Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Stevenage 1-0 Grimsby Town

Town fall to late winner as run of defeats continues

22 September 2018

Lee Blease
Mitch Rose

A late goal sent Grimsby Town to a fifth league defeat in a row as they were beaten by Stevenage.

After a tight first half, both teams had chances to break the deadlock after half-time in an end-to-end contest.

But when the crucial goal came on 83 minutes, it was the home side's Steve Seddon who tapped home to seal all three points.

Three changes were made to the Town side after last week's defeat by Oldham Athletic, with Alex Whitmore, Harry Clifton and John Welsh coming into the starting XI as Akin Famewo, Elliot Embleton and Jordan Cook dropped out.

James McKeown began in goal, with Luke Hendrie, Whitmore, Danny Collins and Harry Davis making up the defence.

Jake Hessenthaler, Clifton, Welsh, Mitch Rose and Woolford were the midfielders, with Wes Thomas as the lone striker.

The Grimsby substitutes were Famewo, Embleton, Ben Pringle, Charles Vernam, Reece Hall-Johnson, JJ Hooper and Sam Russell.

Stevenage included young QPR loanee Seny Dieng in goal for the first time, while Ben Kennedy, Dan Newton and Alex Revell would be among the men looking to get the goals for the home side.

In a quiet opening to the game, the first action of note came when Emmanuel Sonupe made progress down the left but could not pick out a team-mate with his ball into the penalty area.

A home corner on nine minutes then caused no problems as the ball from the flag was caught by McKeown, before a long throw at the other end was also dealt with.

A Town free kick from Hessenthaler came to nothing, then Hendrie was shown the first yellow card of the game for a foul on Kennedy.

A chance for the hosts came at the end of a counter-attack on 21 minutes, with Sonupe's shot being turned around the post by McKeown for a corner after Kennedy's initial effort had been blocked.

Another opportunity for Stevenage came on the half-hour, as Newton hooked a half-volley just off-target from the edge of the box.

At the other end, Town won a corner after a good attacking move but were unable to make it count.

A glancing header from Revell went well wide of McKeown's target on 40 minutes after a run and cross from Steve Seddon on the left.

The Mariners won a second corner soon afterwards after a long throw from Rose and the flag-kick was put behind for another one.  This time, Hessenthaler's ball was cleared after it had been headed on.

Two added minutes were played at the end of the half and with no further chances for either side, the game remained goalless at the break.

No changes were made before the restart and the home side had the first chance of the second half, with Luther James-Wildin firing wide.

A shot from Clifton went out for a throw-in, then Town had three half-chances in very quick succession before a Stevenage counter-attack led to two efforts being blocked to keep the score at 0-0.

Woolford had a chance soon afterwards but was unable to pass the ball into the net, then a free kick for a foul on Rose was eventually cleared for a throw-in after the ball had been headed on into the path of Woolford.

Revell forced McKeown into a good save as he got down to tip the striker's shot around the post for a corner on 56 minutes, which was headed behind for another one.  This time, the low delivery led to a good block from Hendrie, before a shot from Newton was blocked for another corner, which led to defender Scott Cuthbert seeing an effort blocked on the line.

The game had become much more open after the interval and was now moving from end to end, with both sides looking threatening as they searched for a breakthrough goal.

A free kick into the Stevenage box from Hessenthaler was headed on by Collins but Davis could not get on the end of it and the ball was cleared for a throw-in, which was also dealt with by the home defence.

A good run from Thomas on 70 minutes almost led to a chance for the Mariners but his cross towards Clifton was blocked.

A Town free kick then led to a corner, which saw Thomas win another one to keep the pressure on the home defence.  This time, Hessenthaler's ball was headed wide by Collins.

Woolford did well to work some space for a shot from the edge of the box as the Mariners continued to threaten but his effort narrowly missed the target.

At the other end, Welsh blocked a shot from Revell and Woolford prevented the ball from going out for a corner.

Kennedy was replaced by Kurtis Guthrie for Stevenage in the game's first substitution on 80 minutes, before Pringle came on in place of Clifton for Town.

The deadlock was finally broken with seven minutes to go, as Grimsby gave possession away and the home side broke, with Newton making his way into the box and playing the ball across for SEDDON to tap home.

Town made a double substitution in an attempt to force their way back into the game, with Vernam and Hooper coming on for Woolford and Rose.

Hooper's cross on 87 minutes was put behind for a corner but the ball was cleared for a throw-in, which was also dealt with by Stevenage.

The Mariners were given an additional five minutes to rescue a point and they created a chance through Pringle's cross but the ball was headed wide by Whitmore.

Ultimately though, they were unable to force an equaliser and were left with a fifth consecutive defeat.

Town are next in action on Saturday, when Morecambe visit Blundell Park. 


27 Seny Timothy Dieng 
2 Luther Wildin 
12 Steve Seddon 
5 Scott Cuthbert 
31 Ben Nugent 
4 Michael Timlin 
10 Ben Kennedy 
8 Joel Byrom 
11 Emmanuel Sonupe 
19 Danny Newton 
9 Alex Revell (C)


13 Will Appleyard 
25 Ronnie Henry 
3 Johnny Hunt 
7 Jimmy Ball 
14 James Ferry 
28 Kurtis Guthrie 
22 Alex Reid


1 James McKeown 
27 Luke Hendrie 
24 Harry Davis 
25 Alex Whitmore 
6 Danny Collins 
8 Mitch Rose 
15 Harry Clifton 
7 Jake Hessenthaler 
4 John Welsh (C) 
16 Martyn Woolford 
39 Wes Thomas


23 Sam Russell 
12 Akin Famewo 
2 Reece Hall-Johnson 
22 Elliot Embleton 
30 Ben Pringle 
9 JJ Hooper 
18 Charles Vernam

Attendance: 2,332

Referee: Lee Collins 

Next Up: Morecambe (H)

Advertisement block