Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Grimsby Town 1-1 Cheltenham Town

Mariners forced to settle for a draw

3 February 2018

Grimsby Town were forced to settle for a draw against Cheltenham Town at Blundell Park this afternoon.

Club News

Cheltenham Reaction

3 February 2018

The Mariners got off to a dream start when Simeon Jackson marked his debut with a goal on three minutes.

But after a lively opening from the hosts, they were unable to get themselves further in front and Cheltenham began to come into the game.

After the break, it was the visitors who were creating the better opportunities and they eventually got their reward with an equaliser through Will Boyle.

Both teams pushed for a winner but although they both created chances, that crucial goal was not to come.

Deadline day loan signing Jackson came straight into the Town starting XI and Mallik Wilks was also handed a first start since his temporary move from Leeds United.

They replaced Mitch Rose and Karleigh Osborne, who were both suspended after being sent off in Tuesday's 3-0 defeat at Yeovil.

Ben Killip continued in goal, with Zak Mills, Nathan Clarke, Danny Collins and Paul Dixon forming the defence.

Charles Vernam started on the right of midfield, with James Berrett and Luke Summerfield in the centre and Wilks on the left as Jackson and Jamille Matt began as the strikers.

Andy Warrington, JJ Hooper, Diallang jaiyesimi, Martyn Woolford, Reece Hall-Johnson, Siriki Dembele and Scott Vernon were the substitutes.

Cheltenham sat level on points with the Mariners at kick-off, although Gary Johnson's side had a significantly better goal difference so occupied a place higher in the league table.

Their starting XI included former Town loanee Harry Pell, while striker Mohamed Eisa would be among those looking to cause problems for the home defence.

Town made a flying start to the game, taking the lead with less than three minutes on the clock from their first attack.  A free kick was lifted into the box by Summerfield and a poor attempted clearance sent the ball straight into the path of JACKSON, who accepted the gift to finish from six yards.

The home side's positive opening continued with another chance soon aftrwards, although this time, Jackson was denied by visiting keeper Scott Flinders.

A Cheltenham free kick from Joe Morrell was headed wide for a goal kick, before a Dixon long throw brought a corner at the other end.  Summerfield's ball from the flag was put behind for another one, which was eventually hooked over the bar by Wilks after the away side failed to clear it.

Eisa won a corner for Cheltenham on 11 minutes, which was eventually headed away by Matt, then Wilks battled well at the other end to get the ball across but it was ruled to have gone out of play first.

A short spell of Cheltenham pressure came around 19 minutes but it ended when a ball from Morrell into the box was too far ahead of Jamil Grimes.

The visitors now looked to have settled into the game after Town's quick start and they had another corner on 21 minutes after a good save by Killip. After a goal-line scramble, the keeper eventually held the ball, although Collins went down and had to be treated before being passed fit to continue.

Matt tried his luck with a low shot fom 25 yards four minutes later after controlling the ball on his chest but keeper Flinders got down to make a comfortable stop.

Killip could not prevent the ball from going out for a corner after a shot was deflected away from goal just before the half-hour but the flag-kick caused no problems as the referee's whistle blew for a handball and a free kick to Town.

Collins appeared to be feeling the effects of his earlier knock and had to be substituted on 31 minutes, with Hall-Johnson replacing him to make his Grimsby debut after returning from his loan at Chester.

A Summerfield corner soon afterwards was attacked by Wilks but his header flew off-target, then Will Boyle became the first of the afternoon to be booked for a foul on Matt.

Cheltenham's height was causing problems for Town from set-pieces an they had another opportunity frrom a free kick on the left, although Brian Graham's header bounced up into the arms of Killip.

The second Cheltenham booking came soon afterwards, with Graham shown the yellow card for a foul on Dixon.

Wilks showed good persistance to get down the line and cut inside before sending over a low cross which was cut out for a corner at the near post.  From the flag, Cheltenham failed to clear their lines and the ball eventually fell for Mills inside the box but he could not direct it towards goal.

Soon afterwards, Dixon had space to cut in from the left and shoot, with Flinders pushing the ball clear of danger.

Wilks was the next to create an opening for himself but he missed the target from 20 yards.

Hall-Johnson was booked for a foul near the halfway line but the away side could not create anything from the resulting free kick as the half moved into four minutes of aadded time.

A foul by Matt on Morrell gave Cheltenham a free kick in a dangerous position in the third of the added minutes but from it, Ilias Chatzitheodoridis could only find Killip with a weak shot that went straight at the keeper.

That meant the Mariners held their one-goal advantage at the interval, a lead they would look to build further on in the second half.

No further changes were made before the restart and the first shot of the second half came from Pell for Cheltenham, whose low effort was deemed to have taken a deflection as the refree gave a corner.  Morrell's ball was half-cleared and after it came back to him, his shot was blocked.

Carl Winchester hit a low, first-time shot just wide of the far post soon afterwards, before Chatzitheodoridis escaped a booking after catching Vernam with a forearm in an aerial challenge.

Another Cheltenham corner came on 54 minutes and it quickly turned into one on the opposite flank as Boyle's attempted ball back into the box was blocked.  This time, Berrett was in the right place to head clear.

Town's first moment of promise in the second half came on 57 minutes, when Wilks got the ball well inside his own half and set off on a driving run before shooing just wide of the far post.

Seconds later, a foul on the left edge of the Grimsby penalty area gave Cheltenham an excellent position but Pell's free kick was headed clear.

The away pressure continued with a corner on the left on the hour but after the ball to the far post had been headed down by Graham, it was cleared.

Graham was then replaced by Elijah Adebayo, with Sanmi Odeluso coming on for Eisa and Jerell Sellars replacing Chatzitheodoridis as Cheltenham made all three of their substitutions at once on 62 minutes.

Another good run from Wilks led to a corner on the left, with Dembele replacing Vernam before it was taken.

A stoppage came when referee David Webb went down after being caught by two players in midfield but he was able to continue after receiving treatment from Ton physio Dave Moore.

A wild shot from Hall-Johnson flew high and wide, before a foul on Dembele gave Town a free kick on the left on 75 minutes.  Summerfield's free kick went out of play at the far post for a goal kick.

Cheltenham then grabbed an equaliser two minutes later after the Mariners gave away a free kick in a central position midway inside their own half.  Morrell chipped it into the box and BOYLE was on the end of it to head past Killip.

Hall-Johnson went close to restoring Town's lead with a shot frrom 20 yards but his effort was just too high and flew over the bar.

A foul on Jackson gave the Mariners a free kick on the left with eight minutes left but this time, Summerfield's ball was headed away.

Cheltenham were pouring forward in search of a winner but Town almost got a secon goal when Matt sent a low ball across the six-yard line.  Nobody could get on the end of it though and the ball was put out for a corner.

Another chance for the hosts fell to Matt on 88 minutes but he could not keep his shot from 15 yards down and instead, could only watch it clear the bar.

Five minutes of added time was signalled and the Mariners had a scare as the bal bounced around their own penalty area before a shot was eventually fired off-target.

Then at the other end, excellent play by Jaiyesimi, who had come on for Wilks, went unrewarded as his shot was pushed away for a corner by Flinders.

That proved to be the last chance for either side as the match finished level at 1-1.

Town are next in action on Saturday, when they travel to Crawley Town.


30 Ben Killip 
12 Zak Mills 
3 Paul Dixon 
6 Danny Collins 
5 Nathan Clarke (C) 
19 Luke Summerfield
7 James Berrett 
39 Simeon Jackson 
18 Mallik Wilks 
34 Charles Vernam 
29 Jamille Matt


35 Andy Warrington 
31 Reece Hall-Johnson 
27 Siriki Dembele 
20 Diallang Jaiyesimi 
25 Martyn Woolford 
9 JJ Hooper 
21 Scott Vernon

Cheltenham Town 

24 Scott Flinders
15 William Boyle 
2 Jamie Grimes 
21 Brian Graham 
8 Kevin Dawson 
33 Ilias Chatzitheodoridis 
25 Joe Morrell 
27 Joe Rodon 
11 Carl Winchester (C) 
20 Mohamed Eisa 
7 Harry Pell


22 Rhys Lovett 
18 Matt Bower 
30 Manny Onariase 
6 Nigel Atangana 
17 Jerell Sellars 
14 Elijah Adebayo 
29 Sanmi Odelusi

Referee: David Webb

Attendance: 3352 (92)

Advertisement block