Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Grimsby Town 0-3 Oldham Athletic

Town fall to fourth consecutive league defeat

15 September 2018

Paul Burgess
James McKeown v Oldham

Two goals within two second-half minutes sent Grimsby Town towards a fourth consecutive league defeat as Oldham Athletic won at Blundell Park.

After a first half of few real chances for either side, the visitors stepped up the tempo after the break and they took the lead through striker Sam Surridge on 63 minutes.

The Mariners were given no time to recover as Surridge doubled his, and Oldham's goal tally on 65 minutes.

Town tried to find a way back into the game but they were unable to do so and substitute Jose Baxter added a third for Oldham in added time.

Sunderland loanee and England youth international Elliot Embleton came in for his first start, while Akin Famewo, Luke Hendrie and Wes Thomas were also included as Andrew Fox, Harry Clifton, Alex Whitmore and John Welsh made way.

James McKeown started in goal, with Hendrie, Harry Davis, Danny Collins and Famewo formed the defence.

Embleton, Mitch Rose, Martyn Woolford and Jake Hessenthaler were the midfielders, with Jordan Cook and Thomas in attack.

Clifton and Whitmore were named on the bench, alongside JJ Hooper, Louis Robles, Charles Vernam, Sam Russell and Ben Pringle.

Oldham were making their first league visit to Blundell Park for 14 years, having been relegated from League One last season.

Town's early attacks were coming through the long throw of Rose, with visiting keeper Daniel Iverson seeing his first action after a throw was flicked on at the near post on three minutes.

Dan Gardner's volley from 25 yards went over the bar as Oldham launched their first attack of note three minutes later, before Thomas won the first corner at the other end when his cross-shot was blocked. Hessenthaler's delivery was caught by Iverson.

Johan Branger also fired over the bar from outside the box for the away side, then a free kick led to Collins heading wide for Town.

Cook won a corner on the right and went on to connect with Hessenthaler's low delivery but the striker could only lift the ball well over the bar.

The next Town attack saw Cook do well to keep the ball in play before cutting into the box, with Embleton's shot eventually being deflected away for a corner by keeper Iverson.

A stoppage came when Cook went down with an injury and although he initially played on after receiving treatment, he was forced to come off soon afterwards and was replaced by Vernam.

Midfielder Chris Missilou missed the target with a shot from 20 yards on 28 minutes, before Vernam launched an attack which ended with Woolford's weak effort being comfortably stopped.

At the other end, a cross from Chris O'Grady on the left was met by Callum Lang but his header dropped wide of the far post.

The pressure continued when a shot by Surridge was pushed out by McKeown and then put behin for a corner on the right. McKeown punched the ball from the flag as far as the edge of the penalty area, with Lang then sending it over the bar.

Another effort from Lang was blocked by Collins, before a shot by Vernam was blocked as Town launched a counter-attack.

A long ball forward on 40 minutes found O'Grady in space on the left and he cut in but good positional play by Collins meant the striker did not get a sight of goal and could only shoot wide of the far post.

Three added minutes were played at the end of the half and although Oldham were looking the more threatening of the two sides, neither were able to force a breakthrough before the interval.

No further changes were made before the restart and Town almost had a chance when defender Andy Taylor lost out to Hendrie in midfield but his through-ball found Thomas in an offside position.

Taylor won a corner for the away side after a quick counter-attack on 52 minutes but the ball from the flag was cleared by Famewo after it had been headed down.Surridge forced McKeown into action again soon afterwards, with the keeper tipping his shot around the near post for a corner, which he went on to punch clear.

A free kick in a dangerous position came when Surridge was fouled 25 yards out, although Gardner's effort from it sailed harmlessly over the bar.

Vernam won a corner at the other end when his low cross was put behind and a training ground routine from it was almost well worked but Thomas was caught offside when Woolford chipped the ball into the box.

Lang was replaced by Gevaro Nepomuceno in Oldham's first substitution on the hour, before O'Grady narrowly failed to get on the end of a dangerous-looking cross from Branger.

The visitors were continuing to look the more threatening of the two teams and they made that threat count on 63 minutes when SURRIDGE worked his way into the box from the left and beat McKeown with a powerful shot that found the far corner of the net.

An almost immediately after takin the lead, the visitors doubled their advantage. Again, SURRIDGE powered his way through from a similar position and after his initial effort was blocked, he squeezed the rebound into the net to make it 2-0.

Hooper replaced Embleton in Town's second change, before a nice build-up from the Mariners ended with the ball being cleared after Thomas had fired it across goal.

Hooper then went close with a low effort that was deflected wide for a corner as the hosts kept looking for a way back into the game.

Pringle was sent on for his first appearance in a Town shirt as he replaced Famewo with 14 minutes to go, before Baxter came on for O'Grady for Oldham.

Surridge was replaced by Ishmael Miller with seven minutes left on the clock and the substitute had a chance to make it 3-0 but saw his shot beaten away by McKeown.

Town kept trying to force a way back into the game, with a 25-yard drive from Woolford being tipped over the bar by Iverson and a string of corners being dealt with by the away defence.

Five added minutes were played at the end of the game and there was time for the visitors to add a third goal, as BAXTER found the net with a diving header after a free kick.

The rest of the game was played out before Oldham could celebrate their victory, with the Mariners left to reflect on another defeat.

Town are next in action when they travel to Stevenage on Saturday.


1 James McKeown 
27 Luke Hendrie 
12 Akin Famewo 
6 Danny Collins (C) 
24 Harry Davis 
8 Mitch Rose 
22 Elliot Embleton MF
7 Jake Hessenthaler MF
11 Jordan Cook 25' FW
39 Wes Thomas FW
16 Martyn Woolford


23 Sam Russell 
25 Alex Whitmore 
15 Harry Clifton 
30 Ben Pringle 
9 JJ Hooper 
14 Louis Robles 
18 Charles Vernam 

Oldham Athletic

1 Daniel Iversen 
23 Rob Hunt 
3 Andy Taylor 
26 Peter Clarke (C) 
4 George Edmundson 
17 Christopher Missilou 
6 Dan Gardner 
19 Callum Lang 
22 Johan Branger 
10 Chris O'Grady 
9 Sam Surridge


13 Zeus de la Paz 
18 Sam Graham 
34 Thomas Hamer 
8 Jose Baxter 
28 Mohammed Maouche 
27 Gevaro Nepomuceno 
11 Ishmael Miller

Attendance: 4746 (832) 

Referee: Nicholas Kinseley

Next Up: Stevenage 

Advertisement block