Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Scunthorpe United 0-2 Grimsby Town

Second-half goals seal derby victory for Mariners

7 March 2020

Lee Blease/ Prime Media Images

Grimsby Town claimed a derby day win as they beat Scunthorpe United at the Sands Venue Stadium.

After a first-half low on quality, the Mariners struck first when Charles Vernam put them ahead with a header eight minutes after the break.

And the points were sealed when Luke Waterfall headed home from a corner, to the delight of the 2,000-plus travelling supporters.

From then, Scunthorpe rarely threatened and after substitute Levi Sutton was sent off having played just four minutes, Town closed out a deserved victory over their local rivals.

Ian Holloway made four changes to the Grimsby team that started the midweek defeat at Plymouth, with Anthony Glennon, Elliott Hewitt, Elliot Grandin and Max Wright all coming back in.

James McKeown started in goal, with Luke Hendrie, Harry Davis, Waterfall and Glennon forming the defence.

Hewitt and Grandin were joined in midfield by Elliott Whitehouse, while Wright, Billy Clarke and Vernam were all named in attack.

The Grimsby substitutes were Sam Russell, Ben Davies, Mattie Pollock, James Tilley, Harry Clifton, Josh Benson and Matt Green.

Scunthorpe came into the game four points and four places below the Mariners in the League Two table but looking to complete a double after winning the reverse fixture at Blundell Park in December.

Striker Kevin van Veen's goal proved to be the difference that day and the Dutchman would be among the dangermen again this time around.

Town won the first corner of the game in the opening minute but it did not lead to a goalscoring opportunity as Scunthorpe eventually cleared the ball.

A foul on Hewitt inside the home half gave Town another opportunity to create danger on six minutes but Clarke's ball into the box was headed wide by Davis.

Scunthorpe's first attack of note came on nine minutes and saw van Veen attack through the middle before playing the ball to George Miller on the left. His cross went out of play for a goal kick.

Vernam saw a shot blocked after being found by Wright, before a free-kick came when Wright was fouled. Clarke's ball was not fully dealt with by the home defence and Town worked it back for Clarke but his shot was held by keeper Rory Watson.

The Mariners were on top in the early stages and they won another corner on the left on 19 minutes. The ball from it was played to Grandin but his header was cleared and the hosts broke through Miller but he was fouled on the halfway line by Glennon, who was booked.

Waterfall followed him into the referee's notebook when he fouled John McAtee to give Scunthorpe a free kick 25 yards out, which was struck wide by van Veen.

The hosts won their first corner on 25 minutes and from it, McKeown had to come off his line to make a good block after the ball broke for Miller at the far post.

A corner came at the other end six minutes later but Clarke's ball was headed clear.

The first half had been a scrappy affair overall, with few real chances and a lack of quality from both sides.

Three added minutes were played at the end of it and a final opportunity before the break came with a home corner on the right but as Whitehouse hammered the ball clear, the referee's whistle blew and the game remained goalless at the interval.

Pollock replaced Davis as Town made their first substitution before the restart but after a bright start by the visitors, Scunthorpe had the first shooting chance of the second half, which van Veen put wide.

A home corner on 51 minutes was headed clear by Waterfall, before a high, looping cross from the left was well claimed by McKeown.

The Mariners took the lead soon afterwards though when they finally provided the moment of quality the game had been crying out for. Town worked the ball down the left and a chipped cross from Hewitt was met by VERNAM, who headed into the top corner of the net.

Scunthorpe's response saw a corner from the right headed wide by Andy Butler, before a stoppage came with an injury to Glennon. After receiving treatment, he was not fit to continue and was replaced by Tilley.

Clarke tried to take advantage of Watson being off his line with a first-time shot on the hour but the ball was deflected away for a corner on the right. From it, the Mariners doubled their advantage when Clarke's delivery was met by WATERFALL, who had the simple task of nodding it into the net from close range.

Clarke had a chance on 64 minutes but sent his shot over the bar from the edge of the box, before Scunthorpe's first change saw Devarn Green come on in place of Lewis Butroid.

A foul on van Veen gave the hosts a free kick on 70 minute and after van Vaan's chipped delivery to the far post was headed back across goal, McKeown did well to block a shot by Miller.

A low ball by McAtee across goal had to be turned behind for a corner soon afterwards but the delivery from the flag didn't beat the first defender. Town broke through Vernam and then Wright but the move broke down as he slipped.

Green came on for Clarke in Town's final change, before Sutton was sent on in place of Rory McArdle as the home side made their second substitution.

A run by van Veen down the left led to a corner as his shot was deflected wide of the near post but again, he failed to cause any problems from the flag.

Sutton's appearance proved to be a very brief one as he was shown a straight red card for a poor challenge on Whiteouse in front of the dug-outs just four minutes after coming on. Town assistant manager Anthony Limbrick was shown the yellow card after a melee between the coaching staff of both clubs following the foul.

Alex Gillead was booked for bringing Vernam down near the edge of the Scunthorpe box but Grandin's shot from it hit the home wall. Wright did well to bring the ball back under control on the right and send over a cross which was eventually cleared for a throw-in.

Hewitt was booked for a poor challenge on McAtee as he looked to break through the middle but again, the hosts were unable to take advantage from the free-kick.

Five added minutes were played at the end of the game and Town closed them out to seal the win.

The Mariners are next in action on Saturday, when Carlisle United are the visitors to Blundell Park.

United: Watson, Butler, van Veen, Perch, Gabriel, Butroid, Gilliead, McArdle, Miller, Bedeau, McAtee

Subs:Lawlor, Songo’o, Sutton, Green, Rowe, Pugh, Liddle.

McKeown (c), Hendrie, Waterfall, Davis, Glennon, Hewitt, Grandin, Whitehouse, Wright, Clarke, Vernam.

Subs: Russell, Davies, Pollock, Tilley, Clifton, Benson, Green.

Referee: Anthony Backhouse

Attendance: 6,855

Advertisement block