Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Colchester United 1-1 Grimsby Town

Mariners earn a point in Essex.

20 January 2018


Match Reaction | We Should Have Had Three Points - Slade

20 January 2018

Grimsby Town were held to a 1-1 draw with Colchester United in Sky Bet League Two, despite Charles Vernam’s brilliant strike in the first half.

Town broke the deadlock on 37 minutes through Vernam’s wonderful left-footed effort from long-range as he opened his account for the club.

John McGreal’s men equalised two minutes into the second half through a powerful Murray strike on the edge of the Town area.

The first chance of the game came for the Mariners on four minutes when Vernam found space on the edge of the area, before his powerful low-driven shot was parried away by U’s keeper Walker, and cleared to safety by the home side.

And Walker was called into action again five minutes later when Berrett’s 25-yard volley caught him off-guard, and forced him into another good stop.

Russell Slade’s men almost broke the deadlock on 25 minutes when Osborne reacted quickly to fire a left-footed volley goalward, but it bounced off the bar and out for a goal-kick – leaving the home side breathing a huge sigh of relief.

The Mariners came close again on the half-hour mark when Summerfield’s glancing header at the front post was caught well by a good save from Walker.

But Vernam finally opened the scoring for Town on 37 minutes when his left-footed strike from 25 yards darted into the bottom-right corner to beat Walker.

Half time: Colchester United 0-1 Grimsby Town

The home side got back on level terms just two minutes into the second period when Murray fired it into the back of the net from the edge of the area, following a scramble in the Town box.

Town’s first effort of the second half came 10 minutes in when Vernam was denied a brace, as his strike on the turn was parried just over the bar by another great save from Walker.

Town were under slightly more pressure in the opening stages of the second period, but defended well through good challenges from Osborne, Clarke, and Summerfield.

Town had a chance to get back in front on 69 minutes when Berrett floated in a great ball from the left-hand side, but Davies couldn’t connect properly as his header flew just wide of the mark.

And the U’s came close a minute later when Wright sprinted down the right wing and cut in to the box, but Kean watched as his effort flew wide of the mark.

Full time: Colchester United 1-1 Grimsby Town

Colchester United

1 Sam Walker 
6 Frankie Kent 
26 Ryan Inniss 
18 Tom Eastman 
2 Ryan Jackson 
22 Kane Vincent-Young 
4 Tom Lapslie (C) 
16 Sean Murray 
28 Kurtis Guthrie 
10 Sammie Szmodics 
7 Drey Wright


29 Rene Gilmartin 
12 Cole Kpekawa 
5 Luke Prosser
14 Brandon Comley 
20 Courtney Senior 
19 Mikael Mandron 
27 Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe

Grimsby Town

33 Jake Kean 
2 Ben Davies 
3 Paul Dixon 
6 Danny Collins 
14 Karleigh Osborne 
5 Nathan Clarke (C) 
7 James Berrett 
8 Mitch Rose 
19 Luke Summerfield 
29 Jamille Matt 
34 Charles Vernam 


30 Ben Killip 
12 Zak Mills 
20 Diallang Jaiyesimi 
25 Martyn Woolford 
17 Harry Cardwell 
9 JJ Hooper 
21 Scott Vernon 

Attendance: 3016 (336)

Referee: Craig Hicks 

Next Up: Luton Town (H)

Advertisement block