Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Stevenage 0-0 Grimsby Town

Mariners earn a point after goalless draw

31 October 2020

Lee Blease
Matt Green

Grimsby Town earned a point from a goalless draw with Stevenage at The Lamex Stadium.

Both sides created chances, although the hosts had the better opportunities and some great saves from Mariners keeper James McKeown kept the scores level.

Town defended well and had spells of pressure at the other end but were also unable to break the deadlock.

Kyle Bennett was given his first Grimsby start in one of three changes to the team which began the narrow defeat at Forest Green Rovers on Tuesday.

Danny Rose and Matt Green were the others coming into the XI as Duncan Idehen, James Morton and James Hanson dropped out.

McKeown started in goal, with Luke Hendrie, Mattie Pollock, Luke Waterfall and Danny Preston in defence.

Terry Taylor, Bennett, Rose and James Tilley were the midfielders, with Green and Windsor in attack.

Idehen and Hanson were both named among the substitutes, along with Ollie Battersby, Joe Starbuck, Max Wright, Montel Gibson and Virgil Gomis.

Stevenage began the day fourth from bottom of the League Two table, two places and two points behind the Mariners.

But it was the hosts who made the brighter start to the game as a cross from Elliott List in the first minute was met by Marcus Dinanga but his header was brilliantly saved by McKeown.

Town were looking to keep possession and build up attacks in the early stages and a free kick came after a foul on Green on five minutes, although it did not lead to a chance in front of goal.

At the other end, a Stevenage corner led to Charlie Carter shooting wide, before a penalty appeal came from the hosts after List went down inside the box but it was waved away by the referee.

Green did well to get the ball clear after Carter had headed it towards goal, then Town's best chance so far saw Tilley head wide after a cross from Hendrie.

A stoppage came when Tilley was involved in a clash of heads with Luther James-Wildin inside the Stevenage half on 25 minutes. Tilley initially tried to continue but had to come off four minutes later, with Gomis sent on in his place.

An opportunity was created by the home side when List and Arthur Read combined inside the penalty area but when the ball was pulled back across goal, nobody was there to convert the chance.

Another home penalty appeal came when List went down under a challenge from Waterfall on 32 minutes but again, it was turned down as the referee pointed for a corner.

A shot by Read from distance was comfortably stopped by McKeown, then a cross from Preston was caught by home keeper Jamie Cumming after Gomis had chested the ball down for the left-back.

A Town free kick on 42 minutes was sent into the penalty area by Bennett but the offside flag went up against Pollock as he collided with Cumming.

Three added minutes were played at the end of the half and a chance for the hosts came in the third of them but Carter's low shot was weak and the ball went through to McKeown.

There was still time for another opportunity for Stevenage as Dinanga shot from inside the box on the left but his effort hit the far post and bounced away, where it was cleared.waterfall.png

That meant the first half finished goalless, with the home side creating more chances but Town remaining relatively untroubled at the halfway point.

No further changes were made before the restart and Stevenage were the first to attack, with Femi Akinwande blasting a shot high and wide from 20 yards.

Then, four minutes in, a home corner from Read on the right beat everybody as it flashed across the six-yard line and went out for a goal kick.

List volleyed over the bar after the ball broke to him inside the box as the home side continued to put pressure on the Town goal.

Taylor was shown the yellow card for a foul and another chance came from the resulting free kick as Read's delivery was met by Carter but his header was deflected wide by Pollock for a corrner.

A foul on Gomis gave Town a free kick midway inside the Stevenage half on 58 minutes and before it was taken, Hanson was sent on in place of Green. The delivery from the set piece was cleared.

Danny Newton replaced Akinwande for the home side on 62 minutes and the next chance of the game came five minutes later, after Bennett was fouled 35 yards out. His free kick found Hanson but the striker's header was pushed away by Cumming for a corner.

Gibson replaced Bennett in Town's third and final substitution, before a Stevenage chance fell for Coker, whose shot went wide.

A Hendrie cross was blocked for Mariners corner on 76 minutes but the ball from the flag was headed clear at the near post.

Aramide Oteh replaced Dinanga for the hosts with 10 minutes to go, before a mistake let Gomis in but his shot was pushed out for a corner, which was cleared by Scott Cuthbert.

Preston did well to deny List on 82 minutes, before McKeown saved an attempt from Newton soon afterwards.

McKeown was called into action again to tip a shot from Oteh over the bar with a minute left as Stevenage continued to push forward.

Four minutes were added at the end of the game and it was the Mariners' turn to pile on the pressure as they won a corner after Hanson's header from a Gibson cross was deflected behind.

That turned into a string of corners but the away side were unable to find a way past keeper Cumming and the game ended goalless.

Town are next in action on Tuesday, when Barrow are the visitors to Blundell Park.


  1. Jamie Cumming
  2. Luther Wildin
  3. Ben Coker
  4. Scott Cuthbert (C)
  5. Luke Prosser
  6. Charlie Carter
  7. Elliott List
  8. Arthur Read
  9. Romain Vincelot
  10. Femi Akinwande
  11. Marcus Dinanga


  1. William Johnson
  2. Jack Smith
  3. Terence Vancooten
  4. Elliot Osborne
  5. Inih Effiong
  6. Danny Newton
  7. Aramide Oteh


  1. James McKeown (C)
  2. Matthew Pollock
  3. Luke Waterfall
  4. Luke Hendrie
  5. James Tilley
  6. Danny Preston
  7. Kyle Bennett
  8. Danny Rose
  9. Terry Taylor
  10. Owen Windsor
  11. Matt Green


  1. Ollie Battersby
  2. Duncan Idehen
  3. Joseph Starbuck
  4. Max Wright
  5. Montel Gibson

  38.Virgil Gomis
   9. James Hanson

Referee: Sam Allison

Next Up: Barrow (H)

Advertisement block