Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

📝Match Report: Grimsby Town 1-1 Bradford City

Impressive Mariners earn deserved point

10 August 2019

Lee Blease
Moses Ogbu

Grimsby Town and Bradford City shared the points after an entertaining encounter at Blundell Park.

In their first home game of the season, the Mariners gave an excellent performance and continued to set the standard for the campaign ahead.

They were the better side for long periods of the game but fell behind when Bradford striker James Vaughan opened the scoring seven minutes into the second half.

But Town did not let their heads drop and grabbed a deserved equaliser when former Bradford favourite James Hanson scored his first goal for the club.

Michael Jolley named an unchanged starting XI after the opening day victory at Morecambe, with captain James McKeown in goal behind a defence of Elliott Hewitt, Harry Davis, Ludvig Ohman and Luke Hendrie.

Harry Clifton, Jake Hessenthaler and Elliott Whitehouse were the midfielders, with Matt Green, James Hanson and Ahkeem Rose in attack.

The substitutes were Jordan Cook, Charles Vernam, Max Wright, Moses Ogbu, Sebastian Ring, Sam Russsell and Mattie Pollock.

Bradford made the short trip from West Yorkshire looking for their first win of the season after drawing their first game.

Manager Gary Bowyer would look to his three-pronged attack of Clayton Donaldson, Eoin Doyle and James Vaughan to send a huge travelling contingent home happy.

The game kicked off in wet, windy condittions and Ohman picked up an early yellow card for dragging Donaldson down near the edge of the box. Town went unpunished from the free kick though as Vaughan headed wide.

Town won a corner at the other end on four minutes and from it, the visitors were unable to fully clear their lines and both Whitehouse and Rose saw shots blocked.

The home pressure continued and a cross from Hewitt was deflected for another corner, which led to Clifon winning a third flag-kick on the opposite left flank. This time, the ball was cleared and a slip by Clifton saw Jermaine Anderson break to start an attack which ended with a shot from Donaldson being deflected for a corner, which was cleared.

Palmer stung the palms of McKeown with a shot frrom 25 yards which the keeper gathered at the second attempt, before a shot by Green from a similar distance hit Rose.

Whitehouse was brought down on the edge of the box to give Town a free kick in a dangerous position, left of centre, on 16 minutes. Whitehouse chipped his shot harmlessly over the bar though.

The Mariners were forced into making an early substitution when Rose went down injured and was unable to continue. Ogbu was sent on in his place.

A low Hendrie cross from the left on 25 minutes was put behind for a corner but Hessenthaler's ball was headed clear.

After a fast start, the game had settled down with Bradford looking to keep possession and build up attacks patiently, although the hosts had been the better of the two sides so far.

A foul on Ogbu gave Town a free kick on the right on 34 minutes and a set-piece routine saw Hessenthaler play the ball short to Hewitt but his cross was too high for Whitehouse at the far post.

Whitehouse was pulled down by Anderson on the Grimsby left soon afterwards but visiting keeper Richard O'Donnell got to Hessenthaler's driven free kick and did enough to push it away from goal.

Midfielder Jordan Gibson fired harmlessly wide from 20 yards after the visitors had been given some space on the edge of the Town box on 42 minutes.

Green looked to have a chanc as he ran onto a through-ball soon aftrwards but good defending by Anthony O'Connor shielded the ball away from the striker.

Two added minutes were played at the end of the half and with no further chances for either side, the game remained goalless at the break.

No further substitutions were made before the restart and an early low cross from Hewitt was cleared, before a shot from Green was blocked.

Clifton battled well to win a corner on the right two minutes in and Hessenthaler's ball was met by Ohman but Hanson was unable to get a shot in.

Hanson fired high and wide of the near post after linking up well with Green as Town continued to show signs of promise.

At the other end, Anderson failed to connect with a header after a cross from Doyle on the left looked to have found the midfielder.

But Grimsby's luck was not to last as on 52 minutes, a similar cross from Gibson on the left found VAUGHAN and this time, the striker connected to power a header past McKeown and into the net to open the scoring.

Town's reply saw Hendrie find Hanson on the edge of the box but he was not able to trouble O'Donnell.

The Mariners thought they were back on level terms just before the hour when Clifton's lob over O'Donnell bounced back off the bar and Ogbu put the loose ball into the net but the goal was ruled out for offside against the striker.

Clifton won a corner on the right soon afterwards but Hanson could not direct Hessenthaler's delivery towards goal.

Green forced a good save from O'Donnell after he connected with a cross from Ogbu, witth the keeper pushing it away for a corner.

And from the flag, the Mariners had a dserved equaliser as Hessenthaler's ball was met by HANSON and his header was deflected and found the net to make it 1-1.

Town kept pushing forward and they almost took the lead from another corner when a header hit the unlucky Whitehouse as the ball looked to be going towards the net.

Daniel Devine replaced Anderson for Bradford after Sean Scannell had come on for Doyle in the orange of the visitors.

Town were looking the more likely to get a second goal though and Hewitt won another corner on the right on 76 minutes, although Bradford broke from it through Scannell. He found Gibson but the midfielder opted to shoot from distance and his effort was well blocked by Hewitt.

Ohman had to go off after coming off worst in an aerial challenge with Vaughan, with Pollock taking his place at centre-back. Vaughan was passed fit to continue.

Donaldson had a chance for the away side on 80 minutes but McKeown was equal to his curling shot, diving to his left to make the stop.

Vaughan fired a first-time shot harmlessly over the bar from 20 yards, before McKeown did well to make a double save after a low ball acrross by Donaldson was diverted towards goal.

Bradford were starting to look more threatening as the clock ticked down and Scannell won a corner on the right on 86 minutes. Matty Palmer's kick was headed clear by Whitehouse.

Green won a free kick inside the away half a minute later but Davis was adjudged to be offside from Hessenthaler's delivery.

Four added minutes were played at the en of the game and although both sides pushed for a winning goal, they were forced to settle for a point apiece.

Town are next in action on Tuesday, when Doncaster Rovers visit Blundell Park in the first round of the Carabao Cup.


1 James McKeown (C)  
22 Elliott Hewitt  
2 Luke Hendrie  
5 Ludvig Öhman   
4 Harry Davis  
8 Jake Hessenthaler  
15 Harry Clifton  
10 Elliott Whitehouse  
9 James Hanson  
7 Matt Green  
14 Ahkeem Rose 


23 Sam Russell  
25 Matthew Pollock  
21 Sebastian Ring  
11 Jordan Cook  
19 Max Wright  
20 Moses Ogbu   
18 Charles Vernam

Bradford City

1 Richard O'Donnell  
2 Kelvin Mellor  
22 Adam Henley  
6 Anthony O'Connor  
5 Ben Richards-Everton  
16 Matthew Palmer  
18 Jermaine Anderson  
9 Eoin Doyle  
17 Jordan Gibson  
12 James Vaughan (C)  
10 Clayton Donaldson


13 Sam Hornby  
15 Tyler French  
3 Jackson Longridge  
4 Paudie O'Connor  
23 Connor Wood  
24 Daniel Devine  
7 Sean Scannell

Referee: Ben Toner

Attendance: 6,882 (1,783 away)

Next Up: Doncaster Rovers (H) 

Advertisement block