Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Carlisle Utd 2-0 Grimsby Town

Another defeat for the Mariners.

3 March 2018

Lee Blease
The new boss at Carlisle

Wilkinson On His Last Game In Charge

3 March 2018

Grimsby Town fell to a 2-0 defeat to Carlisle United in Sky Bet League Two at Brunton Park, as goals from Hallam Hope and Mark Ellis either side of the break were enough to extend the Mariners’ winless run to 15 games.

Carlisle started on the front foot and found an early goal through Hope on three minutes before Ellis grabbed the home side’s second with a header on 72 minutes.

And the home side could’ve made it three with four minutes remaining, but James McKeown made a great stop to save Hope’s penalty as the striker put it to the Town keeper’s left.

Keith Curle’s side opened the scoring in the third minute as McKeown made a good save to parry Bennett’s strike out to the side, but Hope was there to smash it into a virtually empty net.

Town went searching for an immediate equaliser and came close on 10 minutes after Cardwell did well to intercept a Carlisle pass and play a through-ball to Matt, but the striker couldn’t fully get it under control as it fell to Bonham.

But the home side almost got a second on 13 minutes when Nadesan made a great run through the middle of Town’s defence, but Collins got back to make a great tackle and regain possession for the Mariners.

And the home side had another good effort on 34 minutes when Devitt’s 30-yard strike bounced off the bar before Dixon headed it into McKeown’s hands.

Town had a good chance to equalise two minutes before the break as Jaiyesimi beat two Carlisle defenders down the left wing, but his 20-yard strike was comfortably saved by Bonham.

Town were forced to make their first change of the game a minute before the break as Hall-Johnson came on for the injured Dixon, with Mills slotting in at left-back.

Half-time: Carlisle United 1-0 Grimsby Town

Town had the first shot of the second period on 53 minutes, but Summerfield couldn’t find the target from 20 yards as his strike flew wide of the right post.

The Mariners came close again just after the hour mark, but Cardwell’s close-ranged shot was saved well by Bonham, as the Carlisle goalkeeper cleared it away for the home side.

Town made their second sub of the game on 66 minutes as Vernam replaced Cardwell up front.

And the Derby County loanee almost made an immediate impact as he forced Bonham to make a good save with his first touch – a shot from 20 yards – just a minute after coming on.

Carlisle got their second on 72 minutes from a corner as McKeown appeared to be fouled in the area, before Ellis headed it home.

The Mariners might have had a way back into the contest on 79 minutes, but Rose couldn’t control Vernam’s low ball in from the left, as it got away from the midfielder and landed to Bonham.

The Mariners made their final change of the game two minutes later as Hooper replaced Berrett.

Carlisle had a penalty on 86 minutes following a Summerfield foul, but McKeown made a great stop to deny the home side from extending their lead as Hope sent it towards the keeper’s bottom-left corner.

Full-time: Carlisle United 2-0 Grimsby Town.

Carlisle United

1 Jack Bonham 
5 Gary Liddle (C) 
6 Tom Parkes 
16 Mark Ellis 
29 Clint Hill 
4 Luke Joyce 
11 Jamie Devitt 
8 Michael Jones 
9 Hallam Hope 
30 Ashley Nadesan 
14 Richard Bennett


15 Louis Gray 
3 Danny Grainger 
13 Jamal Campbell-Ryce 
19 Reggie Lambe 
18 John O'Sullivan 
28 Kristopher Twardek 
23 Cole Stockton


1 James McKeown 
12 Zak Mills 
3 Paul Dixon 
5 Nathan Clarke (C) 
6 Danny Collins 
8 Mitch Rose 
7 James Berrett 
19 Luke Summerfield 
20 Diallang Jaiyesimi 
29 Jamille Matt 
17 Harry Cardwell


30 Ben Killip 
31 Reece Hall-Johnson 
14 Karleigh Osborne 
16 Easah Suliman 
27 Siriki Dembele 
9 JJ Hooper 
34 Charles Vernam

Attendance: 4,151 (143)

Referee: Scott Oldham

Next UP: Port Vale (H)

Advertisement block