Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

📝Match Report: Grimsby Town 0-0 Northampton Town

Town claim a point to end run of three straight defeats

16 March 2019

Lee Blease
Wes Thomas

Grimsby Town and Northampton Town shared the points after a wind-affected game at Blundell Park.

A hardworking performance by the Mariners brought the reward of ending their run of three straight defeats.

But neither side was able to fully master the conditions on an afternoon of few genuine chances, with both goalkeepers remaining untested.

Three changes were made to the Town starting line-up after the midweek loss to Tranmere.

Danny Collins and Sebastian Ring came back into the defence as Reece Hall-Johnson and Alex Whitmore dropped to the bench, while Elliot Embleton replaced Harry Clifton in midfield.

James McKeown began in goal, with Luke Hendrie and Ring operating as wing-backs as Harry Davis, Ludvig Ohman and Collins formed a centre-back trio.

Martyn Woolford and Jake Hessenthaler joined Embleton in the centre of the park, with Wes Thomas and Jordan Cook in attack as Hall-Johnson, Whitmore and Clifton were joined as substitutes by Kristian Dennis, Chales Vernam, Ahkeem Rose and Sam Russell.

Northampton arrived in Cleethorpes looking to continue an excellent run of form which had seen them win four and draw two of their previous six games, leaving them four points and five places ahead of the Mariners in the League Two table.

The first chance of the game fell to the visitors in the third minute when a free kick was sent into the penalty area but Sam Foley's first-time shot went wide.

A foul by Davis on Dan Powell gave Northampton another free kick, the time wide on the left, although David Buchanan's ball was taken out for a goal kick by the strong wind.

A teasing cross from John Joe O'Toole went all the way through to Sam Hoskins but his attempted return ball was blocked as the away side continued to dominate the early stages of the game.

Hoskins was shown the first yellow card of the game after a foul on Ring, before Thomas fired wide from 25 yards in what was Town's first shot of the game on 11 minutes.

A great ball from Woolford found Hendrie on the Grimsby right but the wing-back's low cross was cleared by defender Aaron Pierre.

Davis may have been relieved to only concede a corner as he headed a swirling cross past McKeown on 18 minutes.  It led to another corner but neither caused any real problems in front of goal.

A third corner in quick succession came when a shot from striker Andy Williams was blocked, with McKeown punching the ball from the flag clear for a throw-in.

A cross from Woolford on the left was narrowly missed by Cook as he looked to connect with a header.

Soon afterwards, a foul by Ash Taylor on Cook gave the Mariners a free kick 30 yards out but Hessenthaler's ball drifted into the box drifted out for a goal kick.

A mistake by Taylor almost let Thomas in on 24 minutes but visiting keeper David Cornell read the danger and raced out of his penalty area to win the ball with a superb challenge on the striker.

A chance for the hosts came when Thomas did well to chase the ball down and keep it in after an attempted shot by Ring was sliced.  The striker cut into the box from the left and pulled the ball back for Collins but he sent it high over the Osmond Stand.

Embleton set off on a run from halfway on 35 minutes but his low shot from 25 yards did not trouble Cornell as it went wide.

A powerful long-range effort from Hessenthaler five minutes later flew wide, before a free kick at the other end was headed out by Thomas for a corner, which was cleared by Embleton.

One added minute was signalled to be played at the end of the half and Town spent it on the attack, with Hendrie running froward from halfway before being brought down by David  Buchanan, who was booked.

Embleton's free kick was headed clear in what turned out to be the last action before the break, with the deadlock yet to be broken.

No changes were made by either side before the restart and an attepted shot by O'Toole four minutes in went harmlessly wide.

Hessenthaler was booked for kicking the ball away after a free kick went against the Mariners but the set-piece did not lead to a chance in front of goal.

A stoppage came for Hessenthaler to receive treatment after going down with an injury near the dug-outs but the midfielder was passed fit to continue.

A cross from Powell on the Nothampton left was headed clear, before Embleton shot wide at the other end as both teams continued to struggle to create clear chances in the difficult conditions.

Striker Marvin Sordell replaced Powell as the away side made the first substitution, with manager Keith Curle opting to add an extra forward.

A shot by Embleton was blocked, before a low cross from the Sunderland loanee was cleared at the near post as the Mariners looked to create some danger.

A corner came after good work by Thomas down the left to chase a ball from Cook and send over a cross that was put behind.  Vernam replaced Embleton before the kick was taken, then the ball from the flag was cleared for another one after it had been headed on.  This time, Ohman's header was caught by Cornell.

The visitors saw a penalty appeal turned down after Foley made his way into the box before going down under a challenge but the referee waved the claims away and play continued.

Foley looked to chip McKeown soon afterwards but the keeper got back and the scores remained level.

Thomas was replaced by Dennis with five minutes to go, before a cross from Foley for the visitors was headed on for Pierre but he shot wide at the near post.

Jack Bridge replaced Williams in the Northampton attack and the away side won a corner on 89 minutes, which was headed clear by Collins.  The ball was worked back into the box but a handball decision was given against Sordell.

Three added minutes were played at the end of the game but neither side was able to fore a breakthrough and instead, were left to settle for a point apiece.

Town have another home game on Saturday, when promotion-chasing Bury visit Blundell Park.


1 James McKeown 
6 Danny Collins (C) 
5 Ludvig Öhman DF
24 Harry Davis 
27 Luke Hendrie 
3 Sebastian Ring 
7 Jake Hessenthaler 
16 Martyn Woolford 
22 Elliot Embleton 
11 Jordan Cook 
39 Wes Thomas


23 Sam Russell 
2 Reece Hall-Johnson 
25 Alex Whitmore 
15 Harry Clifton 
8 Kristian Dennis 
21 Ahkeem Rose 
18 Charles Vernam

Northampton Town

1 David Cornell 
4 Charlie Goode 
3 David Buchanan 
6 Ash Taylor 
16 Aaron Pierre (C) 
8 Sam Foley 
7 Sam Hoskins 
18 Jordan Turnbull 
21 John-Joe O'Toole 
11 Daniel Powell 
9 Andy Williams


30 Luke Coddington 
31 Jay Williams 
19 Jack Bridge 
22 Timi Max Elsnik 
10 Joe Powell 
15 Dean Bowditch 
27 Marvin Sordell

Referee: Ollie Yates

Attendance: 3,890 (393)

Next Up: Bury (H)

Advertisement block