Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Crawley Town 3-0 Grimsby Town

The Mariners were sunk at a rain-drenched Stadium this afternoon.

10 February 2018

Lee Blease
Simeon Jackson in action at Crawley.

The Mariners were sunk at a rain-drenched Stadium this afternoon.

A controversial penalty from Crawley skipper Jimmy Smith gave the home side an undeserved lead at the break.

The Mariners had bossed the first half and Jackson and Wilks had good chances to put Town ahead.

But The Reds wrapped things up after the break with goals from Enzio Boldewijn and Karl Ahearne-Grant.

There were two changes ahead of kick off, with Karleigh Osborne coming in for Danny Collins and Martyn Woolford in for Jamille Matt, who reverted to the bench. Midfielder, Siriki Dembele had been a doubt before the game with a persistent back problem and didn’t make the trip to Sussex.

Deadline day loan signing Simeon Jackson continued up front, paring with Charles Vernam this time.

Nathan Clarke, Karleigh Osborne, Paul Dixon and Zak Mills made up the Mariners’ back four.

James Berrett, Luke Summerfield, Martyn Woolford and Maillik Wilks were the Town midfield.

Easah Suliman made his Town debut on the bench.

Town started well and Luke Summerfield got on the end of a Woolford corner, but his goal-bound effort looked to have been blocked by his own player.

Crawley went close when Smith’s effort was blocked on the line, before Killip did brilliantly to deny the follow-up.

Town hit back and Simeon Jackson set up Mallik Wilks at the far post, but the Leeds loanee saw his effort superbly blocked by the Reds keeper.

And Jackson perhaps should have done better when he got on the end of a pass from Osborne, but the Walsall loanee could only guide his shot wide. 

It looked as though the game would be goalless at the break, but in added on first half time, Osborne was adjudged to have tripped Boldewijn in the box. It looked a very harsh decision from referee Kevin Johnson, with the Town defender looking bewildered by the penalty award.

The first goal was always going to be crucial and so it proved.

The Mariners continued to play well and Summerfield’s free-kick tested the Reds keeper.

But soon after, the hosts knocked the wind out of the Mariners’ sails when Ahearne-Grant ran towards the penalty area before placing the ball into the bottom corner to double his side’s lead.

And Town’s feat was well and truly sealed when Boldewijn delicately chipped a stranded Ben Killip.

Crawley Town

1 Glenn Morris 
22 Josh Lelan 
3 Josh Doherty 
6 Mark Connolly 
15 Josh Yorwerth 
21 Dannie Bulman 
2 Lewis Young 
8 Jimmy Smith (C)
7 Enzio Boldewijn 
23 Thomas Verheydt 
9 Karlan Ahearne-Grant


12 Yusuf Mersin 
19 Cedric Evina 
5 Joe McNerney 
4 Josh Payne 
25 Mark Randall 
27 Moussa Sanoh 
20 Aryan Taj

Grimsby Town

30 Ben Killip 
12 Zak Mills 
3 Paul Dixon 
14 Karleigh Osborne 
5 Nathan Clarke (C) 
19 Luke Summerfield 
25 Martyn Woolford 
7 James Berrett 
18 Mallik Wilks  
39 Simeon Jackson
34 Charles Vernam


35 Andy Warrington 
31 Reece Hall-Johnson 
16 Easah Suliman 
11 Sam Kelly 
9 JJ Hooper 
29 Jamille Matt 
21 Scott Vernon

Referee: Kevin Johnson

Attendance: 2,055 (242)

Next Up: Cambridge United

Advertisement block