Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Yeovil Town 3-0 Grimsby Town

Nine-man Mariners beaten in Somerset

30 January 2018

Grimsby Town's winless run reached 10 games as they were beaten by Yeovil Town at Huish Park.


Match Reaction | Yeovil

31 January 2018

The Mariners were forced to play almost the whole game with 10 men - and the last half-hour with nine - after Mitch Rose was sent off with just five minutes on the clock and Karleigh Osborne followed him in being shown the red card.

Town fell behind before the quarter-hour when Lewis Wing struck from close range, although they did well to restrict their hosts to few further genuine opportunities before half-time and showed some encouraging signs during the early stages of the second half.

Osborne's sending-off dealt a further blow though, before former Mariner Rhys Browne, on as a substitute, scored the second goal which made the points safe for Yeovil.

And Jake Gray then grabbed a third to put the result beyond doubt and cap a disappointing night in Somerset for Town and their 129 travelling fans.

Grimsby boss Russell Slade made one change to the team that lost to Luton on Saturday, with Zak Mills replacing the injured Ben Davies.

Ben Killip coninued in goal in the absence of Jake Kean, with Nathan Clarke, Osborne and Danny Collins forming a back three.

Mills and Paul Dixon would operate as wing-backs, with James Berrett, Rose and Luke Summerfield operating as a central midfield trio and Jamille Matt continuing alongside Charles Vernam in attack.

The Grimsby substitutes were Andy Warrington, Martyn Woolford, Diallang Jaiyesimi, Scott Vernon, Harry Cardwell, Mallik Wilks and Harry Clifton.

Yeovil were returning to league action after hosting Manchester United in the FA Cup on Friday, with Darren Way's side looking to get themselves further clear of the League Two relegation zone.

An early free kick gave Town an opportunity to put pressure on the home goal but Summerfield's ball was cleared before a foul by Osborne ended the danger.

The Mariners were then reduced to 10 men very early in the game when Rose was shown a straight red card for a high challenge on Jordan Green in midfield.

Matt had a chance to put Town ahead after getting in behind the Yeovil defence on 12 minutes but his shot was saved by home keeper Artur Krysiak.

And two minutes later,  Yeovil made their man advantage count by getting themselves ahead on the scoresheet.  A pass from Francois Zoko looked to be too far away from Green but he retrieved it, cut inside and found WING, who finished at the near post.

Town's response saw Dixon let fly with a shot from 30 yards but his effort caused no problems for the keeper.

Summerfield was booked for a foul on Green near the halfway line on 23 minutes, before a Town attack seven minutes later saw Dixon win a header but Yeovil's Omar Sowunmi dealt with the danger.

Wing was involved again for the hosts just after the half-hour when he fired off-target, before Sowunmi caused problems from a throw-in but Killlip gathered the ball at the second attempt.

Jake Gray was the next to shoot for Yeovil, with Killip making a save before the ball was cleared.

Matt then almost had an opportunity at the other end but the ball was cleared for a throw-in.

Summerfield and Osborne were spoken to by the referee after squaring up to each other on 38 minutes as the Mariners started to let their frustrations show, with Osborne becoming the latest player to be booked in the process.

A good challenge from Osborne soon afterwards ensured only a corner would be conceded after a quick break from the hosts.  The ball came to Sowunmi from the flag-kick but he failed to cause a problem for Killip.

A free kick at the other end gave the Mariners an opportunity to create some danger of their own but Summerfield was unable to make his delivery count.

Dixon became the latest to be shown a yellow card for a late tackle on Green with 44 minutes on the clock.  The ball from it was headed clear by Osborne.

Two added minutes were played at the end of the half and in the first of them, Green miscued a shot from 30 yards to put the ball out for a goal kick.

No further chances came before the referee's half-time whistle, meaning Yeovil kept their single-goal advantage at the interval.

Jaiyesimi replaced Dixon before the restart and the hosts had an opening within 30 seconds with a through-ball for Sam Surridge but Killip read the danger and raced off his line to get there first.

Town's first opportunity of the half came through Berrett but after he found some space to shoot from inside the box, his effort was blocked.

Surridge made way for Alex Fisher in the Yeovil attack on 50 minutes as the striker was given his league debut following his signing from Motherwell.

A free kick for Town soon afterwards saw Collins head onto the roof of the net after a good delivery from Summerfield as the visitors continued their encouraging start to the half.

Former Town attacker Rhys Browne was sent on in place of Green in the home side's second substitution four minutes before the hour.

And the Mariners were dealt another blow on the hour when they were reduced to nine men.  This time, it was Osborne who was given his marching orders after being shown a second yellow card for a trip on Gray.

A ball into the Town box by Tom James was cleared as Yeovil looked to make their numerical advantage count, although the hosts were not managing to seriously test Killip.

Alefe Santos saw a shot blocked and another effort came soon afterwards before Summerfield managed to get the ball away for a corner. 

And this time, the home side finally did manage to double their advantage as Town failed to clear their lines from the flag-kick.  The ball eventually fell to substitute BROWNE and he found the net to make it 2-0.

The Mariners went close to an almost instant reply when Jaiyesimi shot from the edge of the box but the ball went wide of the target.

But when the third goal came on 75 minutes, it was the home side who stretched their lead further.  Killip did well to save a shot from James but GRAY was there to tuck the rebound into the net for 3-0.

Wilks had replaced Matt for Town before the third goal but the hosts were now well on top and they could have had a fourth through Zoko on 78 minutes, although he planted his header wide.

Clifton replaced Vernam for the lst 12 minutes, before a Summerfield free kick was cleared by Zoko.

Another of Yeovil's new signings, Ryan Seager, was sent on for the last nine minutes as he replaced Zoko.

Wing missed the target as the hosts continued to dominate, before Browne almost made it 4-0, only to e denied by a clearance off the line from Mills.

That proved to be the last chance of the game as three added minutes came to an end without any further score.

Town must now look ahead to their next game on Saturday, when they host Cheltenham Town at Blundell Park.

Yeovil Town

1 Artur Krysiak 
23 Tom James 
11 Ryan Dickson 
17 Omar Sowunmi 
3 Nathan Smith 
6 Lewis Wing 
10 Jake Gray 
30 Alefe Santos 
15 Jordan Green 
14 Sam Surridge 
13 Francois Zoko (C)


12 Jonny Maddison 
27 Shaun Donnellan 
22 Corey Whelan 
9 Rhys Browne 
8 Connor Smith 
18 Alex Fisher 
21 Ryan Seager


30 Ben Killip 
14 Karleigh Osborne 
5 Nathan Clarke (C) 
6 Danny Collins 
12 Zak Mills 
3 Paul Dixon 
7 James Berrett 
8 Mitch Rose 
19 Luke Summerfield 
34 Charles Vernam 
29 Jamille Matt


35 Andy Warrington 
15 Harry Clifton 
20 Diallang Jaiyesimi 
25 Martyn Woolford 
17 Harry Cardwell 
21 Scott Vernon 
18 Mallik Wilks

Referee: Charles Breakspear (Surrey) 

Attendance:  2,330 (129)

Next Up: Cheltenham Town (H)

Advertisement block