Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Newport County 1-0 Grimsby Town

Town fall to second league defeat of the season

25 August 2018

Lee Blease
Luke Hendrie

Grimsby Town suffered their second league defeat of the season as they were beaten by Newport County at Rodney Parade.

Matt Dolan's free kick six minutes before half-time eventually proved to be the difference between the two sides in a game of few genuine chances.

And Town were forced to finish the game with 10 men after substitute Wes Thomas was shown a red card in the closing stages.

One enforced change was made to the Grimsby starting XI after the draw at MK Dons in midweek, with Luke Hendrie making his first start for the club in place of the suspended Paul Dixon.

James McKeown began in goal, with Harry Davis, Alex Whitmore, Akin Famewo and Hendrie forming the defence.

Harry Clifton, John Welsh and Jake Hessenthaler continued as the midfield trio, with Martyn Woolford and JJ Hooper again starting on either side of Jordan Cook in attack.

The Town susbstitutes were Sam Russell, Mitch Rose, Louis Robles, Charles Vernam, Andrew Fox, Thomas and Ahkeem Rose.

Newport's starting line-up included a familiar face in the shape of former Mariners favourite Padraig Amond, while ex-Town loanee Jamille Matt had a place on the bench.

The hosts had the first chance of the game and it was that man Amond who got in behind the Town defence, although Famewo got back to block his shot.

A Newport free kick on 11 minutes was cleared by Cook, before a long-range effort from Clifton flew off-target.

A foul on Hessenthaler on 17 minutes gave Town a free kick and after the midfielder had driven the ball into the box, Whitmore's header was blocked on the line by a defender before home keeper Joe Day gathered.

Cook tried his luck with a shot from inside his own half after spotting Day off his line but was unable to catch the keeper out as his effort went wide.

Hooper was then unable to get his head to a cross from Hendrie and the ball went out of play for a goal kick.

A Newport corner on 28 minutes was punched by McKeown but the ball fell for Mickey Demetriou, who fired wide.

Another chance for the hosts came when Dan Butler got in ahead of Clifton and hit a shot which was well-saved by McKeown.

Another corner from Dolan for Newport was headed clear by Whitmore but the hosts retained possession and Amond's cross was deflected behind by Fraser Franks for a goal kick.

A Town free kick came in a dangerous position on the edge of the box when Clifton was brought down on 37 minutes but Woolford's strike went high and wide.

Two minutes later, the opening goal came and it was the home side who took the lead.  A foul by Hooper gave Newport a free kick and DOLAN'S shot from it went over the Town wall and dropped into the net.

One added minute was played at the end of the half, with the hosts holding onto their advantage at the break.

Mitch Rose replaced Clifton before the restart and Welsh was booked three minutes in for a foul.

A ball from Davis towards Hessenthaler at the near post was cleared, before Tyreeq Bakinson beat Welsh but missed the target with his shot.

Mark Harris hit the side-netting soon afterwards as Newport looked for a second goal, before a second Town change saw Thomas come on in place of Hooper.

Cook fired wide after being put through by Thomas, before a good attacking move led to Woolford having a shot blocked.

McKeown had to tip the ball away for a corner following a chip by Josh Sheehan and the flag-kick was headed away by Thomas, with Butler then firing wide.

Antoine Semenyo replaced Mark Harris in the Newport attack with 19 minutes left to play, before Vernam came on for Woolford in Town's last substitution.

A home corner came when Dolan's shot was deflected behind but it was dealt with by the visitors.

Goalscorer Dolan came off with nine minutes remaining to be replaced by Charlie Cooper, before the home side's final change saw Matt introduced for the last six minutes.

Town won a corner as the game moved into four added minutes but they were unable to create any danger from it, with Hessenthaler's cross being blocked after he had turned inside the box.

And a late blow came when Thomas became the third Mariners player of the season to be shown a straight red card when he caught Tyler Forbes with a high foot as he attempted to clear the ball.

Town were unable to find a way back into the game as the home side saw out the remainder of the additional time, meaning the Mariners were left to reflect on a second defeat of the season.

They are next in action on Saturday, when Yeovil Town are the visitors to Blundell Park.

Newport County

1 Joe Day 
28 Mickey Demetriou (C) 
17 Scot Bennett 
5 Fraser Franks 
21 Tyler Hornby-Forbes 
3 Dan Butler 
15 Tyreeq Bakinson 
8 Matthew Dolan 
16 Josh Sheehan 
9 Padraig Amond 
14 Mark Harris


30 Nick Townsend 
18 Jay Foulston 
25 Mark O'Brien 
2 David Pipe 
33 Charlie Cooper 
11 Jamille Matt 
42 Antoine Semenyo

Grimsby Town

1 James McKeown 
24 Harry Davis 
27 Luke Hendrie 
25 Alex Whitmore 
12 Akin Famewo 
4 John Welsh (C) 
15 Harry Clifton 
7 Jake Hessenthaler 
11 Jordan Cook 
16 Martyn Woolford 
9 JJ Hooper


23 Sam Russell 
19 Andrew Fox 
8 Mitch Rose 
14 Louis Robles 
21 Ahkeem Rose 
39 Wes Thomas 
18 Charles Vernam

Attendance: 3,288 (242)

Referee: Neil Hair

Advertisement block