involved again on 34 minutes, turning inside the box after getting the ball frrom Davies and hitting a low shot which was pushed away for a corner by Krysiak.

A foul on Matt on the right then gave Town a free kick but nobody in black and white was able to attack Woolford's delivery.

Nathan Smith picked up Yeovil's first yellow card for pulling Matt down after both battled for the ball on the Town right but Woolford's delivery from the free kick was too high and went out for a goal kick at the far post.

A stoppage came when Woolford went down with an injury but the winger was passed fit to continue after receiving treatment.

Three added minutes were signalled to be played at the end of the half and a Davies free kick from near the halfway line in the second of them was claimed by keeper Krysiak at the second attempt.

That proved to be the last opportunity of the half for either side to attack and the scores remained level at the interval.

No changes were made before the restart and Town went on the attack in the early stages of the second half, with Dembele turning and cutting in from the left before shooting high and wide.

A corner came on the left after Dixon's low cross was pushed behind by Krysiak, with the keeper punching clear from he flag.

Surridge tried a shot from 20 yards at the other end but his effort was straight at McKeown, then a cross from Yeovil left-back Ryan Dickson was cut out for a corner, which was headed away by Jones.  Dembele went clear over the halfway line but after advancing to the penalty area, he could not create an opening for a shot.

A foul on Davies on the right gave Woolford the opportunity to swing a free kick into the box but Krysiak got to the ball first and punched clear.

Dembele was caught in the face by Nelson to give the Mariners another free kick on 59 minutes, this time left of centre.  Woolford's chipped delivery into the box was headed clear.

Dixon then won a corner on the left when his cross was blocked but this time, Berrett's ball from the flag was claimed by Krysiak under pressure from Clarke.

Matt collided with Krysiak as he tried to get on the end of a ball from Dembele but as both went down, the referee waved play on.

A good spell of Grimsby pressure followed, with crosses from Berrett and Dixon being cleared before a heavy touch from Dembele took him away from goal.

Vernon replaced Matt on 66 minutes as Town boss Russell Slade made his first change of the afternoon, before Yeovil manager Darren Way's first substitution saw Jordan Green come on for Alefe Santos in midfield.

A good attacking move by the Mariners saw Woolford find Jones in midfield and his ball was met by Dembele, although Krysiak was quick off his line to get the the ball after Dembele had taken a touch.

A foul on Vernon gave Town a free kick just inside the Yeovil half on 70 minutes and from it, the home side got their lead back.  The ball was riven into the penalty area and after it was headed on, VERNON was in the right place to nod it into the net at the far post.

Otis Khan replaced James for the away side, before Green won a corner against Collins, whhich led to another on the right.  This time, Jones headed clear before the referee's whistle blew for a Grimsby free kick for a push on Berrett.

Dixon won a corner at the other end on 77 minutes but Berrett's inswinger was cleared after Krysiak had got to it first.

A low cross from Woolford was also cut out for a corner three minutes later but again, Krysiak got to it first and claimed a catch.

Browne was sent on in place of Surridge for Yeovil for the last 10 minutes of the game, with Kelly coming on for Dembele for Town soon afterwards.

A shot from Khan went wide after a run into the Town box from the left, with the away side looking for a second equalising goal.

Four minutes of added time were played and a foul by Woolford on Green gave Yeovil a free kick on the left, which was headed clear by Davies.

Cardwell was sent on in place of Jones as Town looked to run the clock down, before Yeovil were given a final chance to get the ball into the danger zone with a free kick near the halfway line.

The ball was headed clear and that proved to be the last action of the game as the Mariners secured back-to-back wins for the first time this season.

Town are next in action on Saturday, when they make the long trip to Newport County.


1 James McKeown 
2 Ben Davies 
3 Paul Dixon 
6 Danny 
5 Nathan Clarke (C) 
19 Luke Summerfield 
27 Siriki Dembele (Kelly 82)
7 James Berrett 
25 Martyn Woolford 
29 Jamille Matt (Vernon 66)
10 Sam Jones (Cardwell 90)


30 Ben Killip 
14 Karleigh Osborne 
20 Diallang Jaiyesimi 
11 Sam Kelly 
17 Harry Cardwell 
9 JJ Hooper 
21 Scott Vernon

Yeovil Town

1 Artur Krysiak 
5 Bevis Mugabi 
11 Ryan Dickson 
3 Nathan Smith 
25 Sid Nelson 
16 James Bailey (C) 
23 Tom James  (Browne 81)
30 Alefe Santos (Green 68)
10 Jake Gray 
14 Sam Surridge  (Browne 81)
13 Francois Zoko 


12 Jonny Maddison 
2 Daniel Alfei 
9 Rhys Browne 
15 Jordan Green 
7 Otis Khan 
8 Connor Smith 
4 Matt Worthington

Referee: Graham Horwood

Attendance: 3945 (60)

Advertisement block